Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Lobby Procter and Gamble to stop using plastic applicators

(136 Posts)
RCallway Thu 16-May-13 09:51:20

Please join me in lobbying Procter and Gamble to stop using unnecessary plastic applicators. Write to:

Bob McDonald - CEO: mcdonald.r@pg.com
freda.f@pg.com
daley.c@pg.com
mcdonald.r@pg.com
arnold.s@pg.com

I sent them the following message which you can amend / use if you like:

Dear Bob

I bought Tampax Compak for the first time in a very long time at a shop because I had no alternative options. I was extremely shocked and disappointed to find a plastic, unrecycled, non-degradable applicator. Surely P&C have the skills and global conscience to use a degradable and recycled cardboard applicator - if it has to use one at all?! Using petroleum-based plastic is an extremely backward step - both an anti-green and anti-social choice. I understand some women feel the need to use applicators but please, please, please look at alternative options or save money and the environment and drop the applicator altogether.

Best wishes

QueenStromba Thu 16-May-13 10:30:40

Your time would be better spent trying to persuade more women to use re-useable sanitary protection such as mooncups, washable pads and sponges. I've had my mooncup for about three years now which means I've saved the use of hundreds of tampons with associated packaging in that time.

I prefer the plastic ones. Cardboard ones hurt.

Don't buy them if you don't like them.

SirBoobAlot Thu 16-May-13 10:32:57

Hate the card ones.

There are many questionable areas of P&G. Plastic applicators are not one of them.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 16-May-13 10:34:43

Bob - can I think we deserve some free samples for sticking up for you on AIBU. grin

Gobbolinothewitchscat Thu 16-May-13 10:35:41

callway - have you actually had any response?

CrowsLanding Thu 16-May-13 10:36:59

Cardboard ones snag and hurt.
Sorry op but Yabu.

I much prefer the plastic ones.

ryanboy Thu 16-May-13 10:37:38

YABU You would use non applicator ones or even those god awful mooncups if you really cared about all this environment bollox

WandaDoff Thu 16-May-13 10:38:30

I think we'd be better off having a campaign to make sanitary products free. Around half the population will be using them regularly at some point.

DrWhoTenant Thu 16-May-13 10:40:39

Nope plastic far better cardboard applicators pinch and bend and get ruined in your handbag

lurcherlover Thu 16-May-13 10:48:11

I much preferred plastic ones when I used them - cardboard always used to stick so I couldn't push the small tube in the big one. But then I discovered the mooncup and will never go back to tampons!

NotYoMomma Thu 16-May-13 10:54:31

This is the biggest waste of your time you could possibly come up with

Tee2072 Thu 16-May-13 10:57:14

I was wondering when the mooncupers would pop in. grin

Plastic every time. I always keep a couple in my bag in case I get caught out. Cardboard ones get squashed but the plastic ones don't. Never had pinching from either type.

Why not just use Lilletts? No applicator at all, just a rounded end and you shove it in /up with your finger? confused

badtasteyoni Thu 16-May-13 11:05:15

YABU.

If you're that bothered about recycling don't use tampons at all. Various reuseable alternatives smile

Vagndidit Thu 16-May-13 11:30:40

Cardboard applicators are horrid. I nearly gave up on tampons until the Tampax Pearl came along.

Chocovore Thu 16-May-13 11:34:28

I don't get your point. They are not going to recycle the contents of a sanitary bin anyway. As another poster said, it is clinical waste as it has blood on it.

drippytap Thu 16-May-13 18:25:44

I deal with PR in a company that sometimes receives this type of complaint. it always gives us a good laugh. We also have a point system that's awarded by level of surprise, shock, horror etc grin

Sunnywithshowers Thu 16-May-13 18:32:13

Why not get a mooncup? It's much better for the environment.

CarpeVinum Thu 16-May-13 18:34:52

No!

Me and My Morally Repugnant Vagina LIKE the plastic applicators.

IneedAyoniNickname Thu 16-May-13 18:37:07

Cardboard applicators?! shock I've never heard of/seen them! They sound snaggy and painful!
Mind you I don't use tampons, they scare me blush

happyscouse Thu 16-May-13 18:40:33

Its a no from me as well. You seem to be outnumbered op.

Mosschops30 Thu 16-May-13 18:43:37

It's a no from me, much better than cardboard applicators

I can't be arsed to get upset about nonsense like this, don't people have other things to worry about?

Sunnywithshowers Thu 16-May-13 18:45:38

PMSL at morally repugnant vagina

CarpeVinum Thu 16-May-13 18:48:34

Sunnywithshowers

grin

I know these threads, any minute now my vagina will once again be accused of personally killing a polar bear.

<flashes bearicidal fluffy bits>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now