To spell 'Auntie' < this way?

(86 Posts)
Spice17 Thu 16-May-13 14:08:37

It's my DN christening on Sunday so DH and I have bought her a lovely Owl teddy with a message on.

Have always spelt 'Auntie' like this (so this on how it was put onto the owl) but DSIL showed me a T Shirt DN had on the other day and it said 'I love my Aunty'.

I said, 'Oh how cute', but was really thinking 'Bugger, we've spelt it wrong on the present'!

We both thought 'Auntie' was the right spelling, am I wrong? And if I am, don't most people spell it that way anyway? It might be just me but 'Aunty' looks wrong.

....Actually, now I type it, it looks right?! confused and how many times can I get the word Auntie in a thread!

Still18atheart Thu 16-May-13 22:14:58

I spell it auntie. IMO Aunty is the american spelling

Bosgrove Thu 16-May-13 21:53:55

I am Aunty, my first name ends with a y so it looks silly with Auntie. My family only the other hand always spell it Auntie on my cards from my nieces and nephew.

Spice17 Thu 16-May-13 18:20:49

OK, OK, so I think we're all agreed:

Auntie/Aunty are both fine - though as previous posters have said, both now look weird and just wrong!

Grannie/Granny and Nanny/Nannie are also both used BUT.............

Under no circumstances should we be using Daddie (type of Brown sauce) and Mummie (just weird/wrong) <shudders>

ftm42 Thu 16-May-13 18:17:48

I have an "Auntie" Margi and had an "Aunt" Nansi. We also had an "Aunty May", who lived with her sister "Auntie Beattie"! Maybe it's just the ending of the name?

Don't think anyone really minds!

HesterShaw Thu 16-May-13 18:12:06

All the phone's fault, clearly. The dirty bastard.

noteventhebestdrummer Thu 16-May-13 18:11:14

My rude phone autocorrects 'aunt' to 'c***'...

IneedAyoniNickname Thu 16-May-13 18:03:03

Just asked ds2 what the sound 'au' makes in phonics. It's 'or' so technically its orntie? grin

squoosh Thu 16-May-13 17:53:32

It's very difficult to convey pronunciation through the written word.

Anti sounds perfect to me! It all depends on where you're from doesn't it? There isn't a correct accent.

HesterShaw Thu 16-May-13 17:51:35

Tar-ah.

TidyDancer Thu 16-May-13 17:50:17

Squoosh, I have no idea what kind of pronunciation you are going for with taw raw! It's pronounced Tar-er (that's the closest I can get to spelling it out!).

TidyDancer Thu 16-May-13 17:48:12

Why would you say ant? It's the 'u' that changes the sound.

Anti sounds very strange to me.

VenusStarr Thu 16-May-13 17:38:53

I'm an auntie smile it looks weird the other way.

louisianablue2000 Thu 16-May-13 17:37:32

Why would you say arnt? There's no 'r'???? You English, removing 'r's from words that have them and adding them to words that don't shudders at the thought of 'draw-ring'

squoosh Thu 16-May-13 17:35:45

You've just reminded me of the way English people pronounce Tara, taw-raw.

TidyDancer Thu 16-May-13 17:32:42

It's spelt auntie afaik, but I've never heard it pronounced anti, other than as a regional accent.

Now kind of reminds me of the way some Americans say the name Tara as terror.

limitedperiodonly Thu 16-May-13 17:27:28

It's Arnt.

Daddy is good.

Daddie's sauce is wrong on so many levels.

squoosh Thu 16-May-13 17:12:48

My vowels prefer to remain resolutely flat!

valiumredhead Thu 16-May-13 17:09:56

You would squoosh wink

squoosh Thu 16-May-13 17:04:59

I pronounce it anti.

valiumredhead Thu 16-May-13 17:03:21

Pronounced Ahhhntee, surely? ARnty?! grin

IneedAyoniNickname Thu 16-May-13 16:54:43

Auntie, pronounced arnty.
I still refer to my Aunties and Uncles as Auntie and Uncle, but I think that's more so the dc know who they are, I don't call them Auntie/Uncle to their face.eg, I'd say to the Dcs, "we are going to see Auntie Pam and Uncle Henry today". Then when we get there, I'd say "hi Pam, hi Henry"

Also have a Nannie, she hates the spelling Nanny.

Actually, thinking about it, when refering to my.Aunties and Uncles with the dc, they are Great Auntie/Uncle. for this reason my cousin dc call our Auntie Grantie! My dad refused to be known as Gruncle though!

HesterShaw Thu 16-May-13 16:42:36

Daddie? Like the tomato ketchup? <horrified>

Mehrida Thu 16-May-13 16:31:16

I am an auntie. Unfortunately DS has several auntys (now that really looks wrong.

I pronounce it anti because, well, there isn't an 'r' in it.

MrsVamos Thu 16-May-13 16:29:33

Oooh, no, valium Daddy is OK.

squoosh's Daddie is not. It's got to be HP. According to DH.

I did say I was weird. grin

squoosh Thu 16-May-13 16:26:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now