Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that this is really inconsiderate?

(133 Posts)
SweetSeraphim Wed 08-May-13 21:48:48

Neighbour one, I'm afraid.... hmm grin

So - next door have 3 boys, aged about 7, 5 and 2 ish... They're ok neighbours, we don't chat much or anything but we're polite.

We both work full time, have 4 dc between us, 7, 8, 12 & 15, and we try and get a bit of a lie in on a weekend if we can, I get up at 6 every weekday, and if we're lucky, we get to lie in until about half 8 at the weekend, it's glorious.

However.... as soon as the weather gets warmer, next door neighbours let the dc out to play in the back garden between 7 and half past. They're really noisy and have loads of really loud toys, electric ride-along stuff, you know. I had forgotten this happened last year, and it pissed me off then - I remembered with clarity this weekend hmm

So what do I do? Do I put a note through the door like a yellow bellied coward? Or do I knock and ask them to be a bit more considerate? Will they look at me like this? hmm AIBU?

larks35 Wed 08-May-13 22:15:33

I don't think YWBU to ask if they keep them indoors til 8.30-9 at the weekend. I never let DS 4yo out before that at the weekend and he isn't that noisy. The thing is he is more noisy inside and as we live in a terrace I'm sure the neighbours wouldn't mind if he was outside, they might actually prefer it seeing as the biggest bedroom is at the front of the house in our block!

AmberLeaf Wed 08-May-13 22:16:54

Way too early.

gordyslovesheep Wed 08-May-13 22:20:09

yanbu - I have 3 kids 5,9 and 11 and I wouldn;t let them out to run riot in the garden at that time of a weekend - 9am onwards is reasonable - maybe even 10am on Sunday!

SweetSeraphim Wed 08-May-13 22:22:13

Oooh, a mixed bag!

Right. I wouldn't dream of letting my lot out at that time in the morning, it's basic courtesy imo, people want and deserve a lie in sometimes, and I wouldn't want to be ruining it for them.

I do realise that they could be a lot worse... but we have a tendency to judge people according to our own standards, don't we? And because I think it's inconsiderate, I think they ABU. Iyswim.

Roshbegosh - last year it was every Sat/Sun and bank holiday. Which I had forgotten until I was woken every single morning over the long weekend.

I'm really surprised that people think it's reasonable to let your really noisy kids out to disturb everyone else's peace at 7am! I've got no problems even after 8, but 7??? Selfish. I think they send them out to get a bit of peace themselves, if I'm honest.

SweetSeraphim Wed 08-May-13 22:24:48

Those of you that suggested that I send mine out too - the 2 boys like messing about indoors in pyjamas at that time at the weekend - plus they don't get up until about 8, they also have to get up stupidly early during the week.

As for the 2 teenage girls... I have to crowbar them out of bed at the weekends!

Cherriesarelovely Wed 08-May-13 22:25:42

Yanbu, I am all for being outdoors and am often out with my dog at that time but I wouldn't allow her to bark incessantly at that hour (well at any hour!) or allow my Dd to be out screaming and making lots of noise. It's very inconsiderate.

PlasticLentilWeaver Wed 08-May-13 22:26:37

redwelly I had the same thought re kicking them out so they can sleep.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 08-May-13 22:27:34

Also annoying everyone else isn't the answer. It won't only be those neighbours that hear your noisy kids.

5madthings Wed 08-May-13 22:27:34

I am with you op, I won't let the madthings out that early in the morning, its not considerate to neighbors.

TidyDancer Wed 08-May-13 22:32:10

This would bother me, so I think yanbu.

My two DCs wouldn't be outside before 9, 8:30 at a push. No earlier though.

ohnosnow Wed 08-May-13 22:37:42

My neighbour came round on monday and asked if I would mind keeping my toddler in at weekends as he woke her new boyfriend yesterday morning. (It was 8.45 when we went out to put the washing out and my toddler was chatting to me)

I smiled sweetly through gritted teeth and said of course I will but could you not mow your lawn or cut your hedge at 7.30 pm as toddler is trying to sleep then.

BuggedByJake Wed 08-May-13 22:38:06

Yanbu. Mine are up from 6ish but don't go out till 9 & even at that time I'm concerned they might be waking the neighbours.

thecakeisalie Wed 08-May-13 22:45:42

Were detached and only have 2 neighbours and yet I don't let our boys (2 & 3.5yrs old) go out in the garden until 9am all week. I just figure its considerate in case neighbours are in bed still. To be fair its unusual for them to be out of their jammies before 9am anyway - I'm not a morning person!

So I would say yanbu but I don't have any suggestions on how to deal with it!

musicmadness Wed 08-May-13 22:46:55

YANBU, ask them if .they will keep it down until 8 at least, preferably later. I hate mornings with a passion, I much prefer evening/sunset and if someone was continuously waking me up I wouldn't be making an effort to keep the noise down at night (I know that's childish but oh well).

9am here too.

SweetSeraphim Wed 08-May-13 22:55:37

It's just hard to know how to deal with it. I'm a pretty forthright person, but I don't know how they would view that. I'm pretty sure it would piss them off.

I'm certainly not listening to it all summer long though! Something will have to be done... I was thinking about putting a note through the door under the cover of darkness saying it was from one of the houses at the back blush

Ahhhcrap Wed 08-May-13 22:55:40

I don't think yabu especially at 7 am on weekends. I wouldn't let my dd make a noise outside until about 9 ish.

Might just be worth saying something over the fence next time you see them. I don't think it's rude or unreasonable to ask if they could keep the noise down until about 9am

I think it is inconsiderate - I am not very tolerant of noise tho.

When my boys were younger they were always up by 6.30 but we were rarely ever washed , dressed and breakfasted and ready to be outside before 8.30/9am at the weekend - what are these people doing?

I should qualify this by saying I live in Scotland so it is rarely warm enough to be out at 7.30am and those days that are are unlikely to land at a weekend due to sod's law.

Tolerance and consideration go hand in hand - I expect my older children to be quiet if they are outside in the early evening when I know that neighbours will be putting their younger children to bed and I expect not to be woken at the crack of dawn by their little ones being outside.

I once spoke to a neighbour about hoovering her car before 9am on a weekend morning - ffs who needs to have their car hoovered at that time of a weekend?!? She didn't work, she had all week to hoover her car - we all work so appreciate being able to lie a little longer at a weekend.

You are not being unreasonable.

I only once let my kids out to play early on the morning - this was in a previous house where the neighbour had one party too many and kept us awake until the early hours so it was a bit of revenge.

Selba Wed 08-May-13 23:17:26

Th neighbour is incredibly inconsiderate

Scruffey Wed 08-May-13 23:32:58

I don't let my kids in garden until 9.30am on a Sunday. I don't want to piss off the neighbours.

SweetSeraphim Wed 08-May-13 23:38:15

Exactly Scruffey! You want to be considerate and not piss them off! Why do some people not seem to understand that? confused

You want to be considerate and not piss them off! Why do some people not seem to understand that?

Because the world is full of wankers.

People who do this range from the "lazy and can't be arsed with them so kick them out in the garden" variety - to the "my children are so delightful and everyone would love to have them singing so beautifully and playing so delightfully and expressing themselves at fuck knows what o'clock in the morning (and anyone who disagrees clearly is not as tolerant and lovely as me)"

LandOfCross Wed 08-May-13 23:49:32

8am is the absolute earliest.
Next time you put see them I would just say breezily "is there any chance you can.keep the boys in until 8 on the weekends as we like to lie in."
Then smile.

Someone is bound to see you put the note in the letterbox.

.....or, get the water pistols out and shoot the noisy little feckers, if anyone complains, just say "it was a lovely morning, the kids were out playing and so I thought I would join in - why, is 7.30am too early for a water fight?"

NannyPlumIsMyMum Wed 08-May-13 23:58:38

Definetly knock and have a polite word.
We have this problem too - and we do tell them politely , we still manage to pass the time of day with them and things are still very civil.
I think if i felt i couldnt be honest with them then i would spontaneously combust with anger. For us being honest with them has kept the lines of communication open.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now