AIBU - I am starting to seriously dislike my Dad.

(54 Posts)
radicalradish Sat 11-May-13 07:48:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Livinglavidafoca Sat 11-May-13 21:32:30

Welcome to the world of the stepmother. I am afraid I can't help you, but my brother went through the same and we both now live in different cities away from our father and stepmother. Lucky her, she got my mother's house.

radicalradish Sun 12-May-13 09:10:05

radicalradish Sun 12-May-13 09:16:13

HollyBerryBush Sun 12-May-13 09:22:58

I see where you are coming from. You were only 18, and with the best will in the world, in mourning for your mother and it is a bit of a shock to the system when another woman pitches up. I wasn't emotionally prepared for it at 28.

The tone was probably set back when you were 18. It will be very difficult to alter the family dynamic now and make a friend of her.

Perhaps your Dad just likes having someone to look after. If she knows you resent her, and you have told your Dad this, then things are never going to defrost.

Female relationships are peculiar, what you tolerate from one, you wouldn't from another. Some women give off the vibe that their kitchen is their domain - you'd let your mother/sister/best mate into it - but not another woman. I certainly wouldn't be offering to make a cup of tea in the house of someone I knew resented me simply because I would treading on their territory.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now