Mumsnet are deleting far too many threads

(68 Posts)
KevinFoley Thu 16-May-13 12:40:47

Not for very understandable reasons a lot of the time. it's all got too zealous. No controversial subjects = Netmums

NotYoMomma Thu 16-May-13 12:45:30

People's comments are getting deleted ott too...

People can put stuff like 'really op?' Or 'I don't believe it happened quite like that because of x, y and z' and get deleted

Then MN delete the thread because f too many deleted comments!

It's all a bit report/ delete crazy atm

ClaraOswald Thu 16-May-13 12:48:28

alternatively, perhaps these are previously banned posters?

KevinFoley Thu 16-May-13 12:49:40

Yes it's becoming way over moderated. Justifying the existence of the 60 Mumsnet employees perhaps?

everlong Thu 16-May-13 12:50:37

Yep there's been quite a few kicking around Clara.

Maryz Thu 16-May-13 12:51:27

Well, any I have seen deleted recently appear to me to be hairy-handed op's. So I'm fine with them going.

I agree about over-deletion of some posts.

everlong Thu 16-May-13 12:51:53

Not a lot you can do about though Kevin apart from tootle off somewhere else is there?

AtYourCervix Thu 16-May-13 12:52:14

I haven't been deleted for aaaaages.
And I'm still waiting for MNHQ to make me a job offer.
Humph.

KevinFoley Thu 16-May-13 12:52:31

Does it really matter that much if the OP/poster has been banned before if what they are writing isn't offensive? Who knows who anybody is on the internet. I believe half the stuff on here I read is made up or exaggerated anyway.

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 12:53:24

How do MNHQ know that it's a PBP, though...is it like magic, or somefink?

KevinFoley Thu 16-May-13 12:57:04

No i think there is a clutching pearls alert button for some subjects and when one of those flash up they hover waiting to find a reason to delete. If they can't they tell us they have reason to believe it's a deliberately goading thread or the OP is previously banned. It's all bullshit.

Maryz Thu 16-May-13 12:57:04

Of course it matters hmm. You can't have people with multiple personae and multiple lives posting on sensitive boards, drawing posters in to their imaginative dramas.

That's how trolling gets nasty.

TSSDNCOP LaQ, but I suspect it's to do with IP addresses and trolls trying to be too clever not covering their arses.

Maryz Thu 16-May-13 12:58:13

And I agree, Ken, if you dislike it that much email hq about specific threads, start a petition in Site Stuff or bugger off find another site.

But good luck in finding one less moderated.

TunipTheVegedude Thu 16-May-13 13:00:56

But if you were not a PBP and had started a thread that got deleted because it became a bunfight, you'd be a bit pissed off if they claimed you were a PBP when you weren't. So I don't believe they are making it up.

And why does it matter if it's a PBP - because trolls who can be bothered to often post benign stuff to build up a posting history before going in for the kill with the wanktrolling/feminist-discrediting/just plain nasty stuff.

KevinFoley Thu 16-May-13 13:01:02

gosh a little sensitive Maryz, anyone would think you work here?

I have enjoyed Mumsnet precisely because of the lack of moderation, it's a shame if it becomes too boring and loses members, no?

And i'll post where I like (unless you'd like that choice moderated too?)

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 13:03:14

"TSSDNCOP"

Mary And, what is that supposed to mean, pray tell [feels like she's entered a parallel universe]

Startail Thu 16-May-13 13:03:21

The only threads I've seen delegated recently was a definite case of bridge dwelling and a very unpleasant triggering thread title deliberately aimed at upsetting the feminist board.

Maryz Thu 16-May-13 13:07:18

Sensitive, me? [arf]

I was trying to be helpful with the "post in Site Stuff" suggestion confused. If you have a specific problem with a specific thread or deletion, email them or post in SS where they will see it and respond.

It's Olivia's, LaQ, from The West Wing.

The Secret Service Does Not Comment On Procedure (I think).

Januarymadness Thu 16-May-13 13:07:33

yabu. Mn have their reasons. It is their site at they are not obliged to explain anything to anyone.

Most of the time its because of the hairy of hand or very real personal attacks.

The heavy handedness can come in when posts that refer to deleted posts are deleted too but that's life.

KittensandKids Thu 16-May-13 13:08:15

My deletions have mainly been PBannedPosters, MNHQ can ban their IP but some may try be clever and come in via a proxy server with private IP

I used to do that at College when playing with the Librarys disc drawers, popping them in and out and in and out

It was all so much easier then, you could even climb inside people PC's and pop up and say 'hello', if you were that way inclined obviously, i was at college to learn......

Did netbums thread kick off then?

KittensandKids Thu 16-May-13 13:08:53

LaQueen that is a posters name

LaQueen Thu 16-May-13 13:10:29

But, why would someone deliberately start a thread, trying to goad/troll/whatever?

Why can't they just have fun on MN, like everyone else...or, if they dislike a thread, I dunno...stop reading it, and go and find another one?

I just don't get the angst, and the intense hair-splitting, and the frothing berserkers, and the cunning sub-texts, and spreadsheets and hidden agendas, and the coded twitches, and slight-of-keyboards...why?

[feels confused, and tearful...and needs a restorative cup of tea]

Why don't you post in Site Stuff and ask MN about it if you are worried OP?

girliefriend Thu 16-May-13 13:11:23

Somebody please tell me what PBP means?!

I am feeling confused as usual

nenevomito Thu 16-May-13 13:11:24

Justifying the existence of the 60 Mumsnet employees perhaps?

Thats a bit rude OP.

I agree that there are too many thread deletions. If its a PBP, but the thread is an interesting one, they could ban the OP, but keep the thread, perhaps?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now