To be just a little disappointed with this pudding menu?

(92 Posts)
dilanddan Fri 10-May-13 20:54:48

I have a bit of a "thing" about having a look at the menu of a place we're off to eat at before we go.... Now I absolutely LLLUURRRVVVEE pudding, so that's the first place I'll look!!

So AIBU to think this pudding menu is a little boring or am I just uncultured??

-Desserts-

Lemon meringue bavarois, raspberry sorbet

Poached pear, dark chocolate sauce, ginger ice cream

Rhubarb crème brûlée, apple sorbet, rhubarb compote

Selection of homemade ice creams & sorbets in a brandy snap basket

Cheese Plates: A selection of four British & French cheeses with traditional accompaniments

I mean WHERE'S THE CHOCCY CAKE?????!!!!!

Still18atheart Fri 10-May-13 22:14:56

YANBU I think there's too much ice creamy stuff and I don't like rhubarb . And I don't like cheese as a pudding

BUT

YABU as I hate warm puddings or chocolate cake after a big heavy meal. I just feel yucky afterrwards

Still18atheart Fri 10-May-13 22:16:16

And what is bavarois?????

I'm not a pudding person, but that is BORING!!!

Yes, definitely needs some decadent chocolate cake, and a lemon tart to cleanse the palate afterwards grin

That looks lovely to me. I wouldn't be able to decide!

I want to know more about this men's and women's pudding thing though. That sounds almightily naff

raisah Fri 10-May-13 22:26:51

Apple pie / crumble with custard or any hot pudding with custard. Chocolate cake of course........I am hungry now!

detoxlatte Fri 10-May-13 22:26:54

Interesting selection.

Actually, boring selection but interesting in that none of those options would need to be made fresh to order, and all could easily keep for two or three days...which perhaps a cake couldn't (at least not to be of restaurant quality).

Quite telling, actually. Unless you're in London, I hope they're not charging more than a fiver a pop.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 10-May-13 22:27:13

I'd order the creme brûlée. Yum! I never order the chocolate option, probably because I eat chocolate the rest of the time!

Scholes34 Fri 10-May-13 22:31:02

Love poached pears. Love creme brulee (prefer it to be called Burnt Cream). Chocolate cake is always over-rated and usually a disappointment.

tigerdriverII Fri 10-May-13 22:32:31

Pudding - meh. Sooo last season. But a decent filthy smelly cheeseboard. Now you're talking. If you want choccy, call into the petrol station on the way home and buy a mars bar.

comelywenchlywoo Fri 10-May-13 22:32:49

I'll have your pear then please! YABU. I've seen dessert menus waaaaay worse than that one!

olivertheoctopus Fri 10-May-13 22:43:59

I'd go for the pear or the rhubarb and would have no complaints!!

dilanddan Sat 11-May-13 05:54:49

Hehe, no I wasn't there MNing away, it's where we're going in a few weeks.

Was a tad on the grumpy side as I'll be unable to have any of the starters and only 1 of the main options as I'm a vegetarian (cue groans!) and VERY allergic to fish. So I was hoping the puddings would make up for it! Hey ho!

Thank you for all the replies, I'm very much considering passing your wise word onto the fancy pants, pudding hating head chef! ;)

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 11-May-13 06:02:27

Poached pear and choccie sauce is divine though - you always forget how divine until you're eating it, and then it all comes rushing back. Throw in some ginger ice-cream and you're onto a proper winner.

Go for that.

TheSloppelganger Sat 11-May-13 06:59:55

I would not be tempted by anything off that list, so they'd be losing a sale if they were feeding me.

I don't like sorbet and I don't particularly like most fruit, and there is massive overkill on both.

There definitely needs to be something pie, tart or cake-like on that list for the stodge-lovers - just one thing that doesn't have fruit or bloody icky sorbet flopped all over it. What happened to cream or custard (or creme anglais if you want to be fancy?)

Give me a plain but beautifully done creme brulee any day and I'll be happier than a pig in mud. It is a gorgeous dessert as it is, and doesn't need fruity fuckers meddling with it and sticking sloppy horrible rhubarb in it.

I'd anonymously send the restaurant a link to this thread, let them know how much their pud-menu disappoints some MNers - see if you can't get cake on the menu before your visit wink

UptheChimney Sat 11-May-13 07:03:33

YABU

Perhaps you'd be better off in something like a Nandos.

JaponicaTroggs Sat 11-May-13 07:47:22

I would not be happy with that, I love a nice pudding menu and that doesn't do it for me. Only a couple of weeks until I get to go to The Cheesecake Factory again. Now they now how to do dessert! www.thecheesecakefactory.com/menu/Cheesecake/

Ashoething Sat 11-May-13 09:00:03

Why are you going to a restaurant where you cant eat any of the starters and don't like any of the puddings? Go somewhere else! I don't liker any of those puddings either-too much fruit crap.

orangeandemons Sat 11-May-13 09:00:58

Phone them and ask them if they do any better ones. Often they have daily specials that won't be on the menus. If they say no, then tell them they need to up their game to proper puddings

Weener Sat 11-May-13 09:35:11

I think it's a bit unusual that there isn't a bog old cake option, but I quite fancy most of those apart from the poached pear thing. I don't get poached pears.

Weener Sat 11-May-13 09:35:39

bog old cake? big old cake!! grin

Googlella Sat 11-May-13 09:41:17

YANBU. There needs to be pure chocolate something. All choices lovely but not what I would want. I would just have a coffee and come home for a big bar of Dairy Milk.

ENormaSnob Sat 11-May-13 09:50:26

Yanbu

That's shit.

I would probably cry if presented with that.

middleagedspread Sat 11-May-13 10:32:35

please can somebody tell me about men's & women's puddings at a wedding I'm fascinated?
Do they have gender drinks? I'm thinking 'a small sweet sherry for the laydees'.

KobayashiMaru Sat 11-May-13 10:43:20

go somewhere else. and what does it matter if you are allergic to fish if you are a vegetarian? hmm

Sounds delicious, but I agree that if I happened to be in a CAKE! NOW! mood I'd be disappointed. Maybe they have specials?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now