Lobby Procter and Gamble to stop using plastic applicators

(136 Posts)
RCallway Thu 16-May-13 09:51:20

Please join me in lobbying Procter and Gamble to stop using unnecessary plastic applicators. Write to:

Bob McDonald - CEO: mcdonald.r@pg.com
freda.f@pg.com
daley.c@pg.com
mcdonald.r@pg.com
arnold.s@pg.com

I sent them the following message which you can amend / use if you like:

Dear Bob

I bought Tampax Compak for the first time in a very long time at a shop because I had no alternative options. I was extremely shocked and disappointed to find a plastic, unrecycled, non-degradable applicator. Surely P&C have the skills and global conscience to use a degradable and recycled cardboard applicator - if it has to use one at all?! Using petroleum-based plastic is an extremely backward step - both an anti-green and anti-social choice. I understand some women feel the need to use applicators but please, please, please look at alternative options or save money and the environment and drop the applicator altogether.

Best wishes

FJL203 Thu 16-May-13 18:50:29

A no from me too. It's not top of my list of things to worry about.

whoneedssleepanyway Thu 16-May-13 18:53:24

Why does anyone need an applicator? Lillets here

CarpeVinum Thu 16-May-13 18:59:42

I like an applicator due to enjoying dripping blood off my fingers as much as I enjoy blowing my nose directly onto my hand.

Ie ...not a lot.

Sparklingbrook Thu 16-May-13 19:00:42

I prefer an applicator so I don't have to stick my hand up my fanjo.

Areyoumadorisitme Thu 16-May-13 19:01:35

I much prefer the plastic ones too, sorry OP.

As to why not use lillets, never got used to positioning it properly without an applicator. Quite happy with the applicators thanks.

PooFlower Thu 16-May-13 19:35:00

YABU I could only use towels until I tried tampax pearl, cardboard applicators get stuck and collapse inside me so its impossible to push them into place without wasting half a pack.
Non applicator tampons are no use to me as I can't get them in high enough I've even tried lying on the bed legs akimbo but I can feel the tampon as soon as I get up.
I would be interested in a reuseable washable plastic aplicator that could be used with non applicator tampons as the Pearl tampons are very expensive

cherryade8 Thu 16-May-13 19:44:26

I only use non applicator tampons, more discrete to carry to the ladies at work, cheaper and better for the environment.

Decoy Thu 16-May-13 19:48:27

> Why does anyone need an applicator?

My fingers aren't especially long and they don't push the tampon in far enough. So applicator it is.

theodorakisses Thu 16-May-13 19:54:37

I don't care a jot

WithASpider Thu 16-May-13 19:56:47

Ooh, Yes poo! Since having the DC my vagina is a bit of an odd shape so I've had to stop using my favourite li-lets tampons. Tampax Pearl is now my tampon of choice, and i never thought i'd say that!

(same odd shape means a mooncup is out of the question too)

CarpeVinum Thu 16-May-13 19:58:30

better for the environment

<wrestles vagina off hapless polar bear>

I will give up plastic applicators when not one paint ball is left in play on the planet. Ditto trampolines. And all grown boyz toys. And playstations. In fact all and any non femsanpro product that is about fun rather than comfort which nobody plonks piety points on just cos they use a differnet kind.

Oh And I don't drive. And I haven't flown home in three years (cos I can't cope with the new "renew your passport in France, even though you don't live there" voicemail nightmare known as Dante's Latest Circle of Hell Going Nowhere Fast With Much Frustration. But that's not thenpoint jet fuel is jet fuel). I heat my home solely with wood.

So take that Pious Pussies United !

Decoy Thu 16-May-13 19:59:30

Agree that plastic ones pinch.

phantomnamechanger Thu 16-May-13 20:00:28

PMSL @ I know these threads, any minute now my vagina will once again be accused of personally killing a polar bear grin

VenusStarr Thu 16-May-13 20:01:04

I must be doing it wrong hmm I find the plastic applicators really painful, and even with the tampon in, I could still feel it and have to take it out. I stopped using tampons for months then I discovered that they still sold cardboard applicators and my vadge is happy again smile

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 16-May-13 20:05:44

I like your post carpevinum

I like lillets personally, but would prefer plastic applicators to cardboard ones. And if you really cared about the environment surely you would use washable pads or a mooncup.

This is very low down on my list of environmental things to care about. I only have once child and don't have a dishwasher so that's my offset.mgrin

RandomMess Thu 16-May-13 20:07:44

I switched to a mooncup, far more environmentally friendly...

UterusUterusGhali Thu 16-May-13 20:07:54

I thought it was just me who got all middle-class hand wringy about the plastic ones.

I just dont use them for my own, wooly, leftie, birkinstock wearing reasons.

Also, they pinch like a motherfucker.

Sparklingbrook Thu 16-May-13 20:09:42

Yes, thank you Uterus and Venus they really pinch don't they? Painful.

CarpeVinum Thu 16-May-13 20:13:25

Far more environmentally friendly...

Right That's It.

<grabs polar bear by scruff>

Fluffy Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttssssssss! Din Dins!!

rubyflipper Thu 16-May-13 20:13:35

I was wondering when the mooncupers would pop in.
grin

notallytuts Thu 16-May-13 20:14:06

I hate cardboard applicators, they're horrid to use, they always bend or get squashed or disintegrate if I'm particularly heavy. Plastic or none for me, depending on my mood. But I usually use a mooncup anyway

<pointless>

Sparklingbrook Thu 16-May-13 20:14:57

I don't fancy the mooncup at all. The thought of faffing with it in public loos. sad

RachelHRD Thu 16-May-13 20:18:49

Umm no thanks I find cardboard applicators incredibly painful to use and currently can only use Tampax Pearl without suffering eye watering pain and not being able to insert them properly.

Why don't you do those of us who suffer like this a favour and lobby for something else.......hmm

daisydoodoo Thu 16-May-13 20:20:01

Another one here who has only been able to use tampons since plastic applicators became available.
Please dont get rid of them. Due to gynae issues the mooncup is no longer an option.

QueenStromba Thu 16-May-13 20:21:05

You don't need to faff with it in public loos Sparkling - I empty mine in the morning and in the evening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now