Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To return an unworn, still labelled dress then re-buy at the new almost half sale price?

(36 Posts)
Machli Thu 09-May-13 20:56:02

Went in today and the dress I brought for a party has £20 off now. It's slightly too small so was going to return and exchange anyway but now I think I should return it and then re-buy at the new cheaper price in the next size up. Would you?

Corygal Thu 09-May-13 22:34:11

YANBU. The only place you can't rebuy is in M&S, the meanies. Mind you, I hope you wouldn't have bought a top from there....

Machli Thu 09-May-13 22:35:07

grin no. It's Uniqlo.

Christelle2207 Thu 09-May-13 22:40:52

I've done this!

Lj8893 Thu 09-May-13 22:44:08

The staff shouldn't care, they may say they shouldn't do it but will do it for you out of goodwill (that's what I always say to my customers!) but if they have been trained well with good customer service standards (which a large chain store like uniqlo is) they should do it for you not a problem.

I would be extremely surprised if any reputable store didn't give a refund at the price you paid assuming you had a receipt and were within the refund period!

StuntGirl Fri 10-May-13 00:27:39

Depends on the store's returns policy but given it is unworn, with the tags and with receipt I would imagine it will be perfectly fine. I wouldn't even bother with any lying or faffing or pretending. Go in, refund, and buy the next size up at the current price.

Someone did this in my shop one, came in absolutely furious that a product they had bought the day before was now half price and why hadn't they been informed? I politely told him we don't receive price changes until the morning so nobody knew the price was going to change when he bought it the day before. He was still furious and asked with the most attitude and contempt I've ever seen anyone post-teenage years muster; "Well, what if I wanted to return this and buy it at that price then?" To which I replied, "Well you'd be able to of course." It was such a non-issue from our end but he'd worked himself up into the most almighty frothy rage! He remained unnecessarily furious during the entire transaction grin

somedayma Fri 10-May-13 00:30:37

Where I work, returns have to be 'kept behind the till' for 24 hours. Not actually kept behind the till, we put them back out. But the policy is to stop this happening. You're buying a different size though so I guess you'd get away with it

Thumbwitch Fri 10-May-13 00:37:43

Stuntgirl - he was probably enraged that the fight he was looking to have had been stymied at the outset! You probably ruined his day... grin

garlicyoni Fri 10-May-13 00:48:31

Gosh, I've never thought of doing this! No wonder I'm broke shock

Giving full-price Christmas gifts and promptly returning them when the sale starts is nothing short of evil genius.

StuntGirl Fri 10-May-13 00:50:27

I think so thumbwitch!

IrritatingInfinity Fri 10-May-13 01:00:09

YANBU

As long as their store policy allows returns. (Which all of the main shops do) I guess you have the receipt smile

IrritatingInfinity Fri 10-May-13 01:03:22

Personally I would take the item back. Then wander around the store for 5 mins and then purchase the reduced item. You could use a different till if you wanted but I wouldn't bother

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now