Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask if you know of any 'urban myths' that are actually true?

(291 Posts)
manicinsomniac Brazil Sun 12-May-13 17:27:53

a colleague told me the other day that her husband had been to school with a brother and sister called Everard and Ophelia Dick. I was very dismissive, told her I'd heard that story several times before, that it was an urban myth and possibly on snopes.com.

Luckily I stopped short of saying that the story probably had racist undertones.

But I've just googled them and they're well documented in the same town that her husband is from. So the chances are he's right. I'm very blush and will have to tell her so in the morning.

I get so used to these name tales being false and offensive that I didn't think there was any way it was going to be true.

Does anybody know if any of the others are true?

cumfy Fri 24-May-13 01:37:28
Bananaketchup Mon 20-May-13 22:14:27

I've got another one but I don't know if it counts because this person actually changed his name by deedpoll. His (real) last name is Sherunkle, so he changed his name to Bob. Bob Sherunkle. True story.

Also when I was in labour with ds 9 years ago one of the student mw's had a double barrelled surname. I cannot recall the second part of it but the first part of her name is Crotch! grin

livinginwonderland Sun 19-May-13 17:04:32

I went to school with a kid whose dad was Richard (Dick) Head.

attilascupcakes Sun 19-May-13 14:24:05

I once sold tickets to an Allie Gator. I didn't believe her and checked the name on her credit card. She wasn't lying blush

LarvalFormOfOddSock Sun 19-May-13 14:20:13

It's true. A very nice man by all accounts!

Euphemia France Sun 19-May-13 14:15:35

Mr Gash! shock grin

LarvalFormOfOddSock Sun 19-May-13 14:14:23

Oh yes. In Twickenham, there's also a funeral directors called Wake and Paine. Used to make us laugh.

LarvalFormOfOddSock Sun 19-May-13 14:13:34

I know a gynaecologist called Mr Gash, a haematologist called Bloodworth and an oceanographer called Dr Flood. I've also known a Richard Head- it seems they're quite commonplace. Oh, and I used to know a girl called Rosie Butt. Once had a client called Mr Onion who insisted it was pronounced O'Nion!

phantomnamechanger Sun 19-May-13 14:01:56

vicar near to here has surname Holy

firm of funeral directors "gore brothers" always makes me smile!

Ehhn Sat 18-May-13 23:20:41

At st Mary's surgery in Berkshire, there is a doctor called Dr Stiff.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 18-May-13 11:33:59

I used to work with a chris peacock. Also a mary christmas

My mum will be Theresa Wood when she gets married.
There is a reporter on our local paper called Wayne Ankers. Proof.
My SIL told me about her friend getting married in Alton Towers (I'm not judging) and the Beckhams paying her to change the dates so they could hire it out for a private party. She didn't like it when I sent her 6-7 links where this "happened" to other lucky brides. She doesn't like me anymore. grin

ComposHat Belgium Sat 18-May-13 10:28:16

I met a John Spunky-Cock once.

True Story.

lucjam Italy Fri 17-May-13 21:56:45

Terry Wogan, that just had me and DH laughing our heads off. Why chose Terry Wogan, too funny!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Fri 17-May-13 21:50:49

i saw on here recently somethibg I just didnt believe but is true... on ebay people advertise "chester drawers"

lucjam Italy Fri 17-May-13 21:44:40

OMG LaQueen my Mum was Rupert Bear's secretary! She worked in Nottingham and Birmingham supporting my Dad through uni. She often told me about Rupert Bear.

Bananaketchup Fri 17-May-13 21:00:13

Oh I forgot about Bishop Bishop - as in, his last name was Bishop, and being a bishop was his job. Self fulfilling prophecy?

peeriebear Fri 17-May-13 18:05:34

There's a Cinderella Smith in my town. Regular court visitor and alcoholic, I wonder if having a stupid name contributed to her shitty adult life hmm

ilooklikegrotbagstoday Fri 17-May-13 17:57:50

My brother had a friend in Florida named Bud Weiser.

Eskino Fri 17-May-13 17:14:48

Justice Judge? Bonkers

What about Justice Fingers?

Walter Wall
Or
Courtney Fishyet?

SlatternismyMiddlename Fri 17-May-13 16:45:59

I come from a long line of Dicks thank goodness my grandmother married my grandfather

BottledWaterandFags Fri 17-May-13 15:44:17

On the names thing, a lot of Chinese students at the University I work at give themselves Anglicised names. Some of the girls pick beautiful names (I once taught a Lilly Pearl) and some of the boys take very 'masculine' superhero names (I once taught a Blaze).

One guy this year calls himself Terry Wogan hmm

Technotropic Fri 17-May-13 15:39:41

Apologies if someone has already mentioned Fanny Chmelar.

Theresa Green = Trees are green

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now