Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to stay in an hotel for the night just so I can sleep?

(75 Posts)
insomniarules Fri 10-May-13 08:18:25

Or is it really selfish to leave DH with DCs for one night, after they have been put to bed, and come back early in the morning?
I have not slept properly for years now but had an amazing night last Friday when DH was away. I slept beautifully and felt normal for the first time in a while.
Is it cheeky to just book a room and go?

needaholidaynow Fri 10-May-13 21:10:17

Oh and OP,

YADNBU!

BIWI Fri 10-May-13 21:13:16

How lovely! Room service dinner with a large glass of wine or three, hot, deep bath and an early night. What bliss grin

LaGuardia Fri 10-May-13 21:16:35

I wouldn't sleep well in a hotel without my family - I would worry something bad was going to happen while I was away.

Are you less itchy in the hotel linen?

CMOTDibbler Fri 10-May-13 21:51:50

BearsinMotion - 3 of us at work who all travel on business had babies within 3 months, and I remember going on a trip when they were 9 months old odd and we were working out that if we got to the hotel and threw our bags down we could eat dinner and still go to bed by 9. It was the knowledge of the fact that no one would wake you in the night till the alarm went off that was blissful. Ds sleeps like a log now, but I still like stretching out in a spotless bed and waking up without a little friend, much as I love him and the cuddles

WhitesandsofLuskentyre Fri 10-May-13 22:33:32

I spend weeks of my life sleeping on our (very comfy) sofa because we don't have a spare room and I snore really badly. I've had surgery for a deviated septum, and although it's better, it still sends DH into a rage after a number of sleepless nights (he's an insomniac, and if I fall asleep faster than him, he doesn't fall asleep at all). My GP won't take me seriously, unfortunately, so I've never been sent to a sleep clinic. I've tried mandibular devices, throat sprays, nose strips and chin strips (which basically tape your mouth shut), all to no avail. Oh well, not long now till DD1 goes to uni, so we can sleep in separate bedrooms...

Sadly, it means we can't ever go on holiday. Camping is out of the question because it's selfish of me to inflict my snoring on other people, and we can't afford the extra space for me to have my own room elsewhere.

insomniarules Sat 11-May-13 05:15:40

Well, although I woke up at 5am I slept from 9.30 and was itch free. Feel very rested and a lot calmer. Thank you for your support and suggestions yesterday, really appreciated it.

chrome100 Sat 11-May-13 06:05:12

Yay! Pleased to hear it smile

Trumpton Sat 11-May-13 06:12:20

So pleased for you. DD has two children (2.5 and0.8 ) and has started to have a night with us ( local ) one night a week. I make sure that there is loads of hot water and candles in the bathroom and clean linen on the bed. Welcome to the Hotel DD !

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 11-May-13 07:10:20

Hooray! Could you make it a regular thing OP?

BIWI Sat 11-May-13 08:54:10

Yay! It's amazing the difference a good night's sleep makes, isn't it?

insomniarules Sat 11-May-13 08:57:09

Ooh. And after my cup of tea with two tiny tubs of plastic milk and the little packet of biscuits I fell asleep again! Just woken up! Love if! Feel so much happier.

CMOTDibbler Sat 11-May-13 09:30:26

fab to hear that - sometimes just one nights really good sleep makes all the difference

Wonder why you itch at home and not in the hotel?

There must be something you can do sad

do this regularly.

take the kids today and give your dh a break.

make it worth his while to let you get a decent night's sleep.

valiumredhead Sat 11-May-13 13:49:20

Glad you slept well smile

Yuu have done all the basic stuff like eliminating washing powder/softener as the culprit of itching, haven't you?

Joiningthegang Sat 11-May-13 13:57:37

I am smiling for you

Sleep deprivation is hideous - for a year I went to a friends house for dinner and wine and caught up on sleep there - she was a lifesaver x

Joiningthegang Sat 11-May-13 13:58:17

Once a month over a year - not a whole year! That would be out staying a welcome!

If you itch at home and not at the hotel, what laundry detergent do you use?
Do you use fabric conditioner?

insomniarules Sun 12-May-13 09:25:20

Well... Some progress as itch free last night in own bed! Yay! I got the air bed ready downstairs and maybe knowing if was there was enough to sleep in my bed as there was an escaped route- if you know what I mean.
We wash with Surcare and no conditioner.
Just really pleased I've managed two nights consecutively!

BIWI Sun 12-May-13 09:29:45

Re the itching, one thing to consider is your diet - are you eating a lot of carbs? That may seem an odd question, but one of the unexpected side effects I found of eating a low carb diet was that my itchy skin totally disappeared.

I found, from my reading, that it can be a condition that is linked to both candida albicans and Irritable Bowel Syndrome - both of which I suffered from, and both of which has disappeared since I started low carbing.

BIWI Sun 12-May-13 09:30:12

...both of which have, of course blush

SarahBumBarer Sun 12-May-13 09:34:59

Wow - insomnia. I'm so glad you got your night away. The fact that I occasionally work away (hence get to relax for a night in a hotel) has saved my sanity a couple of times since I had DC (DH also snores) as I make the most of it and it is bliss. DON'T feel self-conscious on your own -no-one cares or notices - it is so common place these days. Last week in the hotel I went down for dinner and of the 8 tables occupied only one table had more than one person on it.

If I could afford it and trust DH to actually wake up when the boys do I'd do this in a heartbeat.

I start itching when I am tired.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now