To think you shouldn't turn down the page corners of a library book?

(99 Posts)
BeautifulBlondePineapple Mon 13-May-13 20:36:25

Yes I know. Minor problem and all that.

DS age 8 is doing it. I told him to use a bookmark. DH tells me I'm being ridiculous.

Opinions please!

IncrediblePhatTheInnkeepersCat Sat 25-May-13 23:06:38

I write annotations in texts that I'm teaching, but they are second hand books bought solely for that purpose. I have pristine versions as well.

Other than those, I never dog-ear pages or crack the spine.

I still remember crying one Christmas morning when my Mum borrowed my brand new copy of One Hundred and One Dalmatians, opened it to read it by bending the front cover round to the back, thus ruining the spine totally. <sob> She couldn't understand why I was upset. sad

MadamFolly Sat 25-May-13 22:42:28

The only books I write in are my bibles, that is because I study them and have written many academic essays on them. I am also an atheist.

I would never write in my Qu'ran though. confused

MadamFolly Sat 25-May-13 22:40:46

I turn the corners of normal books that are just words.

Never, never in my graphic novels or other books with pictures in. That is because those books are works of art, not just a medium for a story.

I caught my Dad saving his place in one of my Sandman books by leaving it open facedown. I went apeshit. I would be fine with anyone doing this with a normal paperback that is only words.

SueDoku Sat 25-May-13 22:29:27

If you own a book, you can do as you wish <averts eyes> to the poor thing... but a library book should never, never be damaged by folding pages, being written in (I've spent long hours rubbing out all those notes made in set texts.... angry) or otherwise ill-treated. The message that some borrowers don't seem to grasp is this, 'The Book Doesn't Belong To You..!'. If you want to use a bacon rind, or a butter wrapper, or the wrapper from an icecream as a bookmark (and yes, I've found all of these over the years) - DO IT IN YOUR OWN BOOK... !!!

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sat 25-May-13 22:11:23

zoobaby beat me to it smile

If you're worried about your bookmark falling out, use a post-it. Simple

In fact, you could write a nice comment about the book and leave it in if it's a library book.

Never, never, never turn down a page. But better to do that than do as a friend used to do (before I reformed him...) - he would tear out a thumbnail sized piece from the corner instead. shock

snugglesnook Sat 25-May-13 21:46:30

YANBU

aldiwhore Tue 14-May-13 12:25:30

I wouldn't do it on a book that wasn't mine. Or rather I would try NOT to do it... then forget myself and feel guilty.

As a general rule, if it's not yours, don't alter it!

My own books have turned page corners, they sit like fans on the shelf after being dropped in the bathwater/slept on, they are grubby. My favourite books are the ones in the worse state, and as they're mine I make no apology. Sometimes when I'm not sure what to read I seek out the shabbiest because I know it will be good.

I DID appreciate the pencil (not pen) notes in the margain of unversity reference books though, so please, Librarians, don't rub those out!! (U I know) x

currentbuns Tue 14-May-13 12:19:19

In no particular order, I've dropped a library book in the bath, abandoned one out on the lawn, leaving it to get damp and left a coffee ring on a cover. I do not fold page corners down, though. Always use a bookmark.

hapless are you me? grin

i have a 2 bookcases overfilled with books... the ones i have read are on the top and the ones on the shelves i am slowly working my way through them. the only person that is allowed to borrow any is my mum... and i get incredibly twitchy if dh even looks at them... let alone touch them shock

i cant wait to get another bookcase so i can start putting the read ones in alphabetical order. oh how i dream of having a proper room for them all.

mrsterryprachett if i was single i would so be interested grin

EssexGurl Tue 14-May-13 11:31:44

Sorry - you shouldn't do it on ANY book, library book or not.

Hapless I must be, lovely to finally meet you, I will be asking my mother why she didn't tell me. grin

My books are arranged alphabetically, and NO ONE borrows them, friends refuse when they are offered a loan because they are afraid of damaging them.

I had a really really exciting find the other day when rummaging in my handbag, £12 of waterstones vouchers, I am saving them for when the stress of home is too much then I can treat myself to a day out book shopping.

We have a 1st addition Sir Gawain and the Green Knight and I can't bear to open it, someone has graffitied notes all over the margins, I'm coming over all cold just thinking about it.

McNewPants2013 Tue 14-May-13 10:43:00

Only in my own books, never in a library book

HaplessHousewife Tue 14-May-13 10:13:32

Ah, Binky are you my long lost twin? Everyone thinks I'm a bit strange because I don't break spines either.

My books are all in boxes at the moment but in our old house I had two bookcases, one with books I'd read and one with books I hadn't (I have an issue buying more books than I can get through) and you couldn't tell which bookcase was which blush.

Doesn't admit books were also arranged alphabetically and I've only ever lent one book (to DH) and that made me twitchy so hasn't been repeated.

My book issues aside, do what you want with your own books but if you've borrowed a book from someone else whether it's a library or a person, look after it!

<updates spreadsheet>

FrenchJunebug Tue 14-May-13 10:01:47

of course YABU. I do that all the times with library books and my books.

zoobaby Tue 14-May-13 09:56:04

shock Listen here all you book abusers...

Use a post-it note as your bookmark.

Place it down low so the top of the post-it is in line with the top of the page and you just see the colour of the post-it along the top edge of the book.

They last ages. The sticky strip stays clean. The book stays non-defaced. Everyone's a winner!

diddl Tue 14-May-13 09:35:53

MrsTP-how old is your brother?grin

A whole room full of books-fantastic-or doesn't he allow anyone to read them??

Eilidhbelle Tue 14-May-13 09:28:19

Viva, please don't do that. I'm a librarian and our budgets are based on issues - how many times a book is checked out. So your library won't get anything from that, their budgets will keep being cut and no one will be able to do anything about it.

LilacBreastedRoller Tue 14-May-13 09:19:03

shock

amazingmumof6 Tue 14-May-13 08:56:44

*with a bit of peace...

amazingmumof6 Tue 14-May-13 08:56:22

hissy so do you think I should be punished for writing in my own books? I hope the punishment would be hours and hours of community service in a library - I could do with a peace & quiet! grin

lottiegarbanzo Tue 14-May-13 07:52:59

Urghh. How can your DH not see it is vandalism?

This thread just strengthens my resolve not to lend anyone a book ever. It's a serious test of friendship and sadly often fails (usually because they don't come back but sometimes because they've been casually mangled).

Hate seeing books face down too.

Hissy Tue 14-May-13 07:32:13

I am shuddering, just shuddering.

Turning corners is bad enough in ANY book, even our own, but writing in them?

<faints>

livinginwonderland Tue 14-May-13 07:27:07

i never turn down corners in books. i use bookmarks or old reciepts instead. i did used to write in textbooks, though, but not library ones. it made essays ten times easier and quicker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now