to think I can be in my 40s and ride a scooter (like kids ones but built for adults) and they can all 'do one?'

(72 Posts)
captainBeaky Thu 16-May-13 19:05:48

That really

EatenByZombies Tue 21-May-13 00:06:58

They're not flabbergasted, they're jealous! wink

PatPig Mon 20-May-13 23:32:47

I saw a woman on a petrol-powered one yesterday, she had an enormous arse, and was getting some comments from passing motorists.

CaurnieBred Mon 20-May-13 21:31:56

I am in my 40s and I have an adult scooter. got it from Lidl. Use it when DD scoots to school rather than cycles and for when take car for service/MOT. Have also used for commute but find it uncomfortable with the laptop.

ByTheSea Mon 20-May-13 21:21:40

Go for it. I used to use one one my commute. It was fun and saved loads of time.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 20-May-13 21:21:39

But it's not on to scoot on the pavement as a grown up, and surely it's dangerous to scoot on the road?

Hazards:
Scooting in rain
Drain covers
Cobbled pavements
When it flips round and chops your ankles
When it flips round and chops someone else's ankles blush
When you run into your own child - more blush

Scooters for mummies rock!
I was concerned about looking daft for all of twenty seconds before I started enjoying myself too much to care.
Twins and me go everywhere on ours. It's taken inches off my waist and bum - really. Saves loads of bus fares. Carry all the shopping book bags and crap over the handlebars. Saves lots of time. Makes me happy!
I got one of these, currently on special offer on amazon:
Razor A5 Lux Kick Scooter http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B002EZZGJO
It's a no brainer and we get loads of nice comments and friendly smiles!

YoniOneWayOfLife Fri 17-May-13 14:24:31

There's a bike circuit near here. Most parents stand in the middle wishing they'd thought about bringing deckchairs but once I went and one mum was rollerskating around grin She looked so cool. I believe she even went round backwards looking at her DC behind her [jealous]

There's a bloke lives down our road who uses his skateboard to get to the station looks a bit too chubby and balding to carry it off though

Londonseye Fri 17-May-13 14:23:43

My kids have micros, I ran to keep up with them then thought "fuck it! Why are they getting all the fun?" And bought myself one. I do get funny looks, I don't think I am "cool", I just think I am having fun with my kids. I go down slides with them, play in the sand and splash in the sea with them, so why not scoot? We are off to the park on go karts tonight! Let the judging commencegrin

mrswoz Fri 17-May-13 14:18:29

I can't wait until DD2 is old enough to scoot, as we won't need a pushchair anymore and we can all scoot to nursery/school/shops etc!

Shame I look such a knob in a helmet. And it messes my hair up so much.

Also, at the back of my mind is a lady I used to work with, was in her late 30's at the time, took up roller blading to work to keep fit, fell and hurt herself really badly one morning, multiple leg fractures. Off work and out of action for months. Not something I'm keen to experience!

edwardsmum11 Fri 17-May-13 11:26:36

As long as you aren't on pavement, knock yourself out.

MadameBlavatsky Fri 17-May-13 11:07:20

I really, really want some roller skates. The quad ones though not those new fangled in-line things.

I will, if you will OP! grin

Cookethenook Fri 17-May-13 09:38:34

DS has a micro scooter (suitable for adults, not the plasticy ones for under 5s) and i have to take it to school for him sometimes. The logical thing to do is to ride it!
Not only is it faster than walking (half hour walk), if you carry or push it, the bloody thing has a habit of swinging around and breaking your ankles.
I'm aware that i look a little odd, but i really couldn't care less tbh!

Plus, it's super-fun...

Otherworld Fri 17-May-13 07:25:44

Mmm I am loving the idea of swapping the Waterloo and City line for a scoot along the Thames grin

JollyOrangeGiant Fri 17-May-13 07:23:37

My Grandfather, in his 70s, fell off a scooter and broke his arm. Although the medical professionals in A&E did a great job patching him up, they did laugh a bit when they heard what happened.

fuzzypicklehead Fri 17-May-13 07:11:34

Now I really want one. Just need to decide between the regular sort and the two-legged type...

DPotter Fri 17-May-13 02:13:09

I got a scooter for my birthday a few weeks ago and I'm in my 50s ! Great fun. and funnily enough those who mocked now are asking for a go......

DaveMccave Fri 17-May-13 00:37:00

I would be delighted to see it. I really want one but don't have the guts. I did ride dd's mini micro down a hill home from a friends once when drunk (she wasn't with me!) and nearly died a couple of times, but it's the shame of being caught in daylight that bothers me more than that experience. This is a case for wanting to follow the crowd, than wanting to start the adult scooter revolution. I might be tempted when she gets the next size up...

whois Thu 16-May-13 22:34:28

Yes! Totally yes! If I had kids and they had scooters I would totally get an adult one. Scooting it such fun!

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 16-May-13 22:29:01

Do it.

WafflyVersatile Thu 16-May-13 22:25:25

I quite like the idea of having one to get to the tube station but not carrying it around when I can't use it.

bluecarrot Thu 16-May-13 22:24:55

Oh and we looked into them after seeing all the dishy dads out on them with their kids in the parks in London. ;)

bluecarrot Thu 16-May-13 22:23:27

My legs ache after going on it! Plus I went on it, downhill, after 2 glasses of wine once. Don't do that.

Just remember to often bolts etc and wash it once in a while ( bots every few weeks at start, then once a month, washing I do once a month when I tighten it all up)

DD uses hers daily ( micro scooter, possibly the sprite?) and a little bit of rust is starting to show after 2 years. It's kept inside except for school when it's in a bike shed. I def wouldn't leave it outside in a garden.

zeno Thu 16-May-13 22:16:48

Adult size micro scooter here, which both dh and I use on the school run. It's bloody brilliant. Far from finding it silly the other grown ups keep asking to have a go.

It's great aerobic activity and fun. What's not to like?

TheoriginalMrsDarcy Thu 16-May-13 21:21:49

Do whatever makes you happy. Have no regrets in life.

If people think its silly, let them.

I think I might have to get one now. Sounds totally fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now