In being stunned at the price of the Playmobil Take Along House?

(81 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 14-May-13 07:41:38

I have 2 DDs and we've never bought any Playmobil for them...just not really been attracted. But yesterday I saw the ad for the Take Along House and thought it looked lovely for DD aged 5...looked at the price a HUNDRED pounds! shock It's not massive or anything so why so expensive!?

Here it is Do you think it's worth the price?

pictish Tue 14-May-13 07:43:02

Um...my dd got one of those last year...it was £40!!

pictish Tue 14-May-13 07:43:21

From John Lewis. x

PoppyWearer Tue 14-May-13 07:45:08

I see others on Amazon for £50 and less, or am I missing something?

pictish Tue 14-May-13 07:45:55

It's not all that good. The house keeps coming apart and needing to be fixed. The hinges are useless.

SoMuchToBits Tue 14-May-13 07:47:04

This similar one is only £25.47.

mousetours Tue 14-May-13 07:48:17

There's one on eBay for £27.89 new with £3.49 postage! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLAYMOBIL-Take-Along-Modern-Doll-House-My-Take-Along-5167-/390540052552

LadybirdsAreFab Tue 14-May-13 07:49:54

Like SoMuchToBits I was going to suggest the Playmobil site. They often give free gifts if you order, the gifts get better the more you order.

Playmobil is fabulous, my parents still have ours from 35 years ago. My DD loves hers.

JollyOrangeGiant Tue 14-May-13 07:51:28

I got about £450 of playmobil stuff second hand for £55 at Christmas. There was so much that DS got it for his Christmas, his birthday and there is some left for next Christmas.

eosmum Tue 14-May-13 07:52:57
SoMuchToBits Tue 14-May-13 07:53:16

You can quite often buy Playmobil second hand on eBay too. But I think the seller on Amazon on the OP's link is trying to rip people off. The Take Along House shouldn't cost that much.

AnneEyhtMeyer Tue 14-May-13 07:54:56

House of Fraser seems to have the same one for £27.99 here

They sometimes out the prices right up on amazon when the seller has low stock. It's not really £100. I second (third?) the actual playmobil website, it's often cheaper than elsewhere.

valiumredhead Tue 14-May-13 09:12:06

I still have my Fisher Price house like that from 35 years ago grin

Tk Maxx is good for PM.

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 09:15:31

When amazon has 'new and used from £xxx' it means it's a marketplace seller rather than Amazon itself and sometimes that is because the product is no longer being produced (for example old Lego sets that were limited edition) so they hike up the prices as it is 'rare'. Can't say if that's true of this product though.

Hope you find one!

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 09:17:12

Hadn't actually thought of using the playmobil site (DCs have the castle which was from amazon as we had a gift card) but we are thinking of getting the pirate ship for DS' birthday, thanks for the suggestion!

MiaowTheCat Tue 14-May-13 09:19:53

My husband's adamant he HAS to buy the castle for the girls when they're old enough (yes daddy's a sucker for anything containing dragons) - I've told him no fucking way are we paying that price for it!

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 09:20:09

Also OP, if you don't already, I would heartily recommend having a wish list on amazon for stuff like this - prices can change regularly so if you keep an eye on the wish list you may find it suddenly reduces in price (say because another marketplace seller has added theirs to the listing) and you can snap it up.

It's bizarre how often prices change on amazon. For example there is a rare(ish) DVD I've got my eye on that keeps changing between £19 and £7 confused

melodyangel Tue 14-May-13 09:22:44

Phone Playmobil the Customer Service Department on 01268 490184.

Ask to be put on the damaged box list.

Enjoy!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Tue 14-May-13 09:24:22

Oh thanks everyone! Melody that sounds great! Thank you!

Blueskiesandbuttercups Tue 14-May-13 09:43:54

Erm it's £22 from Argos.

I think you're getting confused with the suburban or Victorian dolls house which are worth every penny imvho.

fuzzpig Tue 14-May-13 09:45:29

Damaged box list? <intrigued>

plainjaney Tue 14-May-13 09:59:44

IMO Playmobil is worth every penny. I worked part time in a toy shop when DD was small before I went back to Uni. I think I spent more than I earned most months in Playmobil but DD built up an enormous collection worth thousands of pounds with the Victorian House, Modern House, Zoo, Airport etc etc. I spoiled her really but she loved it.
She's coming up for 16 now and refuses to part with any of it. It's all boxed in the loft and she tells me that one day it will be passed to her children.
The Victorian Mansion is on display in her bedroom, that is one of her favourite things (mine too actually), original mansions like hers with the extra floors can fetch upwards of £400 around Christmas time and parts of the original mansion like palisade fencing and street lights can also sell for £100+ on eBay.

You can't really go wrong with it, years of play and holds it's resale value.

SoMuchToBits Tue 14-May-13 10:57:30

I quite agree. Ds is 12 and still plays with his all the time. We have a whole world of Playmobil in our house. NormanTheForeman is the Playmoland Prime Minister, and generally keeps everything under control on behalf of King Athelstan! smile

thegreylady Tue 14-May-13 11:05:27

Playmobil is wonderful-worth every penny.I still have bits from when my dc were little nearly 40 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now