To want to go by myself to a music festival?

(94 Posts)
KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 10-May-13 08:13:31

Okay. My husband has been working up in Scotland while I've been living in England, working and being a single mother since Christmas. DH is due to come down to join us at the end of the month, and today he finds out if he has a job he really wants. We are pretty optimistic about that happening.

If he has the job, we are financially set. Yay!

Now, I've been scrubbing toilets and wrangling kids and making decent money, and I would like a little break.

I have never been to a festival. I also have never seen Slayer live. They are headlining at Bloodfest in August. I was thinking it would be fun to go for the Saturday and Sunday, leaving Sat am and coming home Monday am.

I don't think a little weekend away is a big deal, but a lot of people I know are aghast. "You want to leave your husband with the kids while you go to a heavy metal festival?" Er, yes? confused

I have not asked my dh yet as we are focused on the job thing he will hear about today. If it's the good news we're hoping for, I will ask him.

My husband has "let" me take a trip to Los Angeles and a little trip to Bruges. I also go for all day hill walks, etc. I like the occasional break and he's pretty cool about this.
But so many people look shock at me, and make comments to the effect of me somehow having my husband under some sort of unfair control that makes him agree to these things, that I'm wondering if maybe they're right. DH is ok with this sort of thing, but he does grumble a little.

How many of you with dh/dp's would be "allowed" to go off for a weekend like this?

Am I BU?

PervyMuskrat Sat 11-May-13 23:18:41

I came on this thread to say "Yay" to a fellow Slayer fan and to debate the merits of the various festivals, but your last post has put a different slant on things.

You're not taking the piss to go to a festival and be yourself for a bit. My DH actively encourages me to go to gigs he can't be arsed to go to and I always find someone to talk to.

I've had a beer too many to fully articulate tonight but I'm on team "Fuck it, I'm going"

How would he react if you wanted to do something on your own but it was something he "approved" of ?

PervyMuskrat Sat 11-May-13 23:20:40

Sorry, re-read your last post and you said he'd be grumpy. That doesn't seem fair sad

PoppyWearer Sat 11-May-13 23:20:45

Say "fuck it" and go.

MegBusset Sat 11-May-13 23:23:32

YABU at all. I am pretty much over going to festivals now but I go to loads of gigs by myself as DH doesn't like crowds (or half of the bands I like), if I said I wanted to go to a festival he wouldn't bat an eyelid, nor would I if he said he wanted to go off to watch snooker or go walking or something for a weekend. We do not have 100% overlapping interests and we don't feel the need to live in each other's pockets.

This sounds like a bigger issue though. Why on earth shouldn't he take his kids out, or look after them for the weekend - they're his as much as they are yours.

cece Sat 11-May-13 23:32:15

I have a weekend away booked for July. Can't wait.

I did mention it to DH before it was booked but tbh I didn't ask his permission.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 11-May-13 23:38:11

I will probably go. Maybe my problem is expecting him to be happy about it.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 11-May-13 23:38:48

But I may tell him if he's determined to be unhappy about it, I won't bother taking the kid (unless said kid is deeply disappointed at this change).

McGeeDiNozzo Sun 12-May-13 04:49:51

I've been to two festivals alone because I was on the bill at both of them at short notice. The first time, I talked to no-one and hated it. The second time, I found some people I could be matey with, and it was better.

ravenAK Sun 12-May-13 05:47:12

Say 'fuck it' and GO, woman!

I went to DV8 in York on my own a couple of years ago. It's a goth festival, & dh's band were playing the opening night.

I fancied making a weekend of it, dh wasn't particularly bothered, & both of us attending all weekend would have meant sorting childcare - so I booked a single room & had a great weekend.

I don't think kids at festivals is at all a bad thing (we're doing Saturday at Download this year, taking at least the eldest if not all three), but it sounds like you need to assert yourself a little - enjoy your festival, child-free. It'll be good for dh to have to man up a bit back at the ranch.

NicholasTeakozy Sun 12-May-13 10:30:40

Bloody hell! Get tickets booked for you and DS1 and tell your H he can just suck it up.

seeker Sun 12-May-13 10:48:58

Go alone. That's what you want to do. Do it.

Numberlock Sun 12-May-13 11:14:06

... and when you get back, tackle the rest of his crap behaviour.

Dilidali Sun 12-May-13 11:15:03

Hehe... Woke up this morning with this mad heap of unruly hair next to my face saying: mummy, where can I do crowd surfing? Lol.
I would absolutely go, a chance to wear my 'god hates us all' t-shirt, hihi, mind, we both love this kind of stuff, but what would be even more exciting is taking my DD! So yes, do go, taking son would be a bonus smile.
Go, go, go!

Numberlock Sun 12-May-13 11:28:11

That's not the point though is it, she wants some child-free time which her husband is doing his best to prevent.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 12-May-13 14:30:22

Well, he sent me a text saying "Have fun and don't catch Anthrax." (har har!) So, I've worn him down.

Still not decided on taking DS or not. I kinda don't want to because I'd like to drink irresponsibly. (Not really. I just mean drinking more than one should if responsible for a child.)

Glittertwins Sun 12-May-13 16:29:26

I would not take a child with you. Let your hair down and enjoy it without wondering if he is okay/bored/tired/need the loo!!

Numberlock Sun 12-May-13 22:49:08

You wouldn't even be considering taking a child if he'd not put the idea in your head.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sun 12-May-13 23:08:34

True!

Unfortunately, I've already asked the kid if he would be interested. So, he might be unhappy at a change in plans, although I could probably buy him off with a promise of a camping/fishing trip another weekend.

Go!

And Slayer are awesome live, just make sure you are well away from the pits, the last time I seen them I ended up in A+E and the whole A+E was full of people from the gig!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now