To spell 'Auntie' < this way?

(86 Posts)
Spice17 Thu 16-May-13 14:08:37

It's my DN christening on Sunday so DH and I have bought her a lovely Owl teddy with a message on.

Have always spelt 'Auntie' like this (so this on how it was put onto the owl) but DSIL showed me a T Shirt DN had on the other day and it said 'I love my Aunty'.

I said, 'Oh how cute', but was really thinking 'Bugger, we've spelt it wrong on the present'!

We both thought 'Auntie' was the right spelling, am I wrong? And if I am, don't most people spell it that way anyway? It might be just me but 'Aunty' looks wrong.

....Actually, now I type it, it looks right?! confused and how many times can I get the word Auntie in a thread!

Auntie is correct. I growl when I see it spelled the other way.

Primrose123 Thu 16-May-13 14:10:09

I think they're both considered correct. I prefer Auntie though. smile

PipkinsPal Thu 16-May-13 14:10:34

I'm an Auntie and when my niece was born I said I wanted it spelt that way. I also have Auntie's of my own. Aunty just looks all wrong.

Startail Thu 16-May-13 14:11:10

Auntie Aunty iPhone lets you have either, but I'm sure the first is correct.

GoodbyePorkPie Thu 16-May-13 14:11:20

I prefer 'aunty', but I'm sure your SIL won't care about the alternative spelling.

Auntie here

RosinaCopper Thu 16-May-13 14:12:22

I agree with you on the spelling Auntie, so YANBU in my opinion!

Do you also say it 'arnty' rather than 'anti'? I don't much like being called an ant or anti Rosina - I'm not anti myself. (But I am fussy - not that I think you are, though OP!)

NotSoNervous Thu 16-May-13 14:12:30

I spell it auntie

gordyslovesheep Thu 16-May-13 14:12:43

I thought Aunty was correct - but either is 'acceptable' ...I don't have a preference but always spell it with a Y - mind you I am a woman so my spelling is, naturally, bad

Spice17 Thu 16-May-13 14:12:49

Hooray, common sense prevails and I don't have to buy another present thanks!

I agree, Auntie just looks 'right'. I bet that T Shirt was from John Lewis as well, fancy them getting a spelling wrong grin

UserError Thu 16-May-13 14:13:48

Auntie is used for the relatives I like, aunty for the ones I don't. ;-)

DewDr0p Thu 16-May-13 14:14:01

I spell it Auntie too (but I don't either is wrong). Say it anti (rather than arnti) because I am from the North.

I'd spell it Aunty but I think both are fine. Auntie is definitely not wrong. Just different. You'll probably get 50/50 on here!

Spice17 Thu 16-May-13 14:14:58

I say 'Anti' too common as!

Wishiwasanheiress Thu 16-May-13 14:14:59

Hmmm well, All my aunts when I was a kid were aunties if talked about plurally but aunty if i talked about just one. Or they were aunt (maud). This is the most amount of thought I've ever given to this question in 36yrs. Tbh I really wouldn't worry about it.

gordyslovesheep Thu 16-May-13 14:15:29

I wonder if it's an age thing? I am 43 and was taught to spell it with a Y - I am also northern and say 'anti'

Auntie looks so much better. That's how it's spelt in my family.

Aunty looks wrong - sort of truncated. Which I suppose it is...

kissmyshineymetalass Thu 16-May-13 14:17:57

I spell it auntie but after reading this thread I've read the word so many times its lost all meaning grin

Startail Thu 16-May-13 14:18:10

Anti for me too, being a Yorkshire lass.

My DM always refuses to be anti 'name' she says she's pro 'name'

And don't google the aunt/auntie/Aunty question it will leave you confused

RosinaCopper Thu 16-May-13 14:20:45

Yikes! I might be your mother, Startail!

livinginwonderland Thu 16-May-13 14:20:56

It's always been "auntie" for me.

limitedperiodonly Thu 16-May-13 14:21:39

Sorry OP, when I rule the world no one will be allowed to use anything except for Aunt to refer to the sister of a child's parent unless they are under six.

But if you must, I would grudgingly say you're right and Auntie is better.

<shudder>
<I know I am a big snob>
<In Limitedland you wouldn't be able to call yourself Aunt unless you were related to the child either>

loofet Thu 16-May-13 14:27:30

Technically it's Aunt. Aunty/Auntie are used in some cultures to address older ladies within the family and Aunt is your parents sister.

But either spelling is acceptable although up until now I always thought Auntie was wrong so I learned something new.

HesterShaw Thu 16-May-13 14:34:01

limted, I still call my parents' sisters and SILs Auntie + name and I am 38. So there! <sticks out tongue>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now