In being stunned at the price of the Playmobil Take Along House?

(81 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 14-May-13 07:41:38

I have 2 DDs and we've never bought any Playmobil for them...just not really been attracted. But yesterday I saw the ad for the Take Along House and thought it looked lovely for DD aged 5...looked at the price a HUNDRED pounds! shock It's not massive or anything so why so expensive!?

Here it is Do you think it's worth the price?

squiddle Tue 14-May-13 11:06:55

Dd wants the Grand Hotel for her birthday - that's £100, but having seen how much they play with the surburban house I think it is worth it.

squiddle Tue 14-May-13 11:07:56

Oh and Amazon is out of stock so the one seller has put the price up - Amazon's own prices fluctuate like this. Discover uk.camelcamelcamel.com/ and you won't get caught out.

Lovely stuff! You just can't beat it! wink

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 11:24:32

I agree, it's bloody brilliant. My DCs (nearly 6 and nearly 4) still play with their vast Happyland collection (also brilliant but for younger DCs) but we are moving onto playmobil now. Their faces when they saw the castle on Xmas day was a picture (we didn't do Xmas lists so they had no idea).

I don't know if I could bear to sell it in the future I always wanted a toy castle when I was younger, you see

I hope SoMuchToBits will never sell me! shock sad

It's £100 because it's discontinued. I paid £39.99 for it three years ago. Well worth every penny of the forty quid

libertarianj Tue 14-May-13 12:59:00

Playmobil is brilliant, it's really improved from the days i used to play with it (so much more detailed).

Certain sets do seem better value than others, especially from the Playmobil web site direct. We have also got some good bargains from Toys r us too, who quite often have sales on.
Also does anyone collect the mini figures? I think for £2 they offer better value than the Lego variety. wink

kelda Tue 14-May-13 13:00:58

The first link is to an old version which is no longer made.

5Foot5 Tue 14-May-13 13:02:21

We got the fairy tale castle and loads of furniture etc. to go with it.

It is brilliant stuff. Almost makes me wish I was German!

We have some of the Figures! I am quite envy of them, because they are take-apartable and I am not (apart from my hair).

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 13:40:51

I didn't know playmobil did minifigures too! Lego ones are £1.99 in our local independent toy store but they do the loyalty card thing so every 6th one is free. Not that we've bought any yet.

I think we will be getting more playmobil for xmas (the DCs I mean, not me and DH, honest...) but DD is getting Spongebob lego for her birthday grin

Savoytruffle Tue 14-May-13 14:00:13

I'm loving the carry away house- has anyone bought it? Theyre a bit vague on what accessories ie furniture you get as part it...

This is what you get in this take-along house (5167).

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 14:26:04

When I'm looking at duplo/Lego/playmobil type sets for my DCs I always look at how many pieces and cost to see what's best value in terms of 'cost per brick' <maths geek> blush

Savoytruffle Tue 14-May-13 14:29:54

Thanks norman, that is a really good buy!
I know playmobil is 'premium priced' but it really is fantastic, so much detail, hopefully many years of interest for children, and a good keeper - my dc is plays with my nearly 40 year old playmobil hospital at my mums house-!

kelda Tue 14-May-13 15:49:56

fuzzpig I don't look at cost per brick, I look at the number of original or unusual bricks in the set. Those are the pieces that will retain their value the best or even increase in value <collector geek>grin

melodyangel Tue 14-May-13 16:39:05

Argos some times have the Figures on sale for £1.50.

The DC's have a few most. The girly ones are in the kitchen to keep me company!
DS2 has the kick arse girl ones.

melodyangel Tue 14-May-13 16:41:20

Norman You should come apart you just need to be a bit more forceful!

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 16:42:19

Ooh Kelda I like your style grin

I'm not sure I want to try! shock I don't want to end up broken confused...

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 16:44:05

I was a bit miffed when I searched playmobil mini figures on amazon, the top results were labeled 'for boys' and 'for girls'... is that actually on the packets? [Supporter of 'let toys be toys' emoticon]

melodyangel Tue 14-May-13 16:51:08

fuzzpig I know what you mean. I like to think of it as telling me the gender of the playperson inside not as a gender specific toy.

LimeLeaffLizard Tue 14-May-13 16:55:07

<blows kiss to Norman> I voted for you and the brew!

Agree Playmobil is great.

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 16:55:44

Good plan. smile although if I was giving them as stocking fillers I would unwrap them anyway (stockings are from Santa so things are unpackaged)

MrsHoarder Tue 14-May-13 16:58:47

fuzzpig: the Playmobile website doesn't have exact "boys" and "girls". Two (out of about ten) categories are pink princess type, but the rest are fairly unisex.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now