Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think Disney's 'makeover' of Meridia from Brave is sexualised, insulting crapshit&

(70 Posts)

Have a read about it [http://m.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/may/13/brave-director-criticises-sexualised-merida-redesign?CMP=twt_gu here]]

Apols if this has already been pointed out today! I'm just in from work & saw it. [anger]

StuntGirl Wed 15-May-13 21:49:02

Kate Middleton is one of the pretty make up wearing princesses. Merida is not. They're both valid choices! But Merida should not have to conform to Kate's standards and vice versa.

StuntGirl Wed 15-May-13 21:47:38

Well Disney have backtracked already so enough people gave a toss to make them change their stance already grin

rainbowslollipops Wed 15-May-13 21:45:57

I'm trying to get angry over this but I just can't.

Lazyjaney Wed 15-May-13 21:44:28

I think Disney should have read Mumsnet, this issue has been met with a resounding Meh here, if it was an issue it would have had hundreds of posts by now.

Clearly most people really couldn't give a toss.

LynetteScavo Wed 15-May-13 21:44:16

By changing their appearance Disney are saying "princess = pretty, thin and pale with a face full of make up".

A bit like this, maybe

rainbowslollipops Wed 15-May-13 21:44:04

I get that but surely isn't it also up to the parents to get the child to understand that everything can be beautiful?

StuntGirl Wed 15-May-13 21:42:04

The need is because they are a huge multinational corporation who play a large part in many children's childhoods. Even without ever seeing a Disney film, you only need to walk down your local high street or in your local supermarket to see tons of licensed products portraying and reinforcing the same messages as the films.

Not that it's any different when we reach adulthood <sigh>

LynetteScavo Wed 15-May-13 21:39:38

I am missing something here. Are you all talking about the two pics at the top of the first link?

Is the the doll?

I haven't seen the film. Maybe that's why I'm having trouble getting worked up about this.

confused

rainbowslollipops Wed 15-May-13 21:38:28

I just don't understand the need for the big hoo haa. Maybe I'm too laid back.

StuntGirl Wed 15-May-13 21:36:56

Well, as you have pointed out Disney have a multitude of sins (reshaping Tia's nose for fuck's sake). I am equally against all of them, it just so happens that this particular one is the most recent.

rainbowslollipops Wed 15-May-13 21:30:04

So then its up to you to let your child know that skinny isn't "princess". Is it not? Could say the same about their prince charmings. That their first love will be their only love.

I am loveing the Dorktower cartoon grin - go, Merida, go!!

The difference between Merida Mk1 and Jessica Rabbit or Jasmine is that, certainly for JR, it is integral for their character that they are sex pots. Sexist, an'all, but JB uses her amaaayzing sex appeal as a way to reach her goals. Jasmine I am more dubious about tbh... so fair point.

Having said that, I have 4 boys, went to see Brave in the cinema with the older 2 and they loved Merida. Any other Disney princess just makes them do retching noises... grinblush

StuntGirl Wed 15-May-13 21:25:24

1. The collective power of the internet did not exist in 1988 or 1992, so any outcry wouldn't have been as widespread or had the same impact.

2. This is why it's important to kick up a stink over issues like this. Not everyone forms part of the heteronormative narrative, and it's important that a company as large and influential as Disney realises that and acts responsibly.

By changing their appearance Disney are saying "princess = pretty, thin and pale with a face full of make up". Now there's nothing wrong with being a thin, pretty girl who wears a lot of make up. But there's nothing wrong with being a plain looking girl more interested in other pursuits either.

I've signed.

I think it is important because from an early age little girls are bombarded with this stereotype of 'perfect' and it is bollocks. I am proud that my DD thinks that princesses rescue people and I hope to keep her away from this unrealistic portrayal for as long as I can.

The original was lovely, a childrens character doesn't need to have makeup and her bow removed.

rainbowslollipops Wed 15-May-13 20:32:22

Haha I just realised. You kick up a stink over this......anyone remember Jessica rabbit? Jasmine from Aladdin....all she wore was a bra and trousers. Don't remember petitions being done then. Who framed Roger rabbit. Yes it's not Disney but it is a family film as is Disney films. Get a grip

rainbowslollipops Wed 15-May-13 18:05:15

Doesn't fuss me. Dd hasn't seen the film so I highly doubt she'd be fussed either. I thunk there's bigger things to worry about.

Lazyjaney Wed 15-May-13 17:53:54

Disney has reconstituted Merida Mk 1 now, with 200,000 signatories to the petition. I was reading an article noting all the Disney heroines have been princessified, including Mulan who is a soldier, but there has been no similar outcry.

Lazyjaney Wed 15-May-13 17:06:02

Can't help thinking that if all the petition signatories had bought an original Merida, Disney would have kept her going. The silent majority clearly prefers Princesses.

msrisotto Wed 15-May-13 09:38:00

Very good blog post

StuntGirl Wed 15-May-13 09:22:19

Oh I love that link, brilliant work. I especially love the 'remodeled' Batman!

Loved the old one, hate the new one... I've signed

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Wed 15-May-13 09:06:45

grin

GoblinGranny Wed 15-May-13 08:57:23

Ha! Crosspost DonDraper. grin

GoblinGranny Wed 15-May-13 08:56:44

Does this help you see the differences, LadyBeagleEyes?
thedaysarelongandshort.com/post/50220183714/the-brave-and-the-bold

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Wed 15-May-13 08:54:24

To all those who say they can't really see any difference ... try this, from a male cartoonist. He explains it very, very well...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now