To be just a little disappointed with this pudding menu?

(92 Posts)
dilanddan Fri 10-May-13 20:54:48

I have a bit of a "thing" about having a look at the menu of a place we're off to eat at before we go.... Now I absolutely LLLUURRRVVVEE pudding, so that's the first place I'll look!!

So AIBU to think this pudding menu is a little boring or am I just uncultured??

-Desserts-

Lemon meringue bavarois, raspberry sorbet

Poached pear, dark chocolate sauce, ginger ice cream

Rhubarb crème brûlée, apple sorbet, rhubarb compote

Selection of homemade ice creams & sorbets in a brandy snap basket

Cheese Plates: A selection of four British & French cheeses with traditional accompaniments

I mean WHERE'S THE CHOCCY CAKE?????!!!!!

cookielove Fri 10-May-13 21:08:09

I'd go for the lemon meringue thing but nothing else sounds appealing.

I would need to see a chocolate cake to, the brownie sounds nice assuming it has no nuts in it though hmm

I went to a restaurant that had no dessert menu shock the waitress came over and told us what they had, which is a terrible idea as we completely forgot what she had said and didn't want to look like idiots and ask again so we got nothing, which in itself is a fucking crime!!

Pigsmummy Fri 10-May-13 21:09:43

I would happily eat all that right now

tiggytape Fri 10-May-13 21:10:10

YANBU - too much fruit and not enough stodge variety

Naoko Fri 10-May-13 21:11:54

Sounds pretty tasty to me, but DP'd hate it, he doesn't do fruit. The best dessert menus are the ones that have both stodgy no-fruit options (chocolate cake, syrup sponge, etc) and something like you posted above because then we're both happy!

SofaCanary Fri 10-May-13 21:12:11

It all sounds a bit too foodie, not nearly filthy enough for a pud lover. YANBU.

Not even a Tiramisu!

snoworneahva Fri 10-May-13 21:21:04

I think it sounds fine. Creme brûlée with rhubarb is a classic, light & luxurious. Pear is a bit out of season but ginger ice cream is fab and the combo with chocolate sauce will work beautifully. Love lemon puds, dh always has a cheese board.

Chocolate dominated puds are often too heavy after a starter and a main, can leave you feeling like you ate just too much food. I like chocolate brownies/fomdants with a mid morning coffee/brunch thing or afternoon tea.

motherinferior Fri 10-May-13 21:21:32

Creme brûlée needs to be plain. With a thick sugar crust. There should be one seriously chocolatey and one intensely lemony option. Possibly interesting fruit for the weirdos who don't like pudding. Also cheese.

SybilRamkin Fri 10-May-13 21:31:47

Cake. There must be cake, or pie, or at the very least cheesecake. Otherwise it cannot be classed as a dessert menu and must henceforth be known as 'pointless sugary snack menu'. This should be the law.

orangeandemons Fri 10-May-13 21:36:10

I could live off puddings. They are so much nicer than other food

<gloomily contemplates paunch>

Fleecyslippers Fri 10-May-13 21:38:18

Are you actually in a restaurant right now ? Transcribing the menu onto MN ? shock

I'd be more concerned about your company rather than the pudding menu wink

Mintyy Fri 10-May-13 21:38:28

I can honestly and truly say I never eat pudding in a restaurant grin.

I only eat pudding or cake if someone else has cooked it for me (to be polite).

chickensaladagain Fri 10-May-13 21:39:39

Sorbet in a brandy snap basket?

Have you gone back in time to the 70s?

hermioneweasley Fri 10-May-13 21:42:10

Agree, there needs to be something more decadent, whether chocolate, sticky toffee pud or even a nice tarte au citron (for example)

Don't get me started on weddings where they do men's and women's desserts and the men get things like sticky toffee and women get melon or summer fruits pudding. Fuck right off.

I think it sounds yummy! But I generally can only manage a light pudding after I've eaten dinner out pigged out on a massively fattening starter and main

forevergreek Fri 10-May-13 21:44:15

Sounds good. After a large meal I wouldn't want anything heavy

idiot55 Fri 10-May-13 21:46:22

i dont like chocolate, but wheres the sponge pudding?

StuffezLaYoni Fri 10-May-13 21:46:45

Rubbish selection. In fact, I'd only go for the cheese board out of all of them and given the rest of the options, I'd bet it's not a very adventurous cheese board!

MoreBeta Fri 10-May-13 21:47:20

Now this is a subject that I routinely get on my hih horse about.

Desert menus in restaurants have deteriorated to a shocking level since the financial crisis. The reason is that restaurants save often try to money by sacking the pastry chef and just buying in or constructing simple deserts that they wack a huge markup on but dont have to employ staff to actually make.

It really is a con job. I hate it and I eat out a fair bit and I really think charging £15 - 20 for a main course and then drizzzling a bit of fruit over ice cream or doing a creme brulee or just chopping up a few bits of fruit and some supermarket bought cheese and calling that a desert is NOT ON!

Pudding is just as important to me as a main course. It is the delight at the end. The problem is most chefs just like doing main courses and can't be fagged to think about desert.

joanofarchitrave Fri 10-May-13 21:48:47

Mens and womens puddings?? weird.

Sounds pretty good, but a pudding without fruit is a waste of time to me

Why not think Italian? have starter, main course and then go to a gelateria for pud.

ariadneoliver Fri 10-May-13 21:51:01

YABU. There's a cheese board, what more could anyone want for dessert?

grin

DearPrudence Fri 10-May-13 21:54:01

I'm not a pudding fan, but I don't think this is up to much. It's all a bit... fruity isn't it? And I don't like ice cream.

I'll have the cheese please.

Helpyourself Fri 10-May-13 21:59:13

All too sharp. Where's the sweet/creamy stodge?

DearPrudence Fri 10-May-13 22:02:04

No sign of any pastry or cake - have they run out of flour or something?

SoftSheen Fri 10-May-13 22:06:07

Sounds pretty fantastic to me- I don't often order puds but would be seriously tempted by the chocolate pear or the rhubarb brûlée.

YABVU!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now