to think children shouldn't have toy guns?

(183 Posts)
trianglesaregood Wed 08-May-13 13:55:18

At the park this morning and noticed some pre-school age boys playing, quite aggressively, with toy guns. One looked like some sort of machine gun complete with toy ammo! I was a bit shocked as I didn't think anyone gave their kids these kind of toys anymore; none of my friends do and I wouldn't think it appropriate for my children. Am I living in a bubble? Wondered what others thought?

hokeycakey Fri 10-May-13 16:37:23

Me & my siblings used to LOVE outdoing each other with our death scenes during games All that stuff is fun when you're a kid.... I really think people over think children's thought processes. I HATE any kind of violence it absolutely turns my stomach but the DCs and I have great games of chasing & shooting & swordplay etc it's fun

I know a few people who have a no guns rule even 1 parent who's 2 boys are not allowed to wear "combat trousers" yes you heard me right....
I think it's a bit ridiculous to get so wound up about it

MrsMelons Fri 10-May-13 16:46:33

People die because of real 'lots of things' but they don't due to the toy versions of things. I guess that is why I cannot understand the issue.

I do admire people who stick to their views on things like this though, if it means enough to someone and they carry it through then thats fine.

What annoys me is when people jump on the band wagon without thinking and just say they would never let their child have x, y or z without actually thinking about the reasons why/why not just because they think its the right thing to say.

Pew pew!

I had loads of toy guns as a kid. Waterpistols, cap guns, foam rocket launchers...

Now I'm a grown up and I don't have any guns. I've never shot anyone. I'm not a menace to society.

The DM must be so disappointed I turned out this way!

spidersandslugs Fri 10-May-13 17:02:39

I grew up playing with shop bought & self made (out of card, etc) toy weapons & I'm not a murderer or other criminal. Similarly I used to bottle feed my dolls as a child & have grown up to bf both dcs & am an advocate of bfing.

My son plays with toy weapons. He loves Horrible Histories, The Lord of the Rings, etc. Is interested in warfare, ancient civilization, etc... I really don't think he'll grow up to be a criminal if we guide him with proper values, etc...

YABVU.

IneedAsockamnesty Fri 10-May-13 17:17:51

Realistic looking toy guns are a no here as well but nerf guns not an issue.

VerySmallSqueak Sat 11-May-13 17:19:25

For me,I really don't think that having or not having toy guns relates to any gun fixation or criminal activity.

But I enjoy shooting and I do not want my DC's to see guns/rifles as toys.

They are to be used safely following the rules of the range etc etc.
Otherwise they are dangerous.

And when my DC's learn to shoot,I don't want that message diluted.

They are not toys,they are serious.

(But,FWIW,I also don't like killing games,either)

binger Sun 12-May-13 12:39:38

Here we have guns, swords and light savers (light sabers). Ds loves battling with his friends - they were all gifts btw.

When I was a little girl I had my own guns to play with.

Doesn't obviously bother me in the slightest.

k2togm1 Sun 12-May-13 13:07:26

In theory I agree with you, but as a child I loved guns! Soooo much fun to be had!!
I am now in no way violent, and am vegetarian purely for not liking the killing of animals, not for health not taste reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now