AIBU to expect the buyer to pay the cost of my traveling to meet him half way?

(81 Posts)
WeAreEternal Sun 12-May-13 14:01:34

I sold something online, the buyer asked me if I'd meet him half way, I agreed, then realised he lived 5 hours away.

He has asked me to meet him two hours away, it will cost me about £50 to get there.
I told he this and he said "ok it will cost me about the same to get there too."

After several messages I figured out that he was under the impression that I would be coving the cost to get to the meeting city.
I told him that I would like him to send the £50 before I go and he said that he expected me to cover the cost from the money he is paying for the item he is buying. I said no and he has been really rude since.

I'm supposed to be going to meet him tomorrow, but I have said that I expect him to cover the cost of my traveling or I won't be coming.

AIBU?

FannyFifer Sun 12-May-13 14:03:16

You agreed to meet him before you realised the distance.

Not his fault so you should honour agreement.

HollyBerryBush Sun 12-May-13 14:03:47

Did you sell it as collection only?

His problem to collect it.

If you sold it as 'will deliver' - you should have factored in the costs.

Cancel the auction.

Sirzy Sun 12-May-13 14:04:37

You should have checked the distance and come to some sort of arrangement before agreeing to meet him half way.

NoSquirrels Sun 12-May-13 14:05:27

He paid the cost for the item itself, delivery costs are extra.

(Unless you stated that you'd deliver free of charge).

WorraLiberty Sun 12-May-13 14:05:29

I'd apologise and tell him it was a misunderstanding, and you're not prepared to do it.

But if I were the buyer, no way would I send someone £50 for petrol if I didn't know them.

Tryharder Sun 12-May-13 14:05:47

The buyer is being unreasonable and unrealistic.

Although, i cannot see personally how it would cost you £50 to drive 2 hours or even go that distance on public transport.

This is why we have couriers surely??

Earlybird Sun 12-May-13 14:05:49

How much profit will you be making on the item? If a lot, then travel and pay. If a little, ask for reimbursement or get him to come to you. Sort it upfront though.

Or consider selling the item to someone else. Would it be fairly simple / straightforward to sell it to someone else who could come collect it?

Glitterkitten24 Sun 12-May-13 14:05:49

What on earth are you selling? Surely if its going to cost £100 (I.e. £50 each for you and buyer) a courier service or postal service could be employed cheaper than this?

Yanbu to expect the buyer to pay, but possibly could have avoided the agro by clarifying this before agreeing you would travel.

WeAreEternal Sun 12-May-13 14:25:14

The item was advertised as cash on collection preferred but I would have happily posted if the buyer paid through PayPal.

The buyer asked to collect, but then said it was too far for him to cycle so would I be willing to meet him half way (which I why I didn't think it would be too far).
As soon as I realised how far it was I told him that I would expect him to cover my travel costs, but be didn't say anything, in a later message I told him how much it would cost me and he sent the above reply.

When I later realised that he thought I was paying my travel costs I challenged him about it.

The item is a pair of festival tickets.
I am selling them for face value, I'm not able to go for personal reasons but I'm not interested in selling them for a profit, I just want to get back the money I paid.
So I will be making no profit on the sale at all.

I have told the buyer that I can post the tickets, but he want to do the sale face to face.

WeAreEternal Sun 12-May-13 14:25:34

Oh and he has no paid.

Lj8893 Sun 12-May-13 14:28:44

Tell him he can pay via PayPal and you will be happy to post to him.

Or he can pay cash on collection, and he comes to you.

Or he can pay your travel expenses

Or you will have to withdraw the sale and sell to someone else

poopnscoop Sun 12-May-13 14:29:56

Tell him they're cost price, it's postage (which he pays), collection or nothing.

Hissy Sun 12-May-13 14:30:46

Don't do a thing until he has paid for them. Paypal only.

Send them special delivery signed for.

If he doesn't do this, cancel the sale and relist them.

poopnscoop Sun 12-May-13 14:31:17

'I have told the buyer that I can post the tickets, but he want to do the sale face to face.'

Why??? Sounds dodgy to me.

Give him a time limit to send pay and postage cost/collect... then cancel auction and re-auction. Keep all correspondence in case he files a claim.

HollyBerryBush Sun 12-May-13 14:33:19

Nope! he has to pay via paypal and you have to send registered - otherwise you have absolutely no protection whatsoever.

Cancel the auction as a non payer

Iggi101 Sun 12-May-13 14:40:41

He must be unable to use paypal. Which is dodgy in itself surely. No-one in their right mind would drive 2 hours with something the size of a ticket. Maybe the golden ticket to Willy Wonka's factory
Cancel sale. You are being honourable in not trying to make a profit - why give up your time and petrol for this eejit.

Footface Sun 12-May-13 14:40:56

If he takes them face to face, he might say he'd not received them and get PayPal to give him the money back

IrritatingInfinity Sun 12-May-13 14:52:12

I would ask him if you can mutually cancel the transaction. It is clearly ridiculous to consider meeting half way even if he paid your travel expenses.

Then I would relist them for local cash on collection (NOT PayPal)

Furoose is very informative and knows what she is talking about. I think she checks the EBay threads regularly. You could post on there and hope she sees.

Alternatively, you could post on the EBay thread on MoneySavingExpert.

diddl Sun 12-May-13 14:58:26

If he hasn't paid I'd do nothing.

Was it a "buy immediately"?-was there much other interest?

Could you re-list & factor in the cost of sending them by registered post?

schoolgovernor Sun 12-May-13 15:03:02

Whatever you do, don't leave him any opportunity to lie and claim non-delivery of goods after he's got the tickets and paid cash.
Personally I'd cancel the transaction and stuff the bad feedback he might give.
Next time just factor in the cost of tracked delivery.

WeAreEternal Sun 12-May-13 15:32:11

I did say on my advert that I was happy to post but would only post recorded delivery at a cost of £7. But that I would prefer cash on collection.
I know never to accept PayPal for a collection item.

I will send the buyer a message as advised.

bamboostalks Sun 12-May-13 15:34:55

Forget this buyer and relist.

Coconutty Sun 12-May-13 15:35:58

Do not go and meet him. Post them or refund him, no-one would travel that far to make zero profit.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sun 12-May-13 15:39:01

He is either a lunatic, a crook or a murderer. Nobody drives that far for something that can be posted. I thought it was going to be an umbrella stand or double bass or something. You can post next day signed for for about £1.50.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now