Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

WIU to have eaten someone else's curry?

(63 Posts)
MrsLouisTheroux2 Fri 10-May-13 20:45:03

We ordered a takeaway consisting of lots of things including one curry.
It took 1hr 30 mins to arrive and when it did, I unpacked it & took lids off everything.

The curry was Jalfrazi instead of Korma for DC.
We dished everything up, DC went without curry. We thought about phoning back, asking for the Korma but decided to eat what was sent.

25 min later we were just finishing when there was a knock on the door, it was the delivery driver with our Korma in a bag.

I said 'thank you but we've eaten what was sent.'
The delivery driver looked stunned and said 'I don't know what to say, nobody has ever done that before. I needed to swop the currys over and take them the jalfrazi'
I said 'We had opened the tins so I doubt that the Jalfrazi person would want it after it has been opened by us.'
The driver said 'Why did you open it?'
I said 'that's what you do when dishing up, open the tins'
He said oh, ok, nobody has done that before, I needed to take it to them'
I said 'ok' and he walked off with the Korma shaking his head.sad

I feel guilty. Like I've just eaten someone else's dinner (which actually I have) but who would have wanted a 25 min old opened Jalfrazi really?

How unreasonable am I on a scale of 1:10?

MERLYPUSS Sat 11-May-13 09:24:24

Deffo report them to health and safety. The Korma person could've gobbed in it and then it was returned to you.
Did you say tyour child had gone without curry as they delivered one too spicey. That is unreasonalble too.

And find a new take away.

EllaFitzgerald Sat 11-May-13 09:28:04

Would definitely find a new takeaway. If it took that long to arrive, how do you know it wasn't sat in someone else's house having been delivered there by mistake?

dopeysheep Sat 11-May-13 09:44:09

"Nobody has ever done that before" - so the wrong orders must happen reasonably often for him to be aware of the previous responses!

Longdistance Sat 11-May-13 09:50:48

I hate it when they bring you the wrong food.

I certainly wouldn't have waited an hour and a half for food though, that's far too long.

We were given the wrong pizza the other week, but we were so hungry we ate it anyway. Bit stupid not to.

lottiegarbanzo Sat 11-May-13 10:02:38

Wow, just extraordinary in so many ways.

Of course you should open what you're given. Once it's delivered to you it's yours. If they send you extra, that's their probem, if the wrong thing, they need to issue a fresh replacement (quickly enough to fit with your meal) or a refund.

The 'no-one has ever...' comment - amazing! Mostly that this happens often but also that their customers are so habituated to it that they read the label carefully to check (not always easy IME!) and leave aside the wrong meals, then accepting an old, mis-delivered version of the right one.

Definitely environmental health, this is shocking.

(Tins though? Had visions of you opening cold, long-life food with tin opener! I'd just say container.)

When I had the wrong chinese delivered, I was sent a new replacement but told to keep the wrong one. The lady said - it's nice, just eat it grin It was chicken in fruity sauce or OK sauce, something like that and very sweet.

Steffanoid Sat 11-May-13 10:19:31

thats what our Chinese did when they sent us the wrong thing(once in my whole life I think) sent the replacement really quick and said tge wrong one is nice try it,

melika Sat 11-May-13 10:25:48

No YANBU, I would have eaten it too! It's their fault not yours.

diddl Sat 11-May-13 10:26:14

They usually write the number on the top, don't they?

So it might be possible to realise that there is a wrong dish before opening.

But surely, once opened-even if you realise it's wrong & put the lid straight back on-it can't be given to someone else by them??

Kafri Sat 11-May-13 10:38:48

We had 'curry issues' a few weeks ago.

I ordered a take away for delivery on a Saturday night. I was told it would be about 40/45 mins which was fine. Well, half hour after the 45 mins had passed I called them to ask where it was. I was told in rather a rude manner that they were really busy and relying on customers to give them a bit if slack about delivery times and could I wait a further 20 mins??

I said i'd given them enough slack as they had had a further half hour and no i'd like a refund.

The guy then said they I would have to wait for the delivery driver for a refund so i might as well just wait for the curry. Was geting cross by this point so said no, i'd wait for the refund thank you very much.

Anyway, when the delivery driver turned up with the refund, he told me that my meal had been waiting for delivery since half hour after I originally ordered (i.e. ready to be delivered on time) but because there was only him delivering, it was taking an age to get them all out but that the take away wouldn't refuse orders.

Given that my order was ready for delivery at 8.40 (time I was originally told) and the delivery driver arrived at 10.20 with my refund, i'm glad I didn't eat it.

lottiegarbanzo Sat 11-May-13 11:25:22

Cartons! (dwell on trivial irrelevancies, moi?!)

FeckOffCup Sat 11-May-13 12:32:44

My friend had similar happen to her, she got the wrong curry delivered but ate it anyway. A while later the takeaway phoned when they realised the mix up and asked for the original one back. When she said she had eaten it the guy went ballistic and told her she was blacklisted from ever ordering from there again!

Maggie111 Sat 11-May-13 21:28:46

0 unreasonableness

But a 10 if you would order from there again! Yuk!

shewhowines Sat 11-May-13 23:17:38

We were told to keep our wrong delivery and they would send our proper one ASAP.
They will keep our future business unlike yours, who hopefully have just lost a customer.

ravenAK Sun 12-May-13 04:30:35

We got told off for accidentally nicking someone's bottle of coke.

Takeaway turned up - think it was pizza, might've been curry, cheap local place either way.

There was a big bottle of diet coke in the bag. Dh, who answered the door & dished up, was mildly surprised to see it as I'd ordered & he knew I wouldn't've ordered a soft drink; I don't like fizzy pop myself & dh has cans of it in the fridge.

Vaguely assuming it was part of some sort of 'meal deal', he poured himself a glass.

Twenty minutes later, the delivery bloke returned - he'd made the next delivery, found himself down a litre of coke, realised he'd given it to us by mistake & returned for it.

We actually agreed to pay for it, but he was still thoroughly pissed off as he had to go back to base, pick up another bottle & take it to the other customer, & got completely unnecessarily arsey about it.

Haven't used that takeaway since.

McGeeDiNozzo Sun 12-May-13 04:42:50

Jalfrazi is the best curry out there. YANBU to have eaten the delicious foods. They should have given you the korma and made another jalfrazi - their error, they should take the hit, and free jalfrazi for you.

Buzzardbird Sun 12-May-13 04:54:26

Maybe it wasn't really the wrong meal, it was just a Korma Korma Korma Korma chameleon!

Lilithmoon Sun 12-May-13 10:30:50

Mwah ha ha Buzzardbird, very clever smile.

Chunderella Sun 12-May-13 12:30:23

Eeurgh, however nice the jalfrezi was I wouldn't be going there again! You'd never know if your meal had been delivered to someone else before you.

Lizzabadger Sun 12-May-13 13:37:29

Don't use them again - yuck.

limitedperiodonly Sun 12-May-13 15:11:55

Not unreasonable at all but I'd find another takeaway.

One of my favourite novels had a murder where someone delivered a curry 'by mistake' in which he'd mixed a lethal dose of heroin because he knew the recipient wouldn't be able to resist a freebie.

Not that I'm saying that about you, OP, but it was ingenious.

BreconBeBuggered Sun 12-May-13 15:37:39

That's one of my favourite novels too. I always go to the takeaway and pick up the food myself these days.

miffybun73 Sun 12-May-13 15:42:10

YANBU

jojane Sun 12-May-13 15:43:59

I work in an Indian resturant and sometimes people get given wrong order etc but we would never give a customer food that had already been at someone else house, for one the time to realise mistake, go and collect it and then deliver to correct house the food would be cold and two who knows what has happened to it.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 12-May-13 15:56:02

YANBU. But im not suprised they would of given it to the person its meant for. Hardly an issue for enviromental health. And i doubt anyone would of opened it, realised its not theirs, spit in it and give it back to the driver?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now