AIBU to expect the buyer to pay the cost of my traveling to meet him half way?

(81 Posts)
WeAreEternal Sun 12-May-13 14:01:34

I sold something online, the buyer asked me if I'd meet him half way, I agreed, then realised he lived 5 hours away.

He has asked me to meet him two hours away, it will cost me about £50 to get there.
I told he this and he said "ok it will cost me about the same to get there too."

After several messages I figured out that he was under the impression that I would be coving the cost to get to the meeting city.
I told him that I would like him to send the £50 before I go and he said that he expected me to cover the cost from the money he is paying for the item he is buying. I said no and he has been really rude since.

I'm supposed to be going to meet him tomorrow, but I have said that I expect him to cover the cost of my traveling or I won't be coming.

AIBU?

He is seriously trying to pull a fast one. He has your name and address, and you are considering giving him your bank account details? Just cancel the auction and relist. You are being set up for identify theft.

firesidechat Mon 13-May-13 18:03:17

Bank transfers are the safest payment method for the seller, not so great for the buyer because they cannot be reversed. The bank details you supply for a transfer can only be used to put money in, not take it out.

Apart from that, the whole transaction seems to be a right pain in the bum and the buyer is either dodgy or incredibly ignorant about how Ebay works.

firesidechat Mon 13-May-13 18:06:16

Personally I would go for one of two options:

Payment by Paypal and you send by special delivery.

or

He collects from your house and pays in cash.

You are perfectly within your rights to insist on this because you didn't offer other options in the listing.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Mon 13-May-13 18:36:59

God don't let him come to your house!

sarahtigh Mon 13-May-13 19:28:20

I agree he should stick to terms and it is a bit silly he can't read the description but it is scaremongering to say do not take bank transfer it is completely safe for seller no paypal fees and it can't be reversed

I would cancel the sale and relist the tickets TBH.

You listed this as cash on collection, or PayPal & post recorded. He wants to do neither. It's pinging my scam radar, I'm not sure I would trust him to not find a way to rescind the bank tranfer or even the PayPal (it can be done and PayPal are shit at actually listening to the seller IME).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now