To spell 'Auntie' < this way?

(86 Posts)
Spice17 Thu 16-May-13 14:08:37

It's my DN christening on Sunday so DH and I have bought her a lovely Owl teddy with a message on.

Have always spelt 'Auntie' like this (so this on how it was put onto the owl) but DSIL showed me a T Shirt DN had on the other day and it said 'I love my Aunty'.

I said, 'Oh how cute', but was really thinking 'Bugger, we've spelt it wrong on the present'!

We both thought 'Auntie' was the right spelling, am I wrong? And if I am, don't most people spell it that way anyway? It might be just me but 'Aunty' looks wrong.

....Actually, now I type it, it looks right?! confused and how many times can I get the word Auntie in a thread!

HesterShaw Thu 16-May-13 14:34:52

Agreed it is one of those words which is starting to look weirder and weirder the more you look at it confused

Punkatheart Thu 16-May-13 14:35:14

I am a proofreader. Auntie is correct.

GoodbyePorkPie Thu 16-May-13 14:41:54

Punk I'm a subeditor - we use 'aunty'!

limitedperiodonly Thu 16-May-13 14:42:46

hester have you ever considered what you might be doing to them? Eh?

My SIL insists her children call me Auntie Limited. It makes me feel like a 98-year-old character in an Enid Blyton novel when I'm young and groovy dammit.

ajandjjmum Thu 16-May-13 14:43:31

DH has lots of 'antis' too! I think it's 'Auntie'.

HesterShaw Thu 16-May-13 14:43:57

But I can't just call them Margaret and Kathy etc. It would be all kinds of wrong! shock

chesticles Thu 16-May-13 14:48:37

What is the opinion on Granny/Grannie? My mum signs herself Grannie on cards to my DC and it just looks wrong to me. I always use Granny.

KellyElly Thu 16-May-13 15:15:47

The more I look at them they both look wrong grin

Punkatheart Thu 16-May-13 15:16:46

BBC English is auntie. Aunty! How deviant! wink

Granny.

Decoy Thu 16-May-13 15:17:01

Auntie and Granny.

GibberTheMonkey Thu 16-May-13 15:18:12

Auntie and Granny
Or Aunt Evelyn (more stately)

Meerkatwhiskers Thu 16-May-13 15:22:07

I have Auntie's (pronounced arntie as i'm from the sarf) and I have a Nan just to throw a spanner in the works grin

raisinggirls Thu 16-May-13 15:22:11

Americans use "Aunt". They thought I was funny when I said "Auntie" as an adult.

ie is the spelling I use, but I think it is interchangeable.

Longdistance Thu 16-May-13 15:24:59

Aunty here I'm afraid.

Auntie spelt like that deserves an 's' on the end ....aunties.

Auntie pronounced anti. I'm about as southern as you can get without leaving the country smile

Raeray Thu 16-May-13 15:32:00

Yes longdistance that is my thinking too! I know lots of people do spell it auntie but its not right wink I'm surprised so many people think it is!

squoosh Thu 16-May-13 15:34:15

Aunty

Granny

reelingintheyears Thu 16-May-13 15:35:15

Auntie here but DPs family refer to themselves as Aunt,as in your Aunt Jane etc.

I don't like it but they are Scottish and i think that's just their way of speaking.

LemonPeculiarJones Thu 16-May-13 15:35:37

Auntie. Granny.

reelingintheyears Thu 16-May-13 15:38:38

Grannie here squoosh grin

Well,soon to be anyway!

I've always spelt it Auntie.

And I say Anti, 'cos I'm Northern.

GoofyIsACow Thu 16-May-13 15:41:07

I spell it Aunty, because my name is one of those which can be spelt with an 'ie' or a 'y' at the end and I am the (less popular but infinitely cooler ) latter, so i like to match my y's grin

PipkinsPal Thu 16-May-13 15:54:13

Although I am an Auntie my niece calls me Atee. She is only 2 and she cannot pronounce it properly or perhaps I will always be known to her as Atee. A friend is a Great Aunt and is called Great Aunt Julia which sounds awfully grand and sophisticated.

valiumredhead Thu 16-May-13 16:09:34

Either spelling and Granny.

Tanith Thu 16-May-13 16:14:03

I always assumed that 'Auntie' was British and 'Aunty' was American. This is because 'Debbie' tends to be the British (and American) spelling, but I've read older American books that spell it 'Debby'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now