AIBU that work should stop ignoring my request

(14 Posts)
bongobaby Thu 09-May-13 13:08:01

I have worked for this company for ten months and recently was off sick with an injury for about five weeks. I gave in all Doctors notes on time and followed procedure and thought that I would be getting SSP. Anyways last week I got a wage slip with only £100 on it for the month, so I made a call plus an email asking why this was and how much SSP was paid. This was 4 days ago and still no come back from work. I am still expected to fulfill my petrol costs in mileage from that wage now that I am back at work and I am getting to the stage to tell work to not give me any work until they get back to me. It feels as though they are ignoring my question?

redskyatnight Thu 09-May-13 13:15:08

Well if you made a call, what did the person on the other end say?
4 days doesn’t sounds that terribly long to sort it out tbh.

I personally would ring up again, explain that you previously sent an email and ask when you can expect it to be resolved.
I know my last company’s payroll only ran once a week, so even if they found mistakes you still had to wait for the normal payroll round for the money to come through.

squeakytoy Thu 09-May-13 13:24:06

did your payslip not say how much ssp was paid?

EasilyBored Thu 09-May-13 13:27:55

If you go here It gives info on what you have to do to qualify for SSP. It's £88.60 a week so only £100 on your payslip doesn't seem right. You might need to check your contract though as I'm not sure how SSP relates to things like zero-hours contracts?

livinginwonderland Thu 09-May-13 13:29:15

my DP had this problem after he was signed off with gastroenteritis for a week. he was £300+ down on his paycheque last month and they still haven't sorted it out -_-

keep badgering HR and tell them you need to know how much you're owed because you have bills etc. to pay.

jacks365 Thu 09-May-13 13:32:07

Can i ask the nature of your work than you can request them not to give you any more till its sorted? That may have a bearing on why you haven't got ssp.

SarahBumBarer Thu 09-May-13 13:45:41

Are you in the UK? Was your HR not on Bank Holiday on Monday?

bongobaby Thu 09-May-13 14:15:06

Health and social care with a nought contract hours. Should still be able to get SSP I thought?

jacks365 Thu 09-May-13 14:22:57

Depends on the hours and your wages prior to your sickness. The fact you only have a zero hours contract isn't an issue but if your wages have been below the minimum threshold you wouldn't qualify. If i remember correctly its the average over the previous 3 months that counts. ( exp was in the same position)

EasilyBored Thu 09-May-13 14:25:02

Yep, you have to earn at least £109 a week (before tax) to be eligible for SSP.

greenformica Thu 09-May-13 14:36:06

Ring every other day till you get results?

bongobaby Thu 09-May-13 15:00:16

My average take home pay is over the £109 figure per week just about.I don,t have a signed contract, Could it be because of that? It,s just that they should have got back to me by now

cumfy Thu 09-May-13 15:08:30

It's only been a couple of days since Tues, hope it gets sorted out.

Perhaps, they've only paid you for the self-cert part and will make another payment ?

jacks365 Thu 09-May-13 15:12:48

No not having a signed contact means nothing. I've double checked and its at least £109 a week for 8 weeks so check your wage slips to see if you do qualify. I will state its not clear if the £109 is the minimum every week or the average.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now