Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To but my nephew The Gruffalo book ?

(28 Posts)
Shinyshoes1 Fri 10-May-13 15:54:01

I have 3 nephews and one niece . Every year for Christmas and birthdays I give the children £15.00 each . The same with my sisters they give my children and the other nephews £15.00 we've done this as long as I can remember

It seems like the same £15.00 is just being passed around , my children will get it , I will give my nephews it etc

So , I bought the Gruffalo . My daughter already has it and it's a good book

I know my nephew hasn't got it , so instead of shoving £15.00 in a card like I always do I thought I'd give him the book and start putting an effort into what I'm buying .
It's not £15.00 though it's probably worth about £7.00 .
It's not me that cares about the monetary value its the thought that counts but I've got a feeling my sister might raise an eyebrow .
My DP thinks I should give him the gruffalos child too or bulk it up with something but i think for a change a bit of thought has gone into it and I don't want to bulk it up for the sale of it

AIBU ??

Bakingtins Sat 11-May-13 08:22:10

I think giving kids of gruffalo age ( so presumably preschool) money is odd. Money or vouchers is what you give impossible to please teens, no? If there is an agreed spend I think you should probably make up the value with something else. I'd think it was off if anyone other than distant ancient aunts who sellotape a pound in the card gave my 3 yr old money instead of putting some thought into a gift for him.

MERLYPUSS Sat 11-May-13 10:54:14

We used to do the £15 thing. I was wanky in the end. We dont buy for anyone except my DTs (they are 5 and the other neices/nephews are 18 so they've had their turn). My 2 sisters buy for my two.
Collectively, as a family, we have home made xmas crackers on xmas day, lucky dip on boxing day and and pass the parcel the day after. All the prizes have to be less than £5 and suitably stupid for the adults - cow shaped shower hat, chilli fudge. DTs have poundshop or bootsale crap.

CSIJanner Sat 11-May-13 11:59:33

YANBU -but agree with pp that you should check with your sister first.

If you do get books, try buying from the book people, you can get more books for your money

BookPeople

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now