to not want him parenting my newborn with me?

(79 Posts)
WestieMamma Sun 12-May-13 18:02:24

Because he's such a know-it-all and I feel under so much scrutiny and pressure. The slightest peep out of the baby and he's there, giving me dirty looks for not responding quicker. He watches everything I do with a critical look on his face. He's even taken to supervising the baby when he sleeps and getting shirty with anyone close enough to disturb the sleeping baby.

I understand that he wants to be involved especially as he'll never be a parent himself (vet removed his bits after he tried to hump the postman), but AIBU to think he's taking it too far?

WafflyVersatile Sun 12-May-13 19:03:01

You must tell him in no uncertain terms that this is your baby and he needs to leave you two alone sometimes so you can bond.

If that doesn't work maybe distract him with a biscuit or by throwing a ball right to the bottom of the garden.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 12-May-13 19:06:48

So sweet, OP.

When my younger brother was 3, he somehow slipped out of the house and went "walkabout." My parents realized that our Great Dane was also missing. The police found both of them about a half mile from our house in the middle of a field sitting contentedly in the grass enjoying the lovely day. As the police approached, the dog (who was the very definition of "gentle giant" with the family) got between them and my brother and turned into Cujo. They could not get anywhere near my brother until my dad got there.

SgtTJCalhoun Sun 12-May-13 19:10:40

Our minature schnauzer barks at anyone who goes near the dc. No biting or snapping, ever, just barking and standing between them. We have a babysitter who he barks at whenever she stands up, then follows her to assist with child care duties grin. He doesn't help me. Obviously trusts me.

Piemother Sun 12-May-13 19:10:45

I want a doooooooog!

That is all grin

DameFanny Sun 12-May-13 19:17:55

Thinking about it, have you tried bending down to his level and saying "my bubz, my rulez hun"?

If he goes for your throat he's established himself as an MNer, and can safely be left in charge.

tuttavia Sun 12-May-13 19:22:38

One of our cats used to be VERY protective of DS when he was a baby - she was forever purring and cuddling him when he was crying, and staring at me like I was a rubbish mum.

Now he's two, she can't wait to get out of his way.

StuntGirl Sun 12-May-13 19:34:55

dame fanny grin

ChoudeBruxelles Sun 12-May-13 19:38:56

Ah - I feel sorry for one of our springers that we don't have a baby to protect. Whenever a friend comes round with her just walking toddler he follows her round and sits on with her.

He's very protect of ds (7) too.

My mums staffie was like this. She would sit near the Moses basket while my son or my brother or sister was in it and if they cried she would bark gently or come get you.

Shes still the same now. If the kids try go near the front gate she barks or stands in front so they cant get out.

My sister used to curl up in the dogs bed with her and they would have an afternoon nap together. Try are very close now.

RubyGates Sun 12-May-13 19:44:45

Is it a rabbit?

Our rabbit is exactly the same. (but it was the electricity meter reader)

He still tries to lick DS2's hair clean if he stays still for long enough. I will never forget being disapproved for my lack of parentling skills by him. There is nothing on the planet that can disapprove quite so thoroughly as a rabbit.
www.birdchick.com/adventures/rabbit/

thegreylady Sun 12-May-13 19:58:09

One day dh and I were walking our two dogs [a labrador and a Cairn] across a field near where we used to live.We were chatting to a neighbour who had a push chair with a baby and a toddler.The dogs were ambling along off the lead and the toddler was a little way behind us. Unseen by us at first a large black dog [maybe a Dobermann] jumped over a fence bordering the field and raced towards the toddler.It was barking and growling simultaneously and looked very very scary. Before we could react our two soft canines went for the other dog and chased it off.
It was the only time in their long lives [18 and 15] that either of them showed any aggression.I dont think the toddler was aware of the danger as he said,"Doggies run fast!" but his Mum was sobbing and do grateful that she sent her husband round later wit some dog treats.
My dh found the owner of the other dog and told him what happened.We moved away shortly after but if that Mum is on here she will remember smile

hiddenhome Sun 12-May-13 21:27:45

Our eldest cat used to catch mice for us to feed to ds2. After he was born, she'd bring them (live) up to the bedroom and we'd have to get up and catch them (middle of the night) and chuck them back outside.

She also used to go under his cot and only come downstairs once he was asleep.

Plomino Sun 12-May-13 21:50:06

Our two greyhounds are possibly the most slothful creatures on the planet , barely managing to roll off the sofa for their daily sprint, bimble and fart , before claiming exhaustion and having to come back to steal out of the bin for extra energy .

But if one of the two younger kids goes for a walk up to our top field , they suddenly feel the need to stretch their legs and follow them at a casual distance . Albeit that you can see them looking at each other , obviously having a conversation along the lines of 'well it's your turn , I went last time ! '

And neither of them really settle properly for the night until everyone's home .

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 12-May-13 22:19:27

I think I love this thread!

When DD was born I lived with my parents. They had a 4 yo standard poodle.

He was a big, muscly dog, the best guard dog ever. In his eyes there was a pecking order:

My dad
Him
My mum
My brother (who was in the army so barely home)
the cat
Ants
Pond scum
Me

I was allowed to cuddle him, Jr.came to me when he was upset but otherwise, he could take or leave me.

So, bringing a tiny baby into the house was beyond worrying for me. He was a spoilt brat basically and o worried about him getting jealous.

Brought DD home,.lay her in the Moses basket in the living room and with dad inbetween dog and baby allowed him to have a peek and a sniff. curiousity satisfied he lay in front of the basket and pretty much stayed there the rest of the day. When visitors came we had to put him in another room. He claimed DD as his own and adored her.

Once DD was toddling their favourite game was for DD to chase Stan out into the kitchen, squeals of delight and then DD would toddle in with Stan "chasing" her. He would then nudge her (i like to think he was saying "tig you're it") and she would then turn and chase him!

My fave pic ever is of a bare bottomed DD stood on a foot stool looking out of the window with Stan stood on his hind legs, paws on the windowsill. he's gazing out and DD is looking up at him in deep conversation grin

He was pts 18 months ago, a very old but much loved man. Miss him to this day.

My current dog lies at my feet when I've got DS (6 weeks), lies the length of his changing mat when I'm doing his nappy and has to check DS is ok every time we come home. She's a sweetie smile

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Sun 12-May-13 22:19:53

blush sorry for the epic post!

livealoha Sun 12-May-13 22:24:59

My dog cries when my babies cry and sings when they sing! Sensitive little guy grin

Cherriesarelovely Sun 12-May-13 22:29:15

Hilarious! Well done OP!

moreyear Sun 12-May-13 22:39:31

My boy Westie was just the same and my girl Westie used to get up everynight for the night feeds with me and sleep under the craddle. They give so much love. Now the baby is a rambunctious toddler they are less keen grin. But they still opened their hearts to our new baby and have resumed giving me those concerned looks if if I don't pick her up fast enough if she is crying.

Kasterborous Sun 12-May-13 22:40:20

Our twelve year old Labrador wasn't best impressed when we first brought DD home, she went and hid as far away as possible the first time DD screamed. But she still keeps an eye on DD and is very gentle with her. DD loves the dog and often gently pats her. The dog loves it now that DD is one and gives her lots of her food! She loves going for a walk with the pram and is most put out if we go without her. She always wags her tail and sniffs DD when she comes downstairs in the mornings.

NatashaBee Sun 12-May-13 22:45:19

These stories are so lovely. <cries> I would love my DS to grow up with a dog.

SkaterGrrrrl Sun 12-May-13 23:05:01

:-D

SgtTJCalhoun Sun 12-May-13 23:18:37

Our boy is absolutely beside himself when dd comes out of school fussing her and wagging his tail but with ds who has ASD and doesn't really interact with him, he is always trying to elicit a play response. He jumps around and goes down on his front paws and barks. I have to teach ds how to interact with him because it doesn't come naturally and most times he ignores him but the dog never stops trying. He gets right up in ds's face as well and stares at him, wagging his tail like he's looking for something or trying to tell him something.

They broke the mould after that dog I tell you.

Skinnywhippet Sun 12-May-13 23:19:11

I need a scruffy lurcher and a baby!

Skinnywhippet Sun 12-May-13 23:20:38

Actually long haired fox terriers are my faves.

HoneyDragon Sun 12-May-13 23:20:38

Spiderlight. We have the exact same photos but with a knackered Labrador.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now