Is it reasonable to have the heating off in May?

(47 Posts)
OldRichandGrateful Fri 10-May-13 17:38:02

I'm sitting here in the gloom, with the rain banging on the windows looking at a thermometer telling me it's 14 degrees, seriously contemplating turning the heating on or lighting a fire.

It is too much to expect a little sunshine and warmth in May?

thekidsrule Tue 14-May-13 10:33:27

every morning my heating is on,even in summer unless it was 30 deg

why because it's a certain month do people NOT allow the heating on

livinginwonderland Tue 14-May-13 10:11:59

we had our heating on this morning. DP was up for work at six and it was bloody freezing in our flat!

Abra1d Tue 14-May-13 08:22:12

We have held out, so far, even though we both work from home. On one occasion I lay in bed, with the duvet over me, with my laptop. We would really rather not spend the ££££ if we can help it.

lollilou Tue 14-May-13 08:13:02

Cast ne'er a clout till May is out. smile

WafflyVersatile Tue 14-May-13 00:04:54

I sometimes change my screen background to something warm and summery to feel warmer.

Perhaps the OP could do that instead of wasting precious resources. hm.

Notcontent Tue 14-May-13 00:03:13

It's freezing tonight. I think we just need to accept that the uk doesn't ever get warm.

AThingInYourLife Tue 14-May-13 00:00:16

"If your room thermometer said 14 degrees in march you would put the heating on. what difference does the date make?"

Summer would never come if we all took that attitude. hmm

It's very important to act as though it is warm. Then warmth will follow.

grin

OldRichandGrateful Mon 13-May-13 23:17:22

I mentioned the date because I feel that May is on the way to summer and I don't think I should be lighting the fire or having the heating on!

I remember drinking Pimms, once, outside in May - good times.

WafflyVersatile - you're right though - if you're cold, put the heating on regardless of the date!

WafflyVersatile Mon 13-May-13 22:24:37

If your room thermometer said 14 degrees in march you would put the heating on. what difference does the date make?

CremeEggThief Mon 13-May-13 22:13:42

Cracked tonight and switched it back on after 9 days off! The cold was making me miserable, so it's the lesser of two evils.

do not put it on, pop on a jumper and wear your dressing gown unless you have to answer the door grin . we turned ours off in April and this month it was down from 110 to 51.

ThePinkOcelot Fri 10-May-13 22:00:09

My DH has turned the heating off! Told me and DDs to get a jumper on if we are cold! Our bills have just gone up by more than £50 a month though!

CremeEggThief Fri 10-May-13 21:48:50

Up north and turned mine off on Sunday until the middle of October, hopefully! I'm tucked up under a blanket on the sofa, and my electric blanket is heating up my bed though smile.

Notcontent Fri 10-May-13 21:39:31

In the past I used to have a rule that heating can only be on from the start of November and should be off by the end of March. But i have given up!!! I now live in a cold Victorian terrace with crap windows and no insulation and the weather for the last couple of years has been so bad. I have decided that I will just put the heating on if I am cold and will try to save money on other things.

digerd Fri 10-May-13 21:05:24

I love my thermal long johns and fleece trousers. My room thermostat says 20.5 with no heating - set to +5 for the summer so will not come on - I hope!!!
Back of neck feels a bit cold as have a floor to ceiling 2m23 wide bay window behind me, but can't be bothered to get up as just eaten a large meal, to hunt for my silk scarf.

marriedinwhiteagain Fri 10-May-13 20:56:42

Set at about 17 degrees ours has come on. Thank goodness.

LaGuardia Fri 10-May-13 20:55:16

Am sitting here hunched over a portable heater. No-one else in the house seems to feel the cold like I do. YANBU.

We've got ours on!

Startail Fri 10-May-13 20:21:32

I've a fleece blanket over my knee, it's freezing here.

AThingInYourLife Fri 10-May-13 20:20:20

grin I thought we were being a bit soft heating our house to 20 degrees in Winter day times.

forevergreek Fri 10-May-13 20:02:36

Ours in on. Anything under 21 is cold in my book. If it gets to 20 in August the heating will automatically come on smile

I grew up in a freezing house and people now say well you just get used to it. I never did in 19 years!

AThingInYourLife Fri 10-May-13 18:57:22

Who said anything about worthy? confused

Our heating is set to come on at 7 degrees to avoid burst pipes.

I'm trying to will summer into existence through the power of sheer bloody mindedness.

Bowlersarm Fri 10-May-13 18:53:44

Heating on last night-so windy and gloomy. Hopefully that's it until October.

marriedinwhiteagain Fri 10-May-13 18:53:15

We never turn it off but it's set at about 17 degrees and if it gets cold it comes on. End of.

flipchart Fri 10-May-13 18:52:14

We've got two wood burners going at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now