To smile at people when I'm out walking?

(58 Posts)
TwitchyTail Thu 09-May-13 19:10:08

I've recently had a baby so after years of driving everywhere, I've started using my legs again and going for walks with said sprog. I think it's polite to briefly smile at, or otherwise acknowledge the existence of, another person if I pass them on a path when no-one else is around.

DH thinks this is intrusive, unnecessary, and a bit creepy.

Who is right?

We aren't in London, and I don't look like I'm about to assault anyone, if that makes any difference.

ArlingtonStringham Thu 09-May-13 19:10:53

Where I come from it's the norm, not creepy at all!

YANBU. I dont find a creepy. I have a man who walks his dog near me who smiles and says hi if I'm out having a cig or in a local shop. Doesn't creep me out

throckenholt Thu 09-May-13 19:12:12

um - I think it is called being human smile A smile won't do any harm - and if you see them regularly it would be very odd not at acknowledge them.

XBenedict Thu 09-May-13 19:12:23

I'm always smiling and chatting to people, you carry on. If only the world had more people that smiled smile. Congratulations on your baby btw

Shutupanddrive Thu 09-May-13 19:12:38

YANBU

fluckered Thu 09-May-13 19:12:38

if i caught their eye or vice versa i would say hello but wouldnt be smiling like a mad woman either! but its nice to be nice.

DublinMammy Thu 09-May-13 19:12:39

Totally normal here in Ireland, some days they are the only adult interactions I have..... To not smile/nod/comment on the weather would be considered rude.

BackforGood Thu 09-May-13 19:12:41

Very normal to smile, nod, or pass the time of day with people whenever I am out and about.

SirBoobAlot Thu 09-May-13 19:13:53

I don't care if it creeps people out. I smile at everyone I make eye contact with. On a good day... wink

Keep smiling at people. It might make someone's day smile

I smile or nod when walking along if i catch someones eye, i engage in conversation when someone wants to chat about ds/my big fat bump smile

I'm usually pretty anti-social but i try to be friendly in my area at least grin

ryanboy Thu 09-May-13 19:15:55

In a village you say hello to everyone you pass.In a town it is regarded as pretty weird unless the person is old.

redexpat Thu 09-May-13 19:16:46

It's the norm here, along iwht a chirpy 'morning'. I did it once in greater London (temporarily forgot where I was) and got some odd stares and ONE 'good morning' back.

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 09-May-13 19:17:11

I live in a tiny village, so I know everbody and always stop and chat, it's normal.
We also have a youth hostel and a camp site, so say hello to all the visitors too.

Facebaffle Thu 09-May-13 19:18:06

It's not the done thing here.

I smile at other joggers when I'm out running and smile at other walkers when we're out in the countryside but never at anyone in the street.

I don't know where these "rules" came from smile

rambososcar Thu 09-May-13 19:22:17

Do it. It scares the crap out of people. grin

A smile, a nod, a "good morning/afternoon" is the done thing here but the closer to the city you get the more horrified your response will be!

crypes Thu 09-May-13 19:23:13

No it's not the done thing where I live either, I smile or say good morning and I have noticed how many miseries just blank me, but to be honest some look like they have the world and it's problems on their shoulders.

I'm always saying hello/good morning to people and I'm not weird, intrusive, or creepy, I'm just friendly and hate the idea that we should pretend everyone we pass is invisible.

littlewhitebag Thu 09-May-13 19:25:17

I do this when out walking my dog. Sometimes i even stop and chat with people if they want to pat the dog. It is a nice thing to do.

bigTillyMint Thu 09-May-13 19:26:28

I live I London and smile at everyone on my way to work. Most smile back and some actually speak to megrin

rainbowslollipops Thu 09-May-13 19:37:07

I think it's nice and polite which is something people lack here. A smile might brighten someone's day. And I'm pretty sure it stops you from looking like a gormless zombie when you're shattered.

Very normal. I always smile at complete strangers and make random comments like "lovely day". Some people, usually those over 70, often say how lovely it is to see someone so cheerful. smile

IsaacCox Thu 09-May-13 19:41:36

I always say good morning/afternoon/evening and smile whenever I pass people in the village, as do they. YANBU.

TwitchyTail Thu 09-May-13 19:42:31

Thanks for replies everyone! I shall carry on smiling in a very determined fashion, and tell DH he can gaze off into the middle distance if he so chooses grin

andubelievedthat Thu 09-May-13 19:54:09

I'm in ! ,always do same,keep on smiling /chating ,make this world more friendly/fun/human>down with the bum face brigade!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now