for not wanting to drive 300 miles for a 2yo's birthday party?

(31 Posts)
OTheHugeManatee Thu 09-May-13 16:15:04

I'm sure I am being a miserable old cowbag here, so feel free to tell me so grin

BIL (DH's brother) and SIL are celebrating their PFB's 2nd birthday party with an invitation to all the family to come and celebrate. My problem is that while most of their family is relatively local, we live about 300 miles away. I can think of SO many things I'd rather do with a weekend than a 600-mile round trip for a toddler's birthday party.

AIBU?

Are they expecting you to come or have they done what I do I always invite BIL & SIL but don't expect them to come unless they are down visiting.

But I don't want to think that because they are not local then we don't include them if that makes sense.

OTheHugeManatee Thu 09-May-13 19:12:33

I'm not being a drama llama. I'm being a grumpy cow grin

I just checked my diary and I have a course weekend I can't get out of on that date, so DH will prolly go on his own. Everybody wins grin

ShadowStorm Thu 09-May-13 19:29:25

YANBU to not want to go just for a party. I'd be wanting to make a seeing the family weekend out of it if I was in that situation.

But, as others have said, they may not really be expecting you to attend. They may be only inviting you so that you don't feel left out and upset about not being invited.

gillywillywoo Thu 09-May-13 19:37:30

YANBU

DH and I live about 4 hours drive away from my family and its not easy! People don't seem to realise how much it costs in petrol etc.
We try to visit at least once a month though.

His family are worse than mine though... They live over an hour away and NEVER come to see us but expect us to visit them all the time.

Heebiejeebie Thu 09-May-13 19:44:06

FThey have given you the option to go. If you don't want to, then say no politely. Maybe you have a reputation for getting in a huff with minimal provocation and didn't dare not invite you for fear of appearing on AIBU.

OTheHugeManatee Thu 09-May-13 21:19:51

grin at heebiejeebie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now