aibu to not change sheets for a while...

(110 Posts)
Cactuar Sun 12-May-13 00:06:58

Having a discussion with dh and friend about how often it is normal to change bedsheets. My mum cannot go for a week without changing bedsheets and we think this us excessive. We feel, as disgusting as is it is, that it is far more normal to leave it for weeks and only do it when it gets absolutely necessary. We think more people are like this than are willing to admit. Are we being unreasonable?

EuroShaggleton Sun 12-May-13 09:25:57

Every week. Most people sweat a lot in bed. After a week. it needs a freshen up.

CecilyP Sun 12-May-13 09:33:35

How do you define absolutely necessary? and how would you know when you had reached this point?

In the old days before fitted sheets and duvets, it was normal, once a week to put the top sheet to the bottom and put on a clean top sheet. On that basis I now go for once a fortnight. I think that is reasonable if you wear a a nightie or pyjamas and air your bed in the mornings.

Bunbaker Sun 12-May-13 09:36:23

My mum used to do that CecilyP, but in these days of automatic washing machines I just change the lot once a week. Sometimes it is after 6 days or sometimes after 8 or 9. It depends on the weather as I like to get my bedding out on the line to dry.

INeedSomeSun Sun 12-May-13 09:41:26

God I am awful then, I do them once a month! I can't believe people do them weekly - my washing basket is always full as it is.
However, when we were dtd more then I did change them quicker. Since dtd is more of a monthly occurrance since DD, I don't feel the need!

edgeofsociety Sun 12-May-13 09:44:22

Weekly. I just like a clean bed.

KatyDid02 Sun 12-May-13 09:48:14

twice a week in the summer, once a week in the winter.

DawnOfTheDee Sun 12-May-13 09:50:39

What? Do people actually change their sheets...?!

I wait till mine get to the point where they can walk to the laundry basket themselves....wink

KeepYerTitsIn Sun 12-May-13 09:56:54

Every 4 or 5 days for me. Feel uncomfortable if left any longer, and really love clean sheets. Since I found MN I've come to realise that a lot more people are manky than I would have thought - there are always threads on here with people being all competitive about how little they wash themselves, their sheets and their DCs.

MrsHoarder Sun 12-May-13 09:59:50

Where's Getorf???

I usually wash mine once a week, sometimes fortnightly if I'm busy/its raining a lot so they can't line dry. It only takes a few minutes, and I always remake the be straight away so that there is no risk of coming to bedtime and being faced with an unmade bed.

PhallicGiraffe Sun 12-May-13 10:04:05

Every few months.

EnlightenedOwl Sun 12-May-13 10:07:57

Weekly.
A midweek change in the summer if its very hot and beds need freshening

massagegirl Sun 12-May-13 10:16:24

I am clearly slovenly as some of you describe. But I'm happy and clean and have a wonderful OH so I won't be feeling too bad about my sheets!

mumnotmachine Sun 12-May-13 11:09:58

Weekly during the winter, 2-3 times a week in the summer if weather really hot

Lizzabadger Sun 12-May-13 11:23:22

Every 1-2 weeks. You spend a third of your life in bed.

thebody Sun 12-May-13 11:27:07

Every week for all of us do that's 4 beds.

Just love the feel of fresh washed sheets.

Don't think it's manly to do it less often but weeks is a bit yeuk.

When the crustiness is no longer cumfy.

expatinscotland Sun 12-May-13 11:32:48

Yuk! Once a week definitely.

MissPricklePants Sun 12-May-13 11:36:17

Weekly for mine, minimum of twice a week for dd as she still wee's the bed and pull ups seem to leak a couple of times a week. I love clean bedding!!

theoriginalandbestrookie Sun 12-May-13 11:37:59

Strangely had this chat with a friend last night, we both change once a fortnight. Once a week would be nicer I agree, but realistically once a fortnight is what happens.

IsThatTrue Sun 12-May-13 11:39:41

Is getorf around? grin

Every 2 weeks here

crashdoll Sun 12-May-13 11:45:41

"But I'm happy and clean and have a wonderful OH so I won't be feeling too bad about my sheets!"

What the heck does having a nice partner have to do with having dirty sheet??

Fortnightly for the bedding, weekly for the towels.
Don't iron either.

expatinscotland Sun 12-May-13 11:49:23

And what is 'a while'?

WorraLiberty Sun 12-May-13 11:51:03

Every weekend

DH changes ours and the kids change their own

Result for me grin

Faxthatpam Sun 12-May-13 11:55:20

Oh crap... am going to get of bloody mn and go wash the sheets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now