the woman that killed herself over the bedroom tax

(165 Posts)
marjproops Sun 12-May-13 19:58:02

terrible story.

one of the politicians saying on the news she must have had other probs to have done this?

another government excuse to fob off what theyve done?

womans son said she was fine before BT came into fruition. he said its the people in big offices and big houses that have done this, and she said in her suicide note its their fault.

Im really struggling too with this BT , Im sure lots of people are, someone on the news said its not fair especially on the disabled who've had adaptations made, (we're in that category).

so....another fob off by the government, or do you think theyll stop this anytime soon?

LouiseSmith Sun 12-May-13 22:28:31

I think personally, there must be other factors. I am sorry but the lasy in question could have moved, with all due respect we had months notice of these changes, she had more than enough time to move. The government or local council would have helped her down size. I read somewhere it was over an extra 20pound a week rent. I mean honestly,

If she really didn't want to leave her family home that badly her family could of helped her out, or you know a job. I honestly thing the government are not wholly to blame, people don't just step infront of moving traffic without some fore of for warning.

On a side note, I feel for her family, and for the poor driver who was dragged into this event unwillingly, and will have to live with the guilt for the rest of his/her life.

Cloverer Sun 12-May-13 22:42:00

Most people can't move though Louise.

mummy2my2princesses Sun 12-May-13 22:48:10

hi my aunties the same they say if it has a window then its a bedroom but if no window then you can argue the fact that its only a cupboard.hope you get it sorted.

Mimishimi Sun 12-May-13 22:48:50

We don't live in the UK. Does the bedroom tax apply to all properties or just those in the council housing system? It seems to make sense to tax people for bedrooms they are not using if they are availing of public housing. Those houses could shelter larger families. Can they not take in other singles waiting for council housing?

edam Sun 12-May-13 22:49:02

Twenty pounds a week may as well be a thousand pounds a week if you haven't got it. 20 X 52= £1,040 a year. That's a significant amount of money. It was clearly impossible for her to find it, otherwise she wouldn't have killed herself.

likeitorlumpit Sun 12-May-13 23:05:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WafflyVersatile Sun 12-May-13 23:07:00

What would make sense would be building more council housing. There is not enough, no matter how much you shuffle people around like cattle.

quesadilla Sun 12-May-13 23:15:45

What cloudsandtrees said. I agree with the general sentiment that this government seems to leave no stone unturned in its quest to humiliate and brutalise the poor and vulnerable but this is melodramatic. No one kills themself purely over a change to their benefit allowance. It may have been the final straw but much as I dislike this government it's a bit much to lay this at their door.

JessicaBeatriceFletcher Sun 12-May-13 23:21:40

Please read the full story (or at least what Holly) wrote a few posts earlier. This is a very sad story but you can't lay it at the Govt's door (and I'm no lover of this Govt)

C999875 Sun 12-May-13 23:30:01

My goodness me likeitorlumpit. I am not here to make enemies but I do honestly think your comment on this subject is way out of line. Yes we all have problems and some of us can just get on with it but we all have different coping mecanisms.
Changing the subject here but all those poor children who have took their own lives over bullying do they have themselves to blame? absolutly not. Please think about the people that you are hurting when writing such narrow minded comments. Like I said there is only so much pressure that can put on a person. I really think upsetting views on such a delicate subject are best left to ones self. I cannot believe that a parent can be so insensitive.
Suicide isn't selfish it can seem like the only way out for some people. No body ever wants to ill themselves they just want the pain and hurt to go away. Why not try opening your heart and being a bit more sympathetic. I promise it will not hurt. x

WafflyVersatile Sun 12-May-13 23:32:34

This story?

''She was visited by officials, who told her she would be charged for any repairs to her property.

That would whittle away the £2,000 she had been offered by the council to move home. It meant Stephanie had to strip wallpaper and lift carpets herself. She also had to mend her back fence.

And they failed to find a suitable property for her – the bungalow they offered was a 30-minute walk from a bus stop and miles from her family and friends.

So Stephanie was trapped in a house she couldn’t afford.''

alreadytaken Sun 12-May-13 23:35:37

I read what Holly wrote "If the whole story were read rather than headlines you'd see she had a debilitating illness plus the council had offered to rehouse her but she didn't like the location, and given her £2K to move properties, but she spent it.

much more at play than the headlines suggest."

She had a debilitating illness that she was coping with until the benefit changes. The council had offered her one property miles from her family and friends. She had to spend the money given her to relocate on repairs to the property she was in. Indeed more than the headlines suggest - but she was coping with her illness until faced with moving away from everything that made life bearable. I have read of other people killing themselves because of the benefit changes, there will be more. If you don't kill yourself you can starve, as far as the government are concerned.

MichelleRooJnr Sun 12-May-13 23:36:41

likeitorlumpit that's one of the most ignorant, ill-informed and uncompassionate posts I have ever read on this site.
You come across as - to be blunt - a rather stupid, at the very least thoughtless, person.

squeakytoy Sun 12-May-13 23:38:02

"It meant Stephanie had to strip wallpaper and lift carpets herself. She also had to mend her back fence."

Where were the son and daughter? Why did they not help with this?

There is a lot more to this story than the sensationalist headlines.

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 12-May-13 23:39:26

I'm sure our esteemed leaders will consider it one less parasite feeding off the taxpayer.

Just getting that in before some right wing twat does.

Personally I'm saddened deeply and wish it hadn't come to this. Over 11,000 people have died since ATOS began 'fit for work' assessments.

Welfare Reform is killing people.

WafflyVersatile Sun 12-May-13 23:41:59

This isn't welfare reform. This is welfare removal.

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 12-May-13 23:45:10

Oh, and our BT 'contribution' was 'only' £31.25 a week.
From £58 careers allowance and £60 income support. That's significant. The rest of the money, as we're endlessly reminded, is for the kids. Misappropriation of that would be severely dealt with - yes we do get threatening letters to that effect.

That was until we were saved by the severely disabled child legislation. Many with adult disabled family members aren't so fortunate.

Royalmailer Sun 12-May-13 23:50:11

The government wants to punish the poor.

The bedroom tax doesn't save enough money for it to be a financially driven decision. It's a matter of principle for them.

Therefore, a better way of pursuing this aim would be to incentivise swaps and downgrading. Same result, much less suffering.

But that's not what they did, is it. They want to make the poor suffer.

Wuldric Sun 12-May-13 23:51:27

There is another thread on this

Of course there are other issues involved. The lady was offered alternative accommodation and a grant to move.

I hate the way this has become politicised. It is a family matter, not a political issue

<disclaimer> I have never voted tory and I disapprove of this government's housing policy

Darkesteyes Sun 12-May-13 23:52:23

Why are people saying its the paper politicising it when it CLEARLY STATED IN HER NOTE the reason why she killed herself. Are we really going to choose to disbelieve suicide notes to fit the "bash the poor" agenda now.
If it was a suicide note written by a woman who was suffering domestic abuse would you disbelieve it and blame her or blame the person abusing her. Would you say the paper reporting that was "using it to politicise womens issues" !!!
Believe me with the cuts to womens services i really hope we dont see things like this but unfortunately i think we will. And if "(God forbid) we do i bet people on the thread that may start on here afterwards WONT be gaslighting or trying to rewrite history. Because that only seems to happen on threads like this where benefits are involved!

Monty27 Sun 12-May-13 23:55:30

Likeitorlumpit you sound very discompassionate. Your turn will come one day, it always does to those who cannot conceivably be in the real world.

Btw, you'll probably want to namechange by then.

Wuldric Sun 12-May-13 23:57:57

Oh goodness, not again!

Firstly, to equate this governments ham-fisted attempts to reduce the budget deficit with domestic violence is grotesque and unfair.

She may well have said that the government was to blame, but she was clearly of unsound mind (as the Coroner will undoubtedly find).

When people are severely depressed they take things out of proportion. That's what happens. Highly regrettable.

squeakytoy Sun 12-May-13 23:59:57

when my FIL committed suicide he had blamed it on his cars...

suicide is not rational..

Darkesteyes Mon 13-May-13 00:10:37

I AM NOT equating it with DV I am simply saying that if benefits WERNT involved in this case quite a lot of people on this thread would be humming a different tune.

I am not being grotesque OR unfair. Im simply pointing out the gaslighting going on on these threads with regards to the suicide note and saying that this gaslighting wouldnt be happening if this case didnt involve benefits.
I just used DV as an analogy because CUTS ARE HAPPENING TO THOSE SERVICES TOO. And (God forbid) it wont lead to suicides there but i think it may well do sad

Darkesteyes Mon 13-May-13 00:14:54

Just posting this here to save Wuldric the bother as its what she said to me on the news board on the thread about the same subject and as shes waiting for a call....

WuldricMon 13-May-13 00:07:18

You are tired and irrational. Who has said anything about claiming benefits on this thread apart from you? What, you perceive a lack of empathy (not actually true, just a lack of willingness to blame the government) and you leap to the conclusion that this lack of empathy has arisen because the lady in question was on benefits? Nonsense.

Get to bed. It's late. I would myself but I am waiting for a call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now