Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that this is really inconsiderate?

(133 Posts)
SweetSeraphim Wed 08-May-13 21:48:48

Neighbour one, I'm afraid.... hmm grin

So - next door have 3 boys, aged about 7, 5 and 2 ish... They're ok neighbours, we don't chat much or anything but we're polite.

We both work full time, have 4 dc between us, 7, 8, 12 & 15, and we try and get a bit of a lie in on a weekend if we can, I get up at 6 every weekday, and if we're lucky, we get to lie in until about half 8 at the weekend, it's glorious.

However.... as soon as the weather gets warmer, next door neighbours let the dc out to play in the back garden between 7 and half past. They're really noisy and have loads of really loud toys, electric ride-along stuff, you know. I had forgotten this happened last year, and it pissed me off then - I remembered with clarity this weekend hmm

So what do I do? Do I put a note through the door like a yellow bellied coward? Or do I knock and ask them to be a bit more considerate? Will they look at me like this? hmm AIBU?

MagicHouse Fri 10-May-13 11:36:49

YANBU - I wouldn't let mine in the garden before about half 8/ 9. I think it's inconsiderate to allow them out to shriek and play with noisy toys at 7. Like you say, lots of people work hard during the week and need to recharge at the weekend.

Of course no-one has a "right" to a lie in - but it's just polite and considerate to realise that your neighbours would probably really appreciate one. It won't harm children to miss just an hour or two of a sunny morning if they can't/ won't keep the noise down once they're outside. (Ie like most young children I would think!!!)

Selba Fri 10-May-13 12:31:12

its inconsiderate in exactly the same way as letting your kids run around screetching late at night

AaDB Fri 10-May-13 12:33:27

Freddie I'm shocked that parents would allow their los to play our and burger people so early. I would definitely say to the children 'please don't knock on the door before midday' (or ever). I would go straight over at stupid o' clock and ask their parents not to let them come over and how much it disturbs you. I wouldn't be surprised if you get them out of bed.

freddiefrog Fri 10-May-13 12:59:15

AaDB - she just let's them out to play and doesn't really take any notice of what they're doing. I've spoken to her several times about it, but she seems to think we are suffering from some sort of moral failure because we're not up and at it at 5am. Early bird catches the worm and all that.

I might go and knock on her door loudly and repeatedly at 10:30pm and get her out of bed

They actually live a little way round our close so if they stayed outside their own house they'd only annoy their own parents, but they ride bikes up and down the road shrieking

AaDB Fri 10-May-13 13:09:05

Damn my phone bother NOT burger.

Since having my ds I now wake at 6:30am no matter what. Now he had reset my body clock the little beggar sleeps in until 10:30am.

if they aren't going to listen about allowing the children out too early, I would take them home and knock on their dope. Especially if they bothered you at 7am.

I'm a heavy sleeper and that noise wouldn't wake me up. DH is a light sleeper and gets up before 6am every day and only manages to sleep about 5/6 hours a night. The weekend sleep in is when he catches up.

SweetSeraphim Fri 10-May-13 13:40:08

LOL at whoever said I'm lying in bed all day... We have 4dc between us! No chance of that. All I'm asking for is a bit of consideration for others. Sounds a bit much for some people to cope with! Not most of you, thankfully!

differentnameforthis Fri 10-May-13 14:35:15

When you live in a country where it can get to 38 degrees by 9am, you tend to let your kids play out in the garden at around 7ish, if they are up. Once the heat hits, they can be inside all day & getting some fresh air is close to impossible.

granted, I don't let them scream & yell, but they need fresh air & it isn't like they can be outside in 40 odd degree heat at 12pm!

chillynose Fri 10-May-13 14:49:17

It is great for kids to play outside in there garden smile

That is too early
Kids should be supervised
Kids should be a reasonable volume
Mine r loud when in garden i ssshhh at them if i feel they r going to interupt others
I know they r children and should have fun
When in garden should respect beighbours

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now