to give a box of maltesers as a birthday present for a 9yo?

(74 Posts)
TwoFourSixOhOne Sat 11-May-13 10:12:07

DD has a party today at 12. We had planned to go into town to get a present this morning, but she has spent the last two hours in a meltdown, horrible awful screeching and spitting and swearing.

We know it's because she is wound up about the party, it's not a particualr friend of hers but it is someone she looks up to, it's a cool disco party and she's spoken of nothing else for weeks. I'm not going to stop her going to the party, before anyone says that, she is being assessed for a demand avoidance disorder and there is a direct correlation between her excitement and her meltdown.

However, I'm not prepared to rush around now and buy a gift, I've told her she can go to the shop over the road and buy a box of maltesers or similar and wrap those up.

We've had similar gifts at parties (often with a 'sorry, it was last minute' apology) but I am v laid back about presents, I know some people aren't. Woudl you be pissed off or judgy if your DD got a present like that? I dont' know this family at all.

AIBU?

(and yes, I know I should have a box of ready to wrap presents or got something weeks ago but we are just not that organised, sorry)

TwoFourSixOhOne Sat 11-May-13 20:57:22

Thank you thanks.

It's so hard not to feel like a terrible parent when your nine year old is throwing herself to the floor and screaming because you've asked her to clean her teeth before bed, or something equally as innocuous.

And it's exhausting when the strategy that worked like a dream all last week suddenly fails completely and has the opposite effect.

You wouldn't be in awe of me if you saw me screaming back at her though, I'm not always brilliant at the calm and measured approach although I'm trying.

sad

thebody Sat 11-May-13 20:46:24

I am in awe of you op. the child I know sounds so much like your dd.

I think it's so difficult because these children can be irresistibly lovely and fun and nice and then inexplicably be the exact opposite.

People just see them as spoilt and needing a firm hand when in actual fact they are very anxious and feel under threat.

TwoFourSixOhOne Sat 11-May-13 20:38:22

She is violent, yes, horribly so with her older brother and with us, much less with 'outsiders' and so far never with DS2.

She seems to hold it together more at school, she is more passively avoidant rather than flying into a rage. I tend to get the brunt of it when I pick her up <sigh>, as though she's held it in all day.

kneedeepindaisies Sat 11-May-13 20:35:43

Glad she had fun. Green eyeshadow is pretty fab grin

thebody Sat 11-May-13 20:31:56

I have read this thread with interest as I know a young child with this.

Can I ask when your dd feels threatened and stressed is she violent towards others. If yes has she grown out if this?

So glad she enjoyed the party.

sparklekitty Sat 11-May-13 20:21:25

Ah, just read this and was about to ask how your DD got on. So glad she had a good time, sounds like you all deserved for her to have fun after the morning you've had smile

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-May-13 20:20:47

Sounds fab. Green eyeshadow grin

TwoFourSixOhOne Sat 11-May-13 20:16:08

She had a brilliant time, it was a disco and she came home with a party bag stuffed full of makeup.

She then spent the afternoon dancing around with false nails and green eyeshadow....

<sob> my baby girl

Sparklingbrook Sat 11-May-13 20:09:29

How was the party?

TwoFourSixOhOne Sat 11-May-13 18:42:03

Hi, I was going to message you back but I'll put it here in case it's useful for anyone else.

I went through my GP, who has been fantastic. We saw the paed to start with but he said it's out of his area of expertise so he has referred us to the psychology team at CAHMS, we are now waiting for that appointment.

As far as coping strategies go, it is hard going. Plenty of reassurance and time is the best way to get her to do things, but obviously that's easier said than done a lot of the time. Getting out of the house on time is a flash point.

We've found that what works one day doesn't work the next, it's like constantly hitting a brick wall. She doens't cope with attention, although she craves it. So we'll be sitting with her doing something she wants to do and she'll push and push and push until we're in an argument. Since we;ve identified this it's been easier (a bit!) to distract and cajole her without being suckered into a row.

When she does passive avoidance, like laying on the floor, covering her ears, pretending she;s a cat, the only thing that works is patience, and asking her again just leads to a violent screaming meltdown.

It is so stressful, but she is so wonderful when she's not being an insane nightmare, she's beautiful and sweet and funny and then she just turns into a snarling animal.

Asking for help and being told it's an actual thing was the best thing we ever did as a family. She's the middle child, we have DS1 who's 10 and DS2 is 20 months, so you can imagine how her issues have a knock on effect.

PearlyWhites Sat 11-May-13 18:32:20

Ahhh dd distracted me above post was meant to be a pm to the op

PearlyWhites Sat 11-May-13 18:25:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pigletmania Sat 11-May-13 18:07:56

Oops sorry op just read back blush

pigletmania Sat 11-May-13 18:04:41

Ooooh you would be my best friend maltesers are my favourite smile. Just wandering op, does your dd have any sn?

5madthings Sat 11-May-13 17:45:38

Maltesers and a fiver is a great gift, mine would be thrilled with that smile

UnChartered Sat 11-May-13 17:43:13

hope DD had a good time, OP

i understand the tantrums as panic attacks, DD has ASD and her anxiety levels are uncontrollable at times

and yes, i'd love a box of malteasers too

YANBU. Most kids would like Maltesers, it's fun, it shows some nice effort and most importantly, the child will love them and eat them. Unlike loads of tat (which I admit to giving mainly as I have too little imagination), Maltesers will be used (well, eaten!) so it makes a better gift.

I'm feeling hungry for Maltesers now blush

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 11-May-13 17:19:18

Yanbu. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

SgtTJCalhoun Sat 11-May-13 16:00:45

Mine went nuts aged around four. I remember driving her home with her going ballistic in the back of the car, truly scared we wouldn't make it with car and/or us intact.

SgtTJCalhoun Sat 11-May-13 15:59:27

I would have loved that gift age 9 and so would my 6 or 10 year old now.

I've got a dd who is diagnosed with ASD but is SO oppositional when stressed I believe it could be PDA.

Feel your pain thanks.

Jinty64 Sat 11-May-13 13:40:18

I got a box from the girls at work last week, the ds's are eating them now. They have let me have 3!

perplexedpirate Sat 11-May-13 13:16:56

I now really want a box of maltesers and a fiver!

everlong Sat 11-May-13 12:53:52

Yep a box of chocolates, a card with a fiver in is fine.

Hope she has a lovely time.

chillinwithmyyonis Sat 11-May-13 12:45:52

I'd happily receive a box of maltesers for my birthday at the grand old age of 28! Makes me fancy a box right now in fact!

Oh and I've heard of her condition, I study Psychology, no eye rolling from me!

gordyslovesheep Sat 11-May-13 12:13:56

Maltesers are a great gift - mine would love that

Sounds like you have had a horrible morning - gentle squishes - I have 2 very challenging children and a 4 year old - I sympathise x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now