to ask if you are judgey about pushchairs?

(348 Posts)

I need to vent. Why does it seem the world and his wife has an opinion on your flippin buggy!!
I am looking to buy (from Gps as a present) 7 month old Dd a new buggy. I love the bugaboos but i just dont think i can afford a decent one so ive been looking at different styles for her.
No matter what i pick it seems to come under fire. So i thought sod it, im going with what WE like!!

WE like a Quinny Buzz 3, in black for £100. I think unpon research this is good?
Now ive just heard i will look chavvy, they are cheap and naff, common and nasty.
WELL im buying it arent i? Cant people just be nice and non judgey???

Please dont flame me for this because i do know peoples opinions get to me too much. Could you suggest a suitable response please? Also what you think of the Quinny!

AIBU to still even look at the Quinny?
or AIBU to give a shit on thoughts?

showtunesgirl Wed 08-May-13 16:26:25

I'm afraid you can't win. I have a Bugaboo Bee and didn't want to buy it because I didn't want people to think that I WAS the kind of person who cares about brands of prams.

Then I realised I was being an idiot and bought one because it was the best pram for our needs. It had fuck all to do with being trendy or what not.

And where I live everyone seems to have either a Bugaboo or a Maclaren as our train station has loads of stairs and both makes of these prams are easy and light enough to nip up and down stairs.

I couldn't give a crap what pram people have, so long as they don't run over my toes or anything like that. grin

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 08-May-13 16:27:39

I really wanted a icandy but couldn't justify spending that much when I could get something very similar for a couple hundred less (oyster) since then I've been surprised how many people on benefits have the icandy not being judgey but there's a lot! Not sure how people can pick the icandy or bugaboo when they aren't rich it's a lot of money when you get get others that look nice and do the job for a lot less- sliver cross surf etc

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=quinny+buzz+3+red&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=IG-KUdmeNofGPOPmgZgE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=320&bih=416

This is the one that will suit us perfectly, and has been labelled.
I have a huge one at present that dd does not look comfortable in at all and slips around its a obaby Zezu

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 08-May-13 16:31:21

Have you actually had a play with the Quinny? I wouldn't buy a buggy without seeing if I liked it first. Have you looked at the mini city jogger or petite star zia?

ClaraOswald Wed 08-May-13 16:32:22

I only judge about pushchairs if it has five tonnes of shopping on the back, and has tipped backwards with a screaming child in it and there is no sign of an adult.

However, I do know a fair few people who have bought the buzz and end up hating it because the back wheels are so wide, they catch going around corners.

pictish Wed 08-May-13 16:32:38

In fact - my fil bought our first buggy for us. We didn't get to choose it. It was a very handsome and expensive Tuetonia Y2K. A Rolls Royce among buggies.
Stupid thing it was...too big to get in shop doors or on the bus without a fight.

I secretly bought a McLaren and only took the Rolls when we were visiting fil. What a waste of money! If they'd bothered to ask first I could've saved them hundreds.

The best value for money I have had over three children is whatever the cheapest £20 buggy in Argos is. I've had two of those and they did exactly what it said on the tin. The wheels went round and everything!

needaholidaynow Wed 08-May-13 16:32:39

Oh my god in heaven. I think I want to bang my OWN head against a wall, and I bet you do too!

louisianablue2000 Wed 08-May-13 16:32:57

I have been judged, apparently my buggy was 'getting really common'. Since I'd bought it because it was a double I couldn't give a shit. I'm now on DC3 and the buggy is still going strong, whereas the woman who criticized me bought a second buggy before her first child was a year old. Think I'd rather be common than buy a new buggy with every child. Not that I told her that, I just hoiked my judgy pants in private.

Wallison Wed 08-May-13 16:35:15

I understand what you mean about people judging you - I used to feel very self-conscious about the fifth-hand pram I had when I went to baby groups and everyone else there had what I thought were trendy buggies. But then I got a few nice comments about how great the pram was because the baby is higher up and facing you and also how handy it must be for shopping (which it was; with careful packing and stacking I could fit a whole week's worth including nappies onto the parcel shelf!) and I realised that most other people just think about practicalities rather than prams as status symbols and those that didn't weren't worth worrying about. I ended up loving that pram!

I had a go with it yes smile it's just the one that dd looked happy in aswell I liked the footrest

I had a basic lightweight mclaren. Think it cost about forty quid. It never crossed my mind that someone would give a toss about how I transported DC.
I ditched the expensive mamas and papas travel system as was too heavy and a PITA to fold. I gave it away to my Valkyrie mate smile

KansasCityOctopus Wed 08-May-13 16:40:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Wed 08-May-13 16:40:31

Wishful people on benefits may be owners of iCandy prams, doesn't mean they bought it though - in laws, second hand, family clubbing together.

How do people know others are on benefits? Do they have to wear a sign now?

mrsjay Wed 08-May-13 16:41:34

it is a thing with wheels that you push your baby in why do people care It is a pram I dont have babies anymore but I cant remember anybody commenting on the big maclaren buggies we had (*sp your mum probably has pictures of you in 1 luv grin)

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 08-May-13 16:44:20

Brian you are right I'm only talking about people I actually know of course not everyone on benefits just seems a lot to spend now pram solely. My salary and my partners is good but even we couldn't justify spending so much just on a pram when there's so much else to buy!

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Wed 08-May-13 16:44:32

I wanted an iCandy , then realised a Britax B-Smart something-or-the-other would meet my needs and look as nice, but for about £300 less.

Then I found it half price on kiddicare so a 600 package for 300!

Bought by my parents.

In fact, I remember being out in Glasgow with my mate one day. She too had mamas and papas travel system costing a fortune. She came home that day with a mclaren for exactly the same reasons as me.

usualsuspect Wed 08-May-13 16:47:29

Oh my, people on benefits are judged about their buggies
Fuck me I've heard it all now.

Maybe the should have a cardboard box on wheels

BrianCoxandTheTempleofDOOM Wed 08-May-13 16:48:19

I am amazed at how much.people will spend Wishful

I was looking for no more than 200, carseat inc, but mum got over excited and insisted on buying any pram I liked (lucky for her I don't take the piss)

Now mum, about that new plasma TV grin

mrsjay Wed 08-May-13 16:49:41

Oh my, people on benefits are judged about their buggies
Fuck me I've heard it all now.

sadly they are by fuckwits people who think they have a right to judge about a pram

TBH i never notice what prams that come into where I work it is just a pram

mrsjay Wed 08-May-13 16:50:17

back in the day it was just a pram non of this travel system malarky

NoelHeadbands Wed 08-May-13 16:50:37

Three kids.

Have never given the tiniest shit about prams and wouldn't know a Quinny Bugaboo Silver Cross Whevs if it jumped up and slapped me in the face.

I'm amazed at how into them some people are.

FunnysInLaJardin Wed 08-May-13 16:52:23

we had a Quinny and I never knew I was being judged as a chav! What a lot of nonsense. I just thought it looked quite cool confused But then I am old and out of touch and really really don't care

mrsjay Wed 08-May-13 16:52:24

I wanted an iCandy ,

I have read ^ 3 times as icarly confused

ENormaSnob Wed 08-May-13 16:56:12

I love prams but really don't give a shit what other people have.

Which model Quincy are you looking at?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now