to expect my buttercream not to curdle

(83 Posts)

I'm trying to cut costs by using marj instead of ridiculously expensive butter, but the icing just turns to a wet curdled mess and looks utterly gross and unusable. My sister says she has never made butter icing with butter and always uses marj. Why won't it work? I've tried the soft stuff, and also the hard baking fat stuff, but both failed. Yuck. Any advice?

Baking marj from Sainsburys. There's a similar one in Tescos and Asda as well but not quite so cheap. They are fine in baking... victoria sponges etc. Mary Berry uses marj in sponges. You get better rise! I'd never use it in brownies or flapjacks though. Yuck.

EggsMichelle Thu 16-May-13 20:58:19

HaHa, I read that as But Cream, and wondered if haemorrhoid cream went out of date and curdled!!!

Bunbaker Thu 16-May-13 21:08:48

I always use margarine for sponge cakes, but not for icing.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 16-May-13 21:13:37

Oh God, margarine is bad enough, but £2 for 2 kilos? Yuck. Better make sure you get the napkins ready.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 16-May-13 21:18:53

Don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar, etc...

Just use butter, and let people enjoy the cakes.

Cakebitch Thu 16-May-13 21:21:00

Ever heard the saying...'good cake isnt cheap and cheap cake isnt good'? margarine is only fit for one thing..the bin.

Bunbaker Thu 16-May-13 21:31:17

Never heard that before, but I agree with you.

Fakebook Thu 16-May-13 21:35:19

I never use marg for buttercream icing ever since I used clover once and it tasted like shit. I've tried stork in the past too and the icing doesn't set hard like it does with butter.

I made cupcakes for a friend's son's birthday party on Sunday and followed the buttercream icing recipe from here. 2 sticks of butter is about 225g of butter (yum) I used salted butter. 6-8 cups is a whole 500g pack of icing sugar. Instead of milk, I used double cream and then added splashes of milk to soften it to my liking. It came out much better than usual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now