aibu to tell the next person who tells me that i must be naturally skinny to sod off?!

(122 Posts)
inneedofsomehelpplz Wed 15-May-13 19:03:20

my baby is under 4 months & i am sick & tired of people telling me ive sprung back into shape so must be naturally skinny!!!! no, far from it..... i havetoast for breakfast, an apple for lunch & a small bowl of pasta with peas for dinner. i also try & excercise where i can. ive worked bloody hard on losing my baby weight & want to scream at people im bloody well hungry & want a nice juicy cheesy pizza!!!!!!

pouffepants Wed 15-May-13 19:19:35

Wow, this thread is an eyeopener!

I often go months eating less than that to try to lose weight, but eventually give up, because I never lose any. Oddly, I never gain any when I go back to eating crap either. I just assumed I must have crap will power and actually i need to eat even less to lose. But everyone seems to think that's very little to eat!!

I exercise loads too.

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 15-May-13 19:19:40

Wow. I thought my diet was bad!

You realise you cannot sustain this way of eating for life don't you? As soon as you start eating normally again you will pile all the weight back on and then some. Your body will not be using fat as energy, it will be muscle, as you're not eating enough protein, fat or calories to sustain or build muscle.

Muscle is your natural fat burner, the more of it you waste away, the slower your metabolism will come.

You need protein in your diet, ditch the toast and have a mushroom omlette instead, a chicken or fish salad for lunch and add cheese or chicken to the pasta, or have meat and veg instead.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Wed 15-May-13 19:20:13

Op are uou ok?

You do realise that starving yourself to be thin isn't actually normal or healthy?

Are we supposed to now congratulate you on your moral superiority in being thin?

Samnella Wed 15-May-13 19:21:03

grin grin wordfactory put it much better than me.

Jesus, woman, eat some food! That is seriously unhealthy and quite frankly stupid. Put down the Heat magazine telling you you must "spring back into shape after having a baby" and just eat some pizza!

cory Wed 15-May-13 19:28:04

This preoccupation with losing baby weight above eating a nutritious diet is not healthy. It does sound as if you need help, how about trying to see your GP. Remember your baby won't care if you lose that extra weight now or in 12 months time, s/he just needs a healthy happy mummy with lots of energy.

HoneyDragon Wed 15-May-13 19:48:29

Ok I feel bad for being cross now. I posted on your thread in parenting. But seriously, you are not eating enough.

eccentrica Wed 15-May-13 19:50:31

Do you really find your new baby less interesting than your own calorie intake?

GreyGardens Wed 15-May-13 19:52:02

eat the pizza already, then calm the fuck down?

gordyslovesheep Wed 15-May-13 19:53:05

plenty of women starve themselves to be thin - so what - it's their osteoporosis in later life not mine <shoves curry down her gob>

inneedofsomehelpplz Wed 15-May-13 19:55:52

well thanx for the people that gave me support but im struggling & every little thing is niggling at me. a compliment of youre looking good but why add im so lucky to drop the weight so quickly?! im not lucky - i had third degree tears & it hurts when i poop so take vitamins for my breast milk. im not lucky - im sodding well miserable.....

cory Wed 15-May-13 20:00:20

Very sorry to hear that you are struggling, tears are really horrible.

The problem is that you are expecting people to compliment you on what seems to the rest of us like yet another sign of ill health: eating this kind of diet in your position is not a sign of mental wellbeing.

It is a bit like asking us to congratulate on your third degree tear: we sympathise but we can't think it's a matter of congratulation.

gordyslovesheep Wed 15-May-13 20:00:32

then eat - get help and eat

in my 20's I was size 4 and I starved myself and over exercised - you CAN get better - you need to see your GP though not post what look like goady threads on the interweb

D0oinMeCleanin Wed 15-May-13 20:01:04

Of you're struggling. You are not giving your body adequate nutrition. I get into so much trouble by my nutritionist for skipping meals/not eating enough, he actually has people texting me to remind me I need to find time to sit and eat a proper meal.

I lose far more weight when I heed his advise and actually eat enough than I do when I'm grabbing protein shakes and cup of soups when I get a second. I also feel much happier and more energised when I eat right.

I almost killed myself at a spinning class today and only burnt 360 kcals sad I didn't have breakfast or lunch before hand and my body just did not have the energy to move. I'd have gained more from the exercise if I'd eaten a balanced meal before hand.

usualsuspect Wed 15-May-13 20:02:03

Maybe you should have a chat with your GP.

You sound very down

Fairylea Wed 15-May-13 20:02:04

Have the pizza and stop being so hard on yourself. A baby is enough to stress about, weight can.. well... wait!!

You don't get a prize for being skinny.

mootime Wed 15-May-13 20:03:52

If you are breast feeding you NEED to eat more than that. You are going to make yourself ill. Life is to short to put your weight above your health and your time with your newborn. I would suggest you talk to your GP or health visitor as you sound like you might have a bit of PND.

You sound like you may have had a pretty tough time with the birth (3rd degree tear) and so maybe there are issues there. Whatever, starving yourself will not solve any of this. It will make you more miserable and hungry.

mootime Wed 15-May-13 20:05:31

*too short

SundaysGirl Wed 15-May-13 20:06:56

Its more important right now that you are healthy and as unstressed as you can be, for you and for your little one. Putting this much pressure on yourself to regain your figure is clearly making you very miserable. Do you have a history of eating disorders or body issues?

Honestly this time is so special..don't look back on it with some of the strongest memories being of feeling ill, tired, grumpy and stressed out with lack of food.

Is there more going on here stress wise than the weight issue?

PlasticLentilWeaver Wed 15-May-13 20:08:09

You need to eat more if you are BF. You obviously have great self control, but that won't help your baby. It is NOT normal/average/typical to have lost your baby weight in less than 4 months, if you ever had any to lose, as I suspect you kept control during your pregnancy. Start by being kinder to yourself.

fuzzpig Wed 15-May-13 20:10:29

If you're BFing all the more reason to make sure you eat enough and are well nourished to support your body.

From the diet you describe you are really lacking protein.

Please take care of yourself as well as your baby.

fuzzpig Wed 15-May-13 20:12:01

And it's ok to be miserable, sounds like the birth was really hard and having a new baby is a massive life change! Please do seek support, it sounds like it might be going beyond 'baby blues' x

noblegiraffe Wed 15-May-13 20:13:53

You're bf? You're probably not even taking in enough calories to account for the breastmilk let alone keep yourself going. You're going to end up running yourself into the ground and getting ill, which won't be any good for you or the baby.

Please start taking better care of yourself. Your baby needs you.

Themobstersknife Wed 15-May-13 20:16:25

I pretty much agree with mootime and most other posters. Go talk to your GP / HV / OH / someone else who will listen. You sound a bit down and a bit fixated on unimportant things when your baby is only 4 months. In the meantime, you should eat if you are hungry or you will really struggle to carry on breastfeeding. Every little thing niggled me too but I was able to see the positives as well. It sounds like you are struggling to do so, please seek some support. and eat that pizza

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now