to wonder how many babies will be named Tyrion, Cersei, Daenerys, Sansa etc in the next few years?

(97 Posts)
ophelia275 Thu 16-May-13 11:21:57

I am sure there will be a fair few.

I really like the names Tyrion and Daenerys.

Parajse Thu 16-May-13 16:41:20

Oh dear, DD's teachers are going to be laughing at me when she starts school next term blush Hers is a real name though, promise.

ShowOfHands Thu 16-May-13 16:44:47

I know somebody who has a Khaleesi. It's clearly happening already.

But what do I know, my child is named after a ninja turtle?

Bue Thu 16-May-13 17:28:24

GRRM is a genius namer, he really has a knack for it. Love how the more 'out there' names are mixed in with normal names with yoonik spellings (Margaery anyone?) and they all meld into a lovely name stew.

Jorah is another great one.

FarleyD Thu 16-May-13 18:01:21

My dd (18) is named one of those names. I didn't know there was one in Game of Thrones. In all her years, I've only ever come across one othe person with the same name, and totally coincidentally, that was the daughter of an old school friend of mine.

Circe is a name. Just not a very flattering one!

I think a nice thing about the series is the way Martin chooses names that have a ring of familiarity while still being not quite what we use.

I agree with bue that he has a real knack for it.

Gooeyhead Thu 16-May-13 18:29:49

Ahhhh so that's where Brienne is from?!! My 1 yr old DD goes to nursery; there's 2 (yes 2) Brienne's.. I thought the parents where fans of Dancing on Ice!!!

I think Brianne is a real name? Not sure.

BikeRunSki Thu 16-May-13 19:17:47

There's an Anakin at work! I have never met him, he's in a different office, but I have been his name on the email address book. I imagine him (or her? ) to be about 30 and wearing black jeans and faded black tour T shirts.

Beechview Thu 16-May-13 19:25:14

Khaleesa is a popular Arabic name.

ImAlpharius Thu 16-May-13 19:28:27

I was really taken with Eddard and still am. I like Rickon and Benjen too.

But then I had a phase of wanting to use Sparhawk or Belgarath.

Bunbaker Thu 16-May-13 19:33:36

I have never heard of those names. The won't mean anything to those of us who haven't watched/read whatever it is they come from.

Solaia Thu 16-May-13 20:38:39

I love Arya but I'm a bit concerned about the popularity thing.

DH likes Oriana (sp?) which is from some Xbox game. Fable maybe? I do quite like it though, for some reason much more so than Arianna even though they are similar.

Alayne (stone) is just pronounced a lain afaik. Sounds like Elaine. Not glamorous.

Gooeyhead Thu 16-May-13 21:18:06

LRD yes Brianne is a real name (like DoI) but these are both spelt Brienne!!! smile

Takingbackmonday Thu 16-May-13 21:19:20

I thought Alayne was a-lay-nee

SlumberingDormouse Thu 16-May-13 21:22:39

Sansa is pronounced just like 'tsantsa', which is a shrunken head. Not a good connotation! I quite like some of the others but wouldn't use them as they're too out there for me and will date badly IMHO.

blush Sorry, gooey.

Mind you, speaking of pronunciations, 'sanza' is close to 'unless', which isn't great.

UserError Thu 16-May-13 23:43:01

Pah. I don't like that pronounciation. She shall remain Ah-lay-nah in my head, and it's my head so you can't tell me I can't, so nyeh.

expatinscotland Thu 16-May-13 23:52:58

Dalla, Gilly, Olenna.

The possibilities are endless.

UserError Thu 16-May-13 23:55:08

I need another pet so I have an excuse to name it Jon Snow. That would go very well with Samwell Tarly the mental cat.

Bran was my top boy's name, but I have 2 dds so it shall be sadly unused. I didn't get it from GoT, though, I got it from the Dark is Rising books. Is that better or worse?

mrsdinklage Fri 17-May-13 00:15:41

Tyrion - hmm I like it
But why would anyone want to name their child after a character in a book grin
Joffrey - that would be seriously wrong to call a baby that shock

AudrinaAdare Fri 17-May-13 01:13:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bran?

I prefer Mightily Oats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now