AIBU to think that at 35 I am too young for tena lady's

(38 Posts)
BoysRule Thu 09-May-13 20:17:58

OK, I have had two children (youngest is 11 months so fairly recent). No, I didn't do as many pelvic floor exercises as I could have done (does anyone really do these?). But today I was doing a class at the gym and I couldn't do jumping jacks because I had no control over my bladder. I am seriously thinking of wearing a tena lady to the class next week.

This must be unreasonable? Do I need an operation? I am mostly fine when not exercising (bar a few minor sneezing/coughing/trampolining incidents). Aren't tena ladys for old women?

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 11-May-13 22:01:49

Pregnancy on its own can definitely have a serious effect. I did a refresher NCT recently and the teacher got us to hold an outstretched sheet with bottles, sacks of stuff etc to represent the avg 2 stone extra weight involved in pregnancy - most of which is borne by the pelvic floor. It was damn heavy and that was being carried between 5 of us...

AllOverIt Sat 11-May-13 21:43:53

I have this problem. Going to have surgery for a TVT when I've finally decided to stop having children! I'm 35. Two pregnancies, one forceps delivery and the second with a 3rd degree tear. Urgh. I think I might be done...

TattyDevine Sat 11-May-13 21:31:28

Haha Riots

Adds new weight to the phrase "I think you need to unclench"...lol

RiotsNotDiets Sat 11-May-13 21:26:42

Tatty someone's nn on here is something like 'PelvicFloorExerciseReminder' which if I see then I spend the rest of the day chortling and clenching.

PoppyWearer Sat 11-May-13 21:23:29

YABU to use Tena Lady when the Always Envive pads are so much better!

See a physio. I did and am no longer using the pads!

TattyDevine Sat 11-May-13 21:20:20

Am I the only person who is doing pelvic floor exercises whilst reading this thread? Lol

<<and unclench>>

RiotsNotDiets Sat 11-May-13 21:12:39

Highly recommend these

blush

kaumana Sat 11-May-13 21:09:17

Some of my friends would not come with me to high impact classes at the gym for fear of wetting themselves so instead went to core/ab classes a couple of times per week. Low and behold a couple of months later they are jumping around like loons at Body Attack etc

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 11-May-13 19:18:42

http://www.pelvictoner.co.uk/?gclid=COLF99PUjrcCFWfItAodfSUA2A

This pelvic floor gadget is available on prescription

lavendersgreen Sat 11-May-13 19:15:24

I second doing the 30 Day Shred. Weak pelvic floor issues were the reason I started exercising at home....by the time day 30 rolled round I was not weeing at all.

It's been a very welcome and unexpected side effect of 30DS smile

I've heard good things about that pelvic toner thing and you can get it from your GP.

Some things your body doesn't give a hoot what age you are, opposite from you I am 22 and have to use a urinary catheter 5 times a day. hmm Get the tena and start really doing the pelvic floor exercise, with any luck it will be a temporary measure.

WorraLiberty Sat 11-May-13 17:51:51

Being overweight can cause incontinence too

My friend lost 2st 6lbs and no longer needs a tena lady.

notapizzaeater Sat 11-May-13 17:44:21

I joined a trampolining class - I was sooooo pleased I ad black leggings on. Next week I had a nice tena lady pad. Not before pouring 2 pints of water on one in the kitchen to reassure myself they would work.

BoysRule Sat 11-May-13 17:40:59

I read that people who have c sections also have to do pelvic floor exercises - I think it is pregnancy rather than child birth. I had two big boys and I carried a lot of extra water - I was huge!

EverythibgisonmyMurtaughlist Fri 10-May-13 18:41:01

I'm only 33 and when going to the gym need to make sure I pack a tena lady otherwise it would be a bit embarrassing blush I am getting physio after a big baby and forceps and it is getting better but I can't risk big jumps and kicks without one. It's not forever and I am confident that with continued effort on my part and the kegal machine I'll be high impact class safe soon. Although I fear my days of jumping on trampolines may be behind me grin

NeedlesCuties Fri 10-May-13 17:14:18

I need these too, though not all the time... Sometimes if I've been holding on and on before I go for a pee I notice that some leaks out sad

I had 2 biggish babies vaginally, but I have a friend who had hers by c-section. She also has the same dodgy pelvic floor issues.

Can someone please tell me if it's pregnancy that wrecks pelvic floor or just childbirth?? I was always baffled when my friend told me she had the same issue!

Ffuntimewincies Fri 10-May-13 11:42:08

I have a prolapsed bladder (thanks ds1) which, obviously, cannot be corrected without surgery BUT pilates has been a huge help in terms of bladder control. I did pelvic floor exercises all the way through pregnancy but not correctly. Now I know which muscles to work.

I always wear a Tena to classes though, belt and braces wink.

maddening Fri 10-May-13 11:30:05

From - ds was 9lb7oz -.feel your pain smile def try the exercises - I def recommend the machine.

maddening Fri 10-May-13 11:26:58

Ps there are cones and inserts foe exercises too and an insert that you can wear all day that works the pf all day.

maddening Fri 10-May-13 11:25:49

I did my pf exercises but a back to back labour left me with 2 hernias and a slight bladder prolapse - I have got a kegel8 machine now and think it is making a difference - am/have been restricted with exercise due to hernia (currently healing post op).

Anyway - the machine has settings for prolapse as well as just weak pf so am sure it isn't too late.

BoysRule Fri 10-May-13 09:19:58

I did the 30 day shred and it wasn't that bad then - it seems to have got worse.

It is horrid - makes me nervous of light coloured summer trousers blush

Pilates is a good idea and I am going to do the pelvic floor exercises as I kind of thought it was too late but obviously not. My SIL had the op but I am hoping I don't need that. Meanwhile I will buy some tenas for exercise classes shock

It's horrid isn't it, bloody children smile

I was the same and no amount of pelvic floor exercises were helping me.
The change only came recently when I started working out using DVDs at home, now my core is stronger I no longer need to cross my legs every time I cough/sneeze/laugh.
I think you have to do a mixture of PFE and core training to get good results.

kaumana Fri 10-May-13 08:39:53

Start going to Pilates classes. The core and pelvic exercise done in the class will really help. Kegels only concentrate on one set of muscles you need to work the surrounding muscles as well.

If you do a search on the forums there are a few threads on this topic which will give you some ideas.

fromparistoberlin Fri 10-May-13 08:31:11

I wear tena every fucking day

I blame DS2, he was 9.5lb

its not age related, its pelvic floor related

I think gaxillions of women have this issue in secret
and YY, need to do more pelciv floors!

bettycocker Fri 10-May-13 02:41:59

Jumping jacks helped my pelvic floor issue.

I started to do the 30 Day Shred DVD by Jillian Michaels at home. At first, a little bit of wee would come out when I was jumping about.

I carried on and clenched as hard as I could. These days, I don't even have to worry about it, and wonder why this isn't commonly known. There is nothing on the internet about how jumping jacks can help your pelvic floor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now