aibu to tell the next person who tells me that i must be naturally skinny to sod off?!

(122 Posts)
inneedofsomehelpplz Wed 15-May-13 19:03:20

my baby is under 4 months & i am sick & tired of people telling me ive sprung back into shape so must be naturally skinny!!!! no, far from it..... i havetoast for breakfast, an apple for lunch & a small bowl of pasta with peas for dinner. i also try & excercise where i can. ive worked bloody hard on losing my baby weight & want to scream at people im bloody well hungry & want a nice juicy cheesy pizza!!!!!!

pizza is a perfectly balanced meal.

it's bread, cheese, meat (optional) and vegetables.
all food groups in one.
very good for you.

RhondaJean Thu 16-May-13 20:50:51

Op I think a lot of people, me included, misunderstood your first post.

I come with a note of caution about the protein. I often do high protein diets to build my muscles (I love doing strength weight training) and it tends to bind me up, to put it politely. A lot of the guys I know do martial arts and eat protein only diets to cut weight for fights and they tell horrific stories about trying to go.

In the short term, I would up your carbs rather than protein but eat loads of fibre eg wholemeal bread and pasta, beans and legumes are good as they are protein and fibrous, fruit and veg until you feel you are healed.

But you do need to up your calorie intake somehow.

And no you do not need pizza!

mrsjay Thu 16-May-13 20:47:26

I am glad you have been to the dr you need to eat more than you are eating lovey good luck being hungry and ratty must be exhausting

mrsjay Thu 16-May-13 20:43:57

you sound like you are not eating very much tbh peas and pasta isnt a great dinner is it, have a pizza

Well done you on getting some help.
Fair play to work really hard to get the weight off post-baby, I certainly couldn't do it, but I think you know you've taken it too far.

Another little thing to think about is that in just a couple of months your baby will be moving to solid food, and they will learn by copying, so you want them to see you eating a variety of healthy foods, happily. Maybe if you give yourself that as a kind of deadline in order to have a wider repertoire of food - and quite a bit more of it! - then you have a goal to work towards that isn't jsut about the scales.

Whoever said flapjack for snacks and eggs for breakfast, yes yes and yes! Also porridge for breakfast made with lots of milk is great - you can add bananas and fruit etc for extra fibre too. Chances are you will find yourself making porridge for about 2000 mornings on the trot soon for you LO, so you may as well start having it yourself!

Samu2 Thu 16-May-13 20:27:38

WTF is all the "diddums" and "Do you want a medal?" type of comments?

Why would anyone be mean like that when the OP is obviously struggling? She's just had a baby and her hormones are everywhere and obviously not looking after herself properly.. those type of comments are mean and serve no purpose other than trying to be a bitch.

OP, I am glad you have seen your GP and I hope everything just gets better from here on out. You WILL feel better if you eat better, your mood will improve and if you genuinely can't eat more right now at least please try to eat a bit better.

Look after yourself, OP x

ChairmanWow Thu 16-May-13 19:29:24

OP I'm so glad you're acknowledging that you're ill, wretched though it is. And really pleased that you're going to introduce some healthy foods into your diet - but without wanting to sound like a nagging parent you do need to eat significantly more than you are. Not getting enough calories leaves you exhausted, cold and, yes, depressed. In my experience gradually increasing the amount you eat is best when there's an unhealthy obsession with under eating. That way your stomach can adjust and you won't be left feeling too full and overwhelmed. Maybe try some multivitamins to give you a boost because you may well be deficient in various vits plus iron.

Glad you've got some Lactulose too. I've had two births - natural and via the sunroof - and that stuff helps a lot when you're scared to poo!

You've made a brilliant start today. The only way is up! smile

MoodyDidIt Thu 16-May-13 18:46:05

oh op sad

i was like you after having DC1, i can't remember his early weeks at all. i CAN remember being constantly starving, calorie counting and obsessively weighing myself. i even went as far as buying sibutramine online (a slimming pill which i now think has been banned?)

everyone was jealous and complimenting me on how skinny i was so quickly, but i was actually very depressed and had an eating disorder

pm if you want to chat. but if you don't, please try and eat more and if you can't then go to your gp x

ivanapoo Thu 16-May-13 18:35:30

I sympathise but no wonder it hurts to poo on that diet! Although apples are good.

Try prunes and dried apricots soaked in fruit juice overnight, with probiotic natural yoghurt.

Are you drinking loads and loads of water?

Goldrill Thu 16-May-13 13:17:10

OP - I sympathise. A bit. I've got a six month old who is just weaning, and am stillf Bfing 2.5 year old. I pretty much constantly but am now a stone lighter than when I conceived DD1 - and that was the skinniest I would ever choose to be. I have also had people compliment my skinniness and I do generally set them straight - I am not healthy-slim-toned and gorgeous; I am skinny-gaunt-saggy-with a pot belly and flabby skin. Massive difference.

But, thing is; this is for a short time only, and it's a time where the baby is more important than me/you. So, though I'm not keen on it (and I also have various post-pregnancy issues of a similar nature), I bloody well eat, eat,eat like it's going out of fashion, and I've been to the docs to check there's nothing else wrong, and I make sure I load up on things like oats. And sometimes you do just have to get on with it.

Good luck OP - hope you get your head round it.

fats do make it easier to poo, as well.

pancakes are a good start - egg, milk and flour, and then eat it with banana or other fruits - strawberries are in season now.

I'm glad you went to the GP smile

and that he took you seriously.

This too will pass. smile

EldritchCleavage Thu 16-May-13 12:51:06

OP, do look after yourself won't you?
Make sure you get good protein (lean meat, salmon, mackerel etc) and plenty of variety re veg and fruit. Nuts are also good in small quantities, and a boiled egg plus small slice of unbuttered toast, or a small bowl of porridge with mashed banana are good healthy breakfasts.

I completely sympathise re the bum issue: stool softener is your friend here, so I'm glad the doctor has given you lactulose. Also make sure you drink plenty of water, that really helps too.

For what it's worth I think 4 months on from birth is quite a hard time. There is an assumption you should have recovered from birth, but most of us haven't, and the baby is getting more active and demanding.

spidersandslugs Thu 16-May-13 12:48:40

Sorry op. I see you are ill. But you still need to try eat properly. Hope you get well soon

spidersandslugs Thu 16-May-13 12:45:13

YABU. I AM naturally skinny & bf my large 1yo ds. Albeit I do walk a hell of a lot with buggy and 3.5yo ds on buggy board. I eat LOADS more than you. Eat some bloody food ffs. You need it. Your baby needs it. Your quality of breast milk must be really poor.

Sample menu
Boiled egg & toast & yogurt or 2 weetabix & banana. & a glass of oj

Cheese salad sandwich

Cup of tea/coffee & two biscuits.

Spag bol bulked out with veg & custard & peaches.

PROTEIN. You need to eat protein regardless if bfing or not. It is v important for successful bfing.

Technotropic Thu 16-May-13 12:40:24

LOL @ those saying, "OMG that diet won't give you the nutrients you need, eat the pizza"

Of course, that holy grail of nutrition; a pizza!

OP don't forget the protein and other stuff like fibre in your diet.

Pasta/bread is ok but in moderation and combined with a balance of fats/protein.

Balance your diet properly and you can still eat a fair amount and lose weight. It just has to be done sensibly. That toast/apple thing sound horrific so hope you get yourself sorted soon.

Best wishes smile

oops x-post

shock holy moly!

op you have not long had a baby, and you are breast feeding. you are not eating enough for your body to cope with your daily routine or for feeding your baby. no wonder you sound fecking miserable. what you are doing is NOT healthy at all... for you OR your child!

please get some help

inneedofsomehelpplz Thu 16-May-13 12:17:53

again, thanx for the people that have offered support. before pregnancy i was ahealthy size 10 & when pregnant my craving was if i saw it i ate it & put on 5 stone. i am now an unhealthy size 8 at 5ft8 tall. i have just been to the doctors and have papercut cuts round my bottom but eating pasta & bread is bad so am going to eat salad & fresh veg. he gave me lactulose to help me go. i think it all steemed from stopping eating lots when i knew i had to pass it & now feel ill. im just fed up with people thinking im slim naturally when actually im ill & now getting obsessed even though i know i look awful :-(

to the posters that have been unkind - i so hope you can understand that this is not attention seeking or look at me - im ill & need help not bitchiness.

ChairmanWow Thu 16-May-13 12:00:34

OP I hope your appointment goes well today. It's a big step to go and discuss your eating habits with a health professional and takes a lot of courage. I hope you get whatever help you need to encourage you to eat a healthy, balanced diet. FWIW I too have suffered eating disorders in my youth and found CBT (via GP referral) to be incredibly beneficial.

Please don't take some of the nastier comments on here to heart. Find the support you need to deal with all your issues and hopefully you will be in better spirits soon.

So are you wanting to be congratulated on having an eating disorder and worrying more about your weight than anything else.

Stop being a bloody martyr and eat properly. Who are you in competition with?

This is easily the most stupid op I have read here in a good while!

StealthOfficialCrispTester Thu 16-May-13 11:16:02

Your milk will be fine btw

shelldockley Thu 16-May-13 11:13:34

From your last post about being scared to go to the toilet, the things you are eating are really not helping the situation. Everyone says to up the fibre, but lots of water is even more important as are beans and lentils and good fats, you could also try a probiotic. Hopefully your appointment with the doctor will help you today.

fancyabakeoff Thu 16-May-13 11:09:35

Why is being called 'skinny' regarded as being a compliment?

Onemole Thu 16-May-13 11:07:03

Just to add, the 'baby' weight comes off itself through breastfeeding anyway. Your body uses stored fat to make milk. I am a long term breastfeeder, and after 3 pregnancies and large babies am about 8 and a half stone which at 5 foot 6 is fine for me. Personally I have never dieted or set foot in a gym. Love my pies, curries, pizzas and chocolate too much! DS is 12 months now though. 8 months ago I was probably about 11 stone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now