to expect my neighbours not to park across my driveway?

(285 Posts)
coldwater Wed 15-May-13 08:43:05

We have our car parked on our drive, it has a drop curb too. Our neighbours have FOUR cars and a commercial work van, they can only fit two cars on their drive so park the other three vehicles on the road, usually with one parked right across my drive. It annoys the hell out of me, its not like they can't see we have a car and its not like i haven't asked them before not to do it.

We don't have a very good past with these neighbours, them doing DIY until 11pm (drilling etc) and waking my kids up, dog being left out for hours in the snow yelping (which i reported), her teenage children trespassing into my back garden and breaking the trellis i put up to stop them doing it and many more things. I had a row with the mum over the DIY, i asked her to stop and she got stroppy saying she could do what she wanted. I have never mentioned the fact i have caught her kids in my garden though.

Anyway, this morning i woke to one of their cars being parked across my drive, i went mad and said i was going round there, dp said just leave it, i am over-reacting. Am i? I now can't use the car today because the man who owns it has gone to work and surprise surprise has the key with him. So annoyed, selfish idiots they are. So AIBU thinking they should use their brains and not park over someones drive and block them in?

Yes i know i could park on the road, never any space thanks to these that think they own the road and i don't want to because of the teens that hang around outside all night getting up to no good.

DeskPlanner Wed 15-May-13 09:43:33

This is driving me mad on your behalf. Ring 101 get the bugger towed. But please come back and update.

MrsSpagBol Wed 15-May-13 09:44:42

^^

What Deskplanner said. I am completely invested now. Please report back.

YoniOneWayOfLife Wed 15-May-13 09:45:26

What did 101 say?

THERhubarb Wed 15-May-13 09:50:37

I think they are doing it deliberately. They know you don't like them and they are clearly getting enjoyment from antagonising you.

If their vehicle is towed however, the joke will truly be on them and they will certainly not do it again, they may however decide that war is on.

Yes to calling the police but I think you might need to take further action in order to stop this from escalating. Your local council should have a local neighbourhood officer. Call them and ask to speak to them. Mediation services can work wonders in these cases. You get to set your case down and they get a chance to response. Hopefully it will clear the air and your lives should become more peaceful as a result. It really is worth doing because once they realise their car has been towed, they'll know it was you and they may well go all out to make your lives hell.

SparkyTGD Wed 15-May-13 09:51:12

YANBU

Did you ask them to move the van? I know you shouldn't have to, they shouldn't park there anyway but I'd definitely ask first before calling police.

Tiredmumno1 Wed 15-May-13 09:57:26

grin Thanks quint

Those cats were so cute

IvorHughJarse Wed 15-May-13 09:59:01

Trufact: Tis an offence to prevent someone being able to access the highway (i.e., to block your car into your drive).

It is not an offence to prevent someone being able to access their driveway (i.e., to block your drive when you're not on it, so you can't park there upon return).

Madness. Your neighbours sound like cocks.

StealthOfficialCrispTester Wed 15-May-13 09:59:15

Lurking for update hooe you get sorted op

Patchouli Wed 15-May-13 10:04:11

Also lurking: looking forward to hear that the selfish idiot gets towed out of the way.

Flicktheswitch Wed 15-May-13 10:08:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SavoyCabbage Wed 15-May-13 10:09:18

This this used to happen to us, and the police didn't do a thing.

Purple2012 Wed 15-May-13 10:58:29

Def ring 101. If you can't get out is obstruction. If you can't get in it isn't.

TidyDancer Wed 15-May-13 11:01:10

God yes, definitely police. Any chance the car isn't taxed and you can get them that way as well?

SooticaTheWitchesCat Wed 15-May-13 11:02:08

Phone the police. This happened to me once so I called and said I needed to get out. They came within half an hour and towed the car away.

NynaevesSister Wed 15-May-13 11:03:49

Let us know how you get on. Their car can be towed if it is blocking your car on the drive.

If they block the drive when your car isn't on it then they get a parking ticket.

Also if they park right up close to the very edge of the drive they can get a ticket.

You need to call parking enforcement at your council though as they may not check residential streets.

OddBoots Wed 15-May-13 11:05:43

Oh I do hope the police do come and ticket them, blocking you in then going away with the keys is beyond being annoying, it is completely unacceptable.

cq Wed 15-May-13 11:06:58

FWIW, I think I've read somewhere that if there is no car in the drive, it is not an offence to park across it. But if there is a car in there you cannot park and block them in.

What if you had a medical emergency FFS?

GlassofRose Wed 15-May-13 11:09:31

I hate this!

My lovely neighbours next door but one moved beginning of year. The people who have moved in have two cars and a fleet of mini vans. They kept parking mini vans in front of my house and across my drive and leaving cars/vans outside my house or the house opposite for week at a time so I asked if they could park them outside their own home (because there always happens to be a space there hmm ) and now they make sure they leave their car permanently outside my home with enough room for drive so I can't say it can't be used. There's a bloody 5 cars worth of space at the end of the road (which is just past my drive).

You're not unreasonable OP... but these people don't seem to be capable of reasoning.

THERhubarb Wed 15-May-13 11:19:23

Recipe:

Get one large potato.
Insert potato as far up exhaust pipe as it will go, making sure it is nicely and firmly jammed in.
Leave the area and wait.

Result:

One car which will not work. At all. The car may well be taken to pieces before anyone discovers the cause of the mysterious breakdown. By that time a fortune will have been spent at the garage.

Disclaimer:

You did not hear this from me.

Other disclaimer:

Do make sure it's properly wedged in, with a broom handle if you can.

Make sure you follow Rhubs advice, but not when the car is blocking you in.

Or actually forget that. Do it before it is towed, so they wont even be able to drive it out of the car pound!! grin

It will cost them dearly every day it is at the pound! grin

<evil cackle>

Hullygully Wed 15-May-13 11:24:31

utter cunts

CSIJanner Wed 15-May-13 11:24:32

Pet hate which happens to me as well . CQ has it correct though - if the car wasn't in the drive, you wouldn't be ale to complain on 101.

I do like THERhubarb's solution though - in a hypothetical way of course.

Has PCSO turned up yet?

Sugarice Wed 15-May-13 11:25:39

Come back OP, I do like to hear when parking twats have that self entitled smirk wiped off their smug faces. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now