Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that 12 units of alcohol is excessive?

(46 Posts)
DomesticGoddess31 Sat 11-May-13 22:29:21

Especially when consumed on his own and after I specifically requested that he not drink too much since I need a decent nights sleep (he snores when drunk and we have had a few rough nights with our toddler who only recently started sleeping through)???

Honest opinions please, thanks!

Can you put that in a more typical measurement, what was actually drunk?

DomesticGoddess31 Sat 11-May-13 22:34:53

5 strong ales

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sat 11-May-13 22:35:53

Very inconsiderate to drink any amount if he knew it would lead to noisy snoring especially if you're sleep deprived as it is.

WorraLiberty England Sat 11-May-13 22:35:54

5 pints or 5 halves/bottles?

EarthtoMajorTom Sat 11-May-13 22:36:13

Too much. My sympathies.

Lj8893 Sat 11-May-13 22:37:07

Can he sleep on the sofa?

numbum Sat 11-May-13 22:38:27

Depends on whether it's a one off or all the time

WorraLiberty England Sat 11-May-13 22:41:52

Google tells me it's about 5 cans

My honest opinion is that it's Saturday night and if he wants a drink then why not? It's annoying that it makes him snore...but then he might have snored anyway.

If I were him, I'd do the decent thing and sleep on the couch though.

DomesticGoddess31 Sat 11-May-13 22:43:37

oh yes he's been banished to the sofa. Thanks all, feel justified in the 'words' we had about it now. I need him to see that 'having a couple of beers' means a couple of beers, not 5 super strong ales!

He's an adult, I think he can choose how much he wants to drink, I'd be mightily pissed off if DH told me how much I should or should not be drinking..

I'd sleep on the sofa but other than that I'd drink however much I wanted to.

DomesticGoddess31 Sat 11-May-13 22:52:20

ok fair point, but do you think that much booze is alot? I know I'd be throwing up if I drunk that much but he thinks its not very much.

mamageekchic Sat 11-May-13 22:53:02

12 units is about a bottle of wine. I wouldn't say it's excessive for an occasional saturday night.

mamageekchic Sat 11-May-13 22:55:00

To answer your last post I would be a little bit drunk after that, probably talking too much and being a bit silly but I would be falling over/sick etc I'd also feel fine the next day.

Iteotwawki Sat 11-May-13 22:55:23

It depends on how much he drinks at other times.

12 units on a regular basis and he's looking at damaging his liver longer term.

12 units but "only on the weekends" is binge drinking and likely to damage his health longer term.

12 units once in a blue moon is probably fine, as would 12 units spread throughout the week with at least 2 dry days.

DomesticGoddess31 Sat 11-May-13 22:55:53

Can we forget that it happens to be Saturday night? If it was a drinking occasion he'd have had more like 8 strong ales

mamageekchic Sat 11-May-13 22:56:33

*wouldn't be sick/ falling over

ginmakesitallok Sat 11-May-13 22:59:29

A bottler of wine wouldn't make me sick or fall over. Not typical of a Saturday night, but not unusual either. Don't think this is just about tonight though?

sweetestcup Sat 11-May-13 22:59:53

Doesnt seem that bad to me if its only the equivalent of a bottle of wine.

AgentZigzag Sat 11-May-13 23:00:36

A bottle of wine's not excessive I would say, and I agree with Tig that I wouldn't like DH trying to dictate how much I was allowed to drink (aside from if I was drinking a bottle of spirits a night and it was causing problems).

Is it just about the snoring or is there something more controlling going on?

If its a bottle of wine (have no idea about anything to do with ale so was struggling) then no don't think thats excessive at all.

The only thing I think worth being annoyed about is the snoring but if he's sort of saying "I've had a drink but I'll sleep on the sofa" then no problem at all.

DragonMamma Sat 11-May-13 23:03:15

If 12 units is a bottle of wine then I wouldn't think that was drinking 'too much' over the course of evening. If my dh said that to me I would assume he would mean don't have any more than the one bottle. I'd be a bit more relaxed after a bottle but not drunk/stumbling/being sick.

DomesticGoddess31 Sat 11-May-13 23:03:50

I am a bit of a light weight these days, I admit, but 12 units is more like a bottle and a third of wine and i would feel like death the next day. Anyway, the point is he said he wouldn't drink much and I think he has and he can't see it.

squeakytoy Sat 11-May-13 23:04:40

Do you sit counting the units while he has a drink?

Unless he is doing this every night of the week, yabu and controlling.

I snore without the aid of a drink..

DragonMamma Sat 11-May-13 23:08:10

I don't think he's drunk that much. 5 cans is pretty tame for most men I know, irrespective of the strength.

I drank 4 cans Bank Holiday afternoon which was around 10 units and another wouldn't have been a problem. I was still able to cook dinner, iron uniforms and watch TV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now