to be upset about next doors decking?

(37 Posts)

We have a small but lovely garden. All the fences are at a height so that you can't see right over in to next door. Being 5ft 3 I can't see over at all grin
Next door have hardly used their garden in the 5 years we've lived here. This was mostly because it was taken over by a huge and unused trampoline. Now next doors son has spent hours errecting decking at the back of the garden. I've just watched him walking around on it and he can see right over in to our garden. I feel a bit invaded.
Can you do anything about this? He's used a ton of wood and hours of time. It just never occurred to me when they started that it would be so high sad. Perhaps they'll never use it?

Thanks for all the replies.
I'm not really sure how high the fence is tbh - will have to measure it. It must be quite high because you couldn't see peoples heads and now you can see heads and shoulders when they're on the decking. It's not a terraced house, it's detached and whilst you can see in to each other's gardens a bit from upstairs windows the houses are very cleverly positioned to minimise that. I think I will have a word with the people backing on to it and see how they feel. Also will see how often they use it. I know this is a bit drip feedish but they do have form for being rather selfish. They were having some work done on their roof and the scaffolders came round and errected the scaffolding along the side of our house - without permission! I cam home to find it up. I went round to ask what had happened and she was very clear she didn't give two hoots. Had she asked I would of course have been happy for it to go up. It's the assumption that she doesn't need to refer to you that just bothers me a bit. Any climber that we want plant will block our light.

quoteunquote Thu 16-May-13 22:19:25

Decking, is just housing for rats,

So stop being mean, rats need homes too.grin

Where are you op? Once the weather warms up I could pop round and do some naked sunbathing in your garden if you like. Trust me they will never want to risk looking in your garden again! smile

Alternatively, our village hall has woodworm. I could post you a bit of the skirting board and you could slide it under their decking. At the rate the little buggers are going through our hall I reckon the decking will collapse before the summer arrives!

YonisAreForever Thu 16-May-13 22:26:13

wow this is just some decking, imagine all the problems that are going to occur with the new relaxed planning laws.

YonisAreForever Thu 16-May-13 22:26:57

yes totally agree with rats....they must all be cheering your neighbours kindness

StuntGirl Fri 17-May-13 00:03:11

I had no idea decking is a haven for rats shock There go my plans for a nice bit of decking in our back garden!

quoteunquote Fri 17-May-13 00:26:03

It's Ok StuntGirl

If you design it so cats can easily access all areas then cat will deter the rats,

but if you were intending to use it for ground cover (or just above), you would be better off looking for alternatives. (slate chipping, gravel,slabs)

StuntGirl Fri 17-May-13 00:49:33

Thank you quote, I'll look into it. I'm usually chasing cats out of our garden, maybe I'll have to start enticing them in grin

squoosh Fri 17-May-13 03:03:27

I hate decking, I especially find it weird when people cover their whole garden in decking. What's that all about?

Whack some trellis and some fast growing creeper up. I like back gardens to be private, fuck having the neighbours hanging over the fence, no matter how nice they are.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 17-May-13 09:27:20

Solution..... add a 3' trellis top to your fence and then grow things up it like clematis or honeysuckle. Trellis, even with a few plants attached, is see-through so it won't block the light. I had a similar problem as the street is on a slight gradient and we are all either overlooked or looking down slightly at the neighbours.

TheOldestCat Sat 18-May-13 21:41:07

No rats here yet. We have cats though!

McNewPants2013 Sat 18-May-13 21:50:28

It's just a bit of decking. It's not like they just built a huge conservatory

If you look out of your top window you can see most people's garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now