to think £65 for sandals is taking the piss?

(63 Posts)
fritteringtwit Sat 11-May-13 22:50:22

Been looking online for a nice pair of sandals for summer. The pair that I like are nothing fancy, just a toe post, strap and heel cover. They are leather. Everything else seems to be covered in sparkly embellishments which dont float my boat or are disgusting colours.

£65 for basically a couple of straps, a buckle and sole. Not designer, just high street name. Or am I just turning into my Dad tight fisted?

MrsMook Sat 11-May-13 23:50:03

£65 sounds like the going rate to me. Unfortunately my feet have a preference for wide, dull, and comfortable footwear with a substantail price tag. Expecting a combnatiion of wide, comfortable and attractive footwear with a modest prictag would be unreassonabe.

PickledLiver Sat 11-May-13 23:52:42

Way way way overpriced.

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sun 12-May-13 00:08:59

Depends. You need to think about price per wear. If you will wear them often then it's not expensive - no more so than a pair costing half as much that you only wear a few times. You can buy a pair costing a fiver and wear them 10 times or a pair costing 100 quid and wear them for years.

sleepdodger Sun 12-May-13 01:01:08

Ironic this thread is berating the cost of prouducts along side one which is querying how clothes are cheap and the Bangladesh factory disaster
Just saying ...

bishboschone Sun 12-May-13 01:06:08

I got a lovely tan leather pair in Zara for £20 .

PickledLiver Sun 12-May-13 01:11:03

sleep you do know where expensive stuff is made too though right?

vivizone Sun 12-May-13 01:13:24

It's all relative

I spend ridiculous amount of money on shoes

but will haggle over the price of sanitary pads.

Startail Sun 12-May-13 01:21:01

Price per wear is part of the problem. Boots can be silicon sprayed and polished, they can have nice leather insoles when their lining dies. They last 3-5 years.

I kill sandals, I don't undo them, I go out in our mucky garden, I get caught in the rain, I go for walks across the fields. I split the soles driving. Generally if they turn out to be comfy, I'm not nice to them.

I've paid that much for Birkenstocks, plain brown and have been wearing them for the last 15 years. I have dressier nicer ones for shopping etc, but they are next to the door for all my outdoor walking about, running to school etc. They work with socks in winter.
I have these in brown suede

They work with socks in winter. I can pretty much guarantee that they don't. grin

EggsMichelle Sun 12-May-13 03:19:12

I am saving to invest in some Birkenstocks. Had some fakes ones from Dorethy Perkins that lasted years and so comfy, so ready to pay good money for the real deal. Also have some Fly boots that cost ALOT but still like new after near daily wear for 4years. And then there's the in visable Dr Martens!!!

EggsMichelle Sun 12-May-13 03:20:54

* invincible!

raisah Sun 12-May-13 03:34:16

Those sandals from fly are lovely, looks comfy with a cork sole & heel. If the toes wer covered then I would buy them.

The swedish hasbeens look uncomfortable. Mainly because of the wooden sole and heel.

If any of you wonderful ladies come across sandals similar to the ones from fly but with the toes covered I'ld appreciate it if you'd inbox me.

grin MrsTerryPrachett they only do here (California) but we don't get much rain.
The covered toe ones would be more practical for winter.

Allthingspretty Sun 12-May-13 07:32:51

Head to tk maxx and look for aomething similar. You would probably find somwthing similar or better for lesa than half price.
Fwitw i dont like the shoes you have linkwd to

Allthingspretty Sun 12-May-13 07:34:14

Eggs. I got my birkies from tkmaxx . Try there

Allthingspretty Sun 12-May-13 07:40:52

Too high?

Allthingspretty Sun 12-May-13 07:44:08

Allthingspretty Sun 12-May-13 07:45:40

Allthingspretty Sun 12-May-13 07:56:20

These foe under thirty

Allthingspretty Sun 12-May-13 07:59:04

Anthracite Sun 12-May-13 08:00:34

I bought amid of peep toe, sling back shoes for £69 yesterday, so that seems a pretty standard amount for me.

Branleuse Sun 12-May-13 08:04:15

if you think the shoes are too expensive then you could try making your own?

Tee2072 Sun 12-May-13 08:06:02

Why on earth is anyone paying that much for children's shoes when they wear out in months?

ASDA, M&S, Debenhems, Dunnes, all do school shoes and others for around a tenner.

And don't believe the bullshit about 'being fitted'. You can fit just fine yourself, especially at M&S where they have a foot measuring thing right in the children's shoe section.

Adult shoes, sure, spend a bit because they don't get outgrown or wear out quite so fast.

MiaowTheCat Sun 12-May-13 08:44:29

With how bad my feet are in terms of causing me pain - I'd pay £65 for something that didn't cripple me by lunchtime in a heartbeat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now