Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think its irresponsible

(49 Posts)
peacefuloptimist Sat 11-May-13 06:54:40

For Cbeebies to encourage puddle-jumping?

Are they going to take on the responsibility (for all the parents whose kids can no longer walk past puddles without hurling themselves in to them) of purchasing waterproof footwear for children and washing puddle-splattered clothing? No? Then stop with all the propaganda about puddle-jumping being the next best thing since sliced bread.

AIBU?

Tee2072 Sat 11-May-13 08:27:24

Do you live in some weird world, OP, where the clothes can't be washed and the shoes won't dry?

You would have probably had a heart attack the day my son came out of preschool with his jumper covered in green paint. His teacher assured me he was even wearing a smock...

No you're right. Kids'll never think of puddle jumping on their own.

It's not like kids've been puddle jumping for hundreds of years or anything...

And Tee, re: world peace - I think you're right. smile

peacefuloptimist Sat 11-May-13 08:34:48

It's all fair and well if your child is that way inclined I hope your washing machine is reliable but cbeebies puts ideas in their heads see. Ideas that I don't want there. Like this morning ds was watching a bunch of animals (isn't just peppa anymore) frolicking (sp?) in puddles and I could see the wheels in his head turning. I shouldn't be spending all this time in front of the tv. I should be outside running around being active and jumping in puddles. That looks fun. No! No! No!

Sirzy Sat 11-May-13 08:38:19

Well you can't blame cbeebies for what peppa does!

Tee2072 Sat 11-May-13 08:38:31

Okay, now I know you're joking.

Or drunk.

One or the other.

Chandon Sat 11-May-13 08:40:20

Thanks to MN, I always think of slightly deranged mothers encouraging their kids to jump in puddles, the sort of mums with their hair in bunches who skip instead of walk, and think puddle jumping shows a wonderful slightly anarchistic attitude to life.... the kids do not like getting wet, but mum tells them " come on! It is fun!"

Anyway, when my kids jump into puddles, or "over them" I get quite cross with them, as I have plenty of laundry as it is!!!

I think the fact thatI make it a forbidden activity adds to the fun though....

Think about that, MN mums with your flowery wellies and pigtails wink

pictish Sat 11-May-13 08:45:07

Oh come on!

I don't wear pigtails...but I do walk across a large park to school every day which is always pretty quiet apart from the odd dog walker. There are great puddles in the park.
Would be rude not to, I feel. wink

Nothing wrong with being quietly anarchic. grin

<vees to the lemon faces>

Sirzy Sat 11-May-13 08:52:15

My hair is too short for pigtails and my calfs too chubby for wellies. Sorry to ruin your stereotype!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 11-May-13 08:55:18

Tee for President of the World.

That is all.

blondieminx Sat 11-May-13 08:59:01

I haven't worn pigtails since I was about 7! But with DD, if we see a puddle and we have wellies on then yup, we will be bouncing though it grin

Kids should finish the day looking as though they've had a good time. Kids who are always pristine make me a bit judgey pants about the parents! grin

Tee2072 Sat 11-May-13 09:00:05

I don't have pigtails, I have a buzz cut. I also don't own wellies.

Thanks UIISA! Where do I sign up to run? grin

RaspberrySchnapps Sat 11-May-13 09:04:22

finally someone is brave enough to speak out. YANBU. Cbeebies is evil and should be stopped.

Jumping in puddles is rowdy and unclean, especially if you are trying to instil the expectation of house to limo to red carpet to Claridge's without setting foot in the usual UK wet weather, cooking is messy and chef will do this anyway (and most food is bad for you), drawing with lethal pencils is irresponsible, dressing up as dangerous animals/pirates/doctors/knights, reading stories that might fire imagination and lead to questioning and inquisitive minds. grubby knees are the beginning of the end. The evil gurning genius Justin Fletcher is entirely to blame, with his minions Alex, Andy (wild adventure), Sid, Kerri & head girl bossy boots Katie all in cahoots to damage our children by encouraging fun, light heartedness and the blowing of raspberries. thrrrrrp grin.

McKayz Germany Sat 11-May-13 09:08:01

YABU!!

The only reason for puddles is to for them to be jumped in. If you don't let your DCs jump in puddles, then the puddle dries up feeling all sad and unloved. grin

TiredFeet Sat 11-May-13 09:14:07

My son has been capable of understanding that you only jump in puddles if you wear wellies since well before he turned two thanks to peppa so I am sure your child can manage to understand that

Properly dressed it is the best fun!

peacefuloptimist Sat 11-May-13 09:14:54

On a more serious note I do think cbeebies (and tv in general) teaches kids bad habits. In the Easter break my niece called my mum (her gm) evil for not letting her have another snack before dinner. shock we were all wondering where she got it from and then I saw that little girl with a spider on cbeebies call her dad horrid because he made her wait for a bus. I'm always tsking when I watch cbeebies.

peacefuloptimist Sat 11-May-13 09:18:10

Unfortunately it's the best babysitter you can get last minute for £0 wink

superbagpuss Sat 11-May-13 09:19:47

I have pigtails and black goth wellies
I also skip and sing to my DT

puddles can be jumped in if wearing wellies, any other shoes is a big no no, and they wear older replaceable clothes to nursery because they are children, unless dh is in charge in which case their wear their best clothes that are dirty hmm

this is their time to have fun but learn when it is appropriate

my DT watch very little cbeebies and certainly no peppa pig.

GibberTheMonkey Sat 11-May-13 10:22:39

Another who has time place and appropriate clothing rules.
All being right then go for your life
We used to go on puddle hunting missions
I have some lovely pictures of my youngest standing in puddles examining. Like this one

Peppa is not on cbeebies.

Neither is Horrid Henry, which encourages my sons to call me a smelly nappy baby when I say no to another biscuit hmm

YABU about puddles. I bought waterproofs just for puddlejumping, as when you don't have a car, splashing is inevitible!

TiredFeet Sat 11-May-13 13:59:58

far more importantly AIBU to be absolutely fuming that our neighbour has filled in the pothole awesome puddle jumping puddle right outside our back gate?! I spent many a happy morning there with DS

what do you do when it rains if you don't go puddle jumping? I thought that was what rain was for!

The sooner they turn peppa into a bacon sarnie the better imo.

<<snorts>>

I love puddle jumping, my charge loves it, but it is a pitfa when she's wearing her lovely fluffy warm boots and then goes to jump in a puddle. her Mum gives me this face >> hmm when I get her home blush

Green Wellies. No pigtails. Hate pink.

Btw, watched Singin' in the Rain with my son this afternoon. Gene Kelly jumping on puddles in front of a policeman. It's anarchy here now. Anarchy I tell ya!

littlepeas Sat 11-May-13 18:44:07

Very unreasonable! They are only little once and should have as much fun as possible!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now