Daily Mail reading, middle-class centre-right winger?

(92 Posts)
rufussmum Wed 08-May-13 19:40:42

Just asking...
not me though (adds hastily).

Chipstick10 Thu 09-May-13 21:06:33

What a horribly patronising thread. What on earth do you lot sound like, shaking your heads at the silly illiterate fools who read the mail or the sun, from your right on, superior, guardian reading right on bubble. Snearing at mother in laws and father in laws, and sniggering at half wit students who can just about understand the simple text in the sun.

Rufus43 Thu 09-May-13 21:27:37

I have never understood how people can work out what type of person I am, what I believe and how I live my life based on the fact that I spend 20 minutes a few times a week reading a certain paper.

They have never met me but know exactly what I am like! Jolly clever if you ask me! And not generalising at all!

Arisbottle Thu 09-May-13 21:38:00

Ourvye you are talking nonsense, lots of people read lots of papers . Do I suddenly becoming thick when input down the Telegraph or Guardian and pick up the Mail.

Smudging Thu 09-May-13 22:29:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PatPig Thu 09-May-13 23:03:06

People who are rude about DM readers are narrow-minded cunts IME.
DM readers often are too, but they aren't so smug about it.

FanjoForTheMammaries Thu 09-May-13 23:19:50

As opposed to those who call others cunts.

Who are really polite

DolomitesDonkey Fri 10-May-13 05:37:01

Horry Again, you seem to misunderstand general demographics. Most people are not disadvantaged - hence, the popularity of media designed for the "non-disadvantaged".

AViewFromTheFridge Fri 10-May-13 06:38:25

sniggering at half wit students who can just about understand the simple text in the sun.

Chipstick, you clearly didn't actually read that post properly nor, it seems, do you understand the concept of differentiation and using accessible texts in the classroom.

Purple2012 Fri 10-May-13 07:00:08

I love that so many people on here slate the DM yet there's an awful lot of links to it on an almost daily basis.

I read it, not every day but sometimes on a weekend. They have some great stories.

I am not a bigot. I don't think all people on benefits are scroungers. I don't think that 'all foreigners should go back home'

I'm an intelligent adult that isn't swayed by articles in a newspaper and I can make my own mind up on any issue.

Donkey you missed my point.

I believe that knowing disadvantaged people personally makes many of the articles in the DM unpalatable reading. Because you read an article about say Universal Credit and apply that to an actual human being, rather than a straw man. It changes your view from the general to the particular.

I don't read the Guardian either. I see through that shit too grin

fromparistoberlin Fri 10-May-13 08:33:10

I am addicted to DM online, and I HATE MYSELF FOR IT

it basically has an obsession with

peados
children dying horribly (this is their forte)
Kim Kardashian

I think I could do mastermind on the above 3 topics, its so fucking sad

rufussmum Fri 10-May-13 09:42:41

Ourvye - you really shouldn't generalise so much. Name-calling groups of people who don't think like you is so Daily Mail.

As a former newspaper sub-editor, I believe people buy the newspaper that most represents their own views. So, if 2million people are interested in the Kardashians' cellulite as opposed to the EU debate, that's what the paper will print. They have to sell copies to survive.

Also, the Sun is a fabulous product, even if you don't agree with its politics. It manages to sum up major stories in brilliant headlines, using short words and huge font sizes. Some of their front pages are classic - published in book form now. Bigger papers have more space and more words to get their point across.

Readers buy what they agree with, they're not morons who are easily swayed by what they read.

Purple2012 Fri 10-May-13 11:37:06

But readers don't buy what they agree with as I have already mentioned.

I buy it for my own reasons. The historical stories at the weekends are something I find interesting. I can skip reading the stuff I don't believe in.

fromparistoberlin Fri 10-May-13 12:12:39

rufuss

well said

It makes me cringe when people say "apologies for the DM link" on here

so they read it all the fucking time, then post links, then apologise. why? Its a website FFS.

so fucking what, reading DM online does not mean you hate immigrants! Its just means you are bored and want to read some mindless shite

I like to get outraged by DM online! amuses me, Romanian immigrant watch I call it

IamMrsElf Fri 10-May-13 14:18:55

Just to be clear - I don't read any newspapers and tend to avoid the news in general - apart from Have I Got News For You and Russell Howard's Good News and other such news based comedy shows - that way I get it all with a few laughs.

I don't judge any one for the paper they read - how could I? It's as silly as judging someone for the supermarket they shop in or the car they drive. Besides, I am usually drifting around in a sleep deprived haze just trying to get through the day, too concerned with whether I've accidentally tucked my skirt into my knickers or whether DS2 is kicking DS1 and avoiding causing a scene, to bother judging anyone else for anything.

Sorry if my post regarding giving newspapers to teenage school children seemed condescending or patronising - I was merely pointing out that the paper is quite controversial and thus makes a good platform for debate and the language is delicious - fabulous headlines begging to be analysed.

OhLori Fri 10-May-13 15:25:49

The Daily Mail is well-written.

Sometimes it has interesting and off-beat articles (Camila Paglia of all people recently) but its gone downhill in past months, and I buy the 20p Independent now instead!

Sometimes I read the Guardian, but it feels like a mild sedative. Ironically I think they live in a liberal ivory tower that has nothing to do with the real world. Therefore, do they actually have anything to say (genuine question)?

I think the Sun is badly written myself, I think its a myth from the past that it is well-written.

But I wouldn't judge a person by what they read, no, tempting as it may be sometimes ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now