Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to expect my neighbours not to park across my driveway?

(285 Posts)
coldwater Wed 15-May-13 08:43:05

We have our car parked on our drive, it has a drop curb too. Our neighbours have FOUR cars and a commercial work van, they can only fit two cars on their drive so park the other three vehicles on the road, usually with one parked right across my drive. It annoys the hell out of me, its not like they can't see we have a car and its not like i haven't asked them before not to do it.

We don't have a very good past with these neighbours, them doing DIY until 11pm (drilling etc) and waking my kids up, dog being left out for hours in the snow yelping (which i reported), her teenage children trespassing into my back garden and breaking the trellis i put up to stop them doing it and many more things. I had a row with the mum over the DIY, i asked her to stop and she got stroppy saying she could do what she wanted. I have never mentioned the fact i have caught her kids in my garden though.

Anyway, this morning i woke to one of their cars being parked across my drive, i went mad and said i was going round there, dp said just leave it, i am over-reacting. Am i? I now can't use the car today because the man who owns it has gone to work and surprise surprise has the key with him. So annoyed, selfish idiots they are. So AIBU thinking they should use their brains and not park over someones drive and block them in?

Yes i know i could park on the road, never any space thanks to these that think they own the road and i don't want to because of the teens that hang around outside all night getting up to no good.

schoolgovernor Sat 18-May-13 20:25:02

Bloody hell. If Op came back here to give an update I doubt she'd bother now. Why can't people start a new thread when they get this far into a thread hijack? FFS.

missuswife Sat 18-May-13 20:26:37

It's all about context. I'm Jewish and would find it offensive if a gentile used the word 'jew' or 'Jew someone down' to mean miserly or bargaining someone down. If a Jew said it in a self-deprecating way that would be ok. Similarly many black people use the n word but it would not be okay for a white person, or like gays taking ownership of 'fairy' or 'queer." Context and intention determine whether it's offensive.

digerd Sat 18-May-13 20:47:08

Yes, indeed. I came back to see if there was update and thought I was on the wrong Thread confused and big sigh.

SofiaAmes Sat 18-May-13 23:29:06

One of the wonderful things about the internet is its vast capacity. Our sidetrack discussion will not prevent the OP from giving everyone an update. I found the discussion to be interesting and illuminating (I had no idea that moron was considered offensive before this thread)...I'm sorry that others have found it annoying. I will refrain from any further posts as I would prefer not to annoy my neighbors.

coldwater1 Sun 19-May-13 06:16:03

Not really much to update.

Yesterday the neighbour had his car parked just over my driveway, i was able to squeeze out though with a bit of maneuvering. When i came back they had moved the car up and the father came out and apologised and said if the son parks his car in my way again to knock and he'll move it. Would be better to not park it in the way in the first place but its a start i guess! lol

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Sun 19-May-13 09:31:46

That is a good update. Hope it continues. smile

digerd Sun 19-May-13 10:17:42

Oh, that's good news having the dad on your side.

I have a neighbour opposite me and when I mentioned the car parked opposite my driveway, next to him, - was his neighbour's car- he went all bristly and didn't say anything. As I persued the matter with him he suddenly burst out " Anybody who can't reverse out of your driveway, shouldn't be allowed on the road". shock It is a very narrow cul-de-sac. He insisted he could do it easily hmm

inabeautifulplace Sun 19-May-13 10:25:47

Make him do it digerd!

digerd Sun 19-May-13 10:50:19

I wouldn't risk him scraping that other car in his over-confidence and and showing off. smile I was so shocked as he is normally a quiet polite 'wouldn't say boo to a goose' man.
I just put it down to him having a thing about women drivers and reversing and was his problem grin

BonzoDooDah Sun 19-May-13 11:35:04

Yay coldwater that's a great result from the neighbour! A polite exchange. Woo Hoo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now