Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be annoyed that the grocery shop was done without me

(50 Posts)
peacefuloptimist Wed 15-May-13 17:03:43

We do a big grocery shop fortnightly. Me and DH normally go together as I dont drive but occasionally he does it without me which he has done today. I have told him I dont like it when he does that. I am a SAHM so am normally the one doing the cooking and housework (though he does help at the weekend) so I am more aware of whats needed. He checks briefly the essentials but mostly he guesses at whats needed and always misses stuff out or buys things we dont need. Like today he has bought a load of snacks (think junk food) for himself but has forgotten my healthy snacks and veg for our ds purees. Also never buys cleaning products like washing up liquid. l have a suspicion that he deliberately doesnt bring me to save money as he spends less when Im not there. AIBU to be pissed off after I told him not to or am IBU to demand he doesnt go without me?

By the way, before anyone asks we used to do our shopping online but found we saved mm

CoffeeChocolateWine Thu 16-May-13 12:27:20

A bit annoying, yes, but it's not a big deal really is it? Is there a small local shop nearby where you can top up on the stuff he hasn't got?

My DH does the same. If he does the shopping he'll get stuff for us but forgets that we have 2 DC to provide for as well and doesn't buy anything that they would eat!

And along the same vein...last night my DH did the cooking and did spicy chicken fajitas. We're enjoying our meal and I comment on how much there is. "How much of the (family pack of) chicken did you use?" I ask. "I did all of it cos I didn't think we'd use it otherwise. I figured we could freeze what we don't eat and you can have it when I'm out next week." "Well actually hon, I was planning to use it to feed our DC!! You know, the short, cute ones who want food ocassionally!"

I know his heart was in the right place but now I have no chicken and have to go to the shops again! It's not the first time this has happened, but I don't get pissed off about it...I find it quite funny in an amused isn't-he-hopeless kind of way!

Ruffello Wed 15-May-13 19:43:37

My DH and I alternate our weekly shops, mainly because I work nights every other week. It's a system that works well for us, but we both have very different ideas of what are the weekly essentials. I tend to stock up on cleaning products and store cupboard/fridge essentials like flour, sugar, butter, onions, garlic, herbs etc on my weeks, whereas on his week we get lots of biscuits and yogurts! Needless to say, his bill is usually considerably less than mine.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 15-May-13 19:34:52

My dh does most of the supermarket shopping and we usually agree on what to get.
If you leave a list out and every time you use something up add it to the list you can't go wrong. Then add all the things you anticipate running out of before the shop after that and add these. Bingo, he'll never get it wrong again

intheshed Wed 15-May-13 19:27:02

2 things:

1.book yourself some refresher lessons
2.get a joint account

How some couples have separate accounts when they have DC is beyond me. You are a FAMILY.

DH does all the food shopping and is ace at it. He cooks it though.
I'm the one going round shoving crap in the trolley and he says not one word in protest, in fact he encourages me.

LaundryLegoLunch Wed 15-May-13 19:12:28

Buy this pad . Seriously, it has transformed my shopping and it means if DH does the shopping he doesn't miss anything. It's an American list so has some oddities on it but you get used to it. Buy it!!

HoneyStepMummy Wed 15-May-13 19:08:49

The problem isn't that you don't drive confused. Despite me driving and having several bank accounts my husband does this to me. We do a plan Aldi shop every two weeks that I plan very carefully. When he goes shopping by himself he'll "forget" to get some of the things I put on the list or "can't find them". He can certainly find the chocolate covered expresso beans...
I don't enjoy grocery shopping and know and appreciate that my husband's trying to help me. It's still really irritating and ends up costing us more money and me more time...

peacefuloptimist Wed 15-May-13 18:05:20

Before we got the car we exclusively used online shopping but when we got the car we preferred to go to a local
supermarket that is super cheap and I dont think does online Shopping. we buy more but spend less. I have been a bit short tempered with my dh since ds was born and I stopped working. I just dont have patience with him doing stuff badly anymore.

dingit Wed 15-May-13 18:03:24

I was like you, and stopped driving. I then had just 3 refresher lessons, then drove halfway to Cornwall ( once we hit the A roads) As the DC have got older, I am so glad I did.

That said, my car is out of action this week, and DH did the shopping. If I had known in time, I would have definitely done it online. As the others said, you can delete items to stay in budget, and all the offers are there! We are having some very strange menus this week!

Nehru Wed 15-May-13 17:57:30

Do online shopping like this
Set a budget. If your baskets over them delete

I reckon he's told you he doesn't like online so you dont get yrhands on your shared money.

DontmindifIdo Wed 15-May-13 17:55:54

We have a list that everything we run out of goes on the list - oil, cleaning products etc.

i'd send him back with a list of the things he's forgotten.

Do you need paid for refresher lessons? I lost my licence shortly after getting it due to medical reasons and didn't get it back for 2 years, when I did, I didn't get refresher lessons, I just sat with my dad in the passanger seat, starting with quiet roads and bit by bit getting brave enough to do the busy roads. Could you not go out with your DH for a few trips to get used to it again and get in the habit when you go shopping together you drive either there or back with him so you have someone there for security until you feel better. But make yourself do it. honestly, it'll make poping to the shops when you need something far easier.

(And look again at shopping on line - I found we saved a fortune because we didn't buy snacks, we properly meal planned with recipe books open in front of us, popped back to the kitchen to check we didn't have XYZ rather than just add it to the basket just in case we didn't have enough etc)

Saski Wed 15-May-13 17:55:01

I started my grocery shopping online last summer and I cannot understand why I didn't do it before. It's like pulling two free hours out of thin air, and you can work on your grocery list all week long as things pop into your head.

I would never leave the grocery shopping to my husband, I am a control freak about anything related to our kitchen or house.

theoriginalandbestrookie Wed 15-May-13 17:47:44

I don't much like DH doing a shop. He will come back with 5 separate portions of fish and a bag of potatoes and go - Look I have bought dinner for the week.

However I'm in the position where we have a joint current account and I drive so I usually nip into Tescos on my way home from work.

I can see why your DH might not want to have to do joint trips to the supermarket, I refuse to go to supermarkets with DH, it's just not a two person job, and I can see why he might be a bit annoyed that you have passed your test, but it still appears to be a two person job.

However I don't like the way you have to ask for money for essentials OP. It doesn't seem right. In your position I'd prefer to do an online shop even if it cost me a little more as at least you would get what you needed.

peacefuloptimist Wed 15-May-13 17:47:35

Sorry I think I might have given the wrong impression. He does get essentials when he does the weekly shop in terms of food essentials like bread, milk, basic fruit and veg, and things that he guesses I would want etc. However he doesn't get specific things that I buy less often (e.g. oil, washing up powder etc) or that only I use (e.g. healthy snacks). As we do our week once a fortnight I sometimes have to wait 2 weeks to get something that I want from that particular store unless I pester him enough to go back. Today he has bought a load of jars of baby food for ds which he has guessed we would need (which is right) but he has picked up stuff that I know ds wont eat because he doesn't like those flavours. Does that make sense? Reading this back I know I am being a bit precious but it just creates more hassle for me for him to do it on his own.

You should practice driving early in the morning or late at night when it's quieter. And stop being such a sap. <manly punch on the arm> otherwise, all those lessons to pass were a waste of time.

Catbiscuit Wed 15-May-13 17:39:56

I'd say, 'thanks for doing the shop to save me time, I should have made a list though as I've realised we are really short on lots of essentials, do you want me to do you a list now or shall we go together and get the rest?'
Then have a running list stuck on the fridge so that whoever does the next shop, gets the right stuff!!

Gah, cross post.

We don't actually know that, nehru. Bit of an assumption. Have you checked the price of insuring someone lately? Or noticed that you have to have driven yourself a certain number of years before you can instruct someone?

I think it's fair enough to suggest the OP might consider learning to drive, but it's a bit harsh to assume it's an automatic failing that she hasn't done so.

She might also have reasons why she can't.

peacefuloptimist Wed 15-May-13 17:37:57

I didn't say I don't know how to drive I said I don't drive. grin Basically I passed my test last year but we didn't get a car until much later and Im too scared I need refresher lessons as Im not confident to drive on the busy roads around my house. blush

Thanks for giving me some perspective by the way everyone. I genuinely wasn't sure if he was being an annoying or I was. Apologies also for the duplicate thread.

With regards to the shopping list I have written lists on occasion for him to take when I cant be asked to go. However he again buys the essentials but misses out specific things I ask for if he cant find them e.g. bleach, seasoning. Also as someone said earlier I cant always remember every tiny thing I need to cook the meals I plan to for the week its much easier to free style whilst Im there and pick up some things as I see them.

Nehru Wed 15-May-13 17:37:18

Op has an h who can teach her

thebody Wed 15-May-13 17:36:20

Read your responses.

Think he's controlling you by not buying these essentials. My dad would do this, give mom her 'housekeeping' money with £20 short as 'a joke' then she had to beg for the rest...

That was 1974!!!

He is making you ask for things and that's demeaning.

Learn to drive and insist on joint finances.

awkwardsis Wed 15-May-13 17:34:52

I see 'learn to drive' thrown around so much on MN. Does anyone appreciate just how much that costs these days? I'd love to learn to drive, as I'm sure the op would. Unfortunately my gardening skills don't stretch to a money tree

Bobyan Wed 15-May-13 17:31:21

Learn to drive and get a joint account.

You sound like a 1950's throwback.

Nehru Wed 15-May-13 17:30:31

Learn to drive fgs. Escape this drudgery

CAF275 Wed 15-May-13 17:29:40

really? I go in for a pint of milk and come out 80 quid lighter

Not just me then? grin

Yes, it's annoying when they do things like this, but really not important in the grand scheme of things. My DH has made a complete arse of grocery shopping on the extremely rare occasions he's done it by himself. And I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than take him with me tbh. Absolutely no point complaining as he he will (quite rightly) take it as criticism and be reluctant to ever do it again.

Lighten up, and consider how you would react if he criticised you before bringing it up with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now