Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think children shouldn't have toy guns?

(183 Posts)
trianglesaregood Wed 08-May-13 13:55:18

At the park this morning and noticed some pre-school age boys playing, quite aggressively, with toy guns. One looked like some sort of machine gun complete with toy ammo! I was a bit shocked as I didn't think anyone gave their kids these kind of toys anymore; none of my friends do and I wouldn't think it appropriate for my children. Am I living in a bubble? Wondered what others thought?

SirBoobAlot Wed 08-May-13 13:56:12

Nope. YANBU. I hate toy weapons.

My son has a gun that fires foam bullets. He loves it and I have no issue with him having one.

FreudiansSlipper Wed 08-May-13 13:56:44

ds does not have any

so he makes his own from lego hmm

youmeatsix Wed 08-May-13 13:58:36

we decided no toy guns for our son, so any pencil or twig did him, taking something with ammo to a playpark isnt on though, not all children enjoy rough and tumble

picnicbasketcase Wed 08-May-13 13:58:36

Neither of my DC have ever had toy guns, and yes, as above, they make them out of sticklebricks, Lego and megabloks. It still filters in from somewhere.

Annunziata Italy Wed 08-May-13 13:58:49

It doesn't really bother me to be honest.

squoosh Wed 08-May-13 14:00:25

I'm not that bothered either.

elQuintoConyo Wed 08-May-13 14:00:55

I didn't have one (I'm a female) but I made one out of my Weebles' swing! I 'shot' my older sister a lot, which pissed her off grin

I don't want to buy one for DS. Bubble guns etc = fine, guns that look like guns = fuck no.

yousankmybattleship Wed 08-May-13 14:01:00

Doesn't bother me. My children have always had swords, disc shooters, nerfs etc. Don't see the problem.

HeySoulSister Wed 08-May-13 14:01:56

we lived on a garrison...where my dc dad was an armed guard on the gate.....why shouldn't they play?

CoolStoryBro Wed 08-May-13 14:02:10

My children love playing Nerf wars. They run around, they hide, they shoot each other. It's literally hours and hours of fun.

I'm really not that bothered. In fact, DH and I join in!

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 08-May-13 14:02:12

If they don't have them they'll use their imagination, even with pointy fingers.
And that's boys and girls, I'm old but was brought up with little pistols with caps and we played detectives or cowboys people.
I assure you I'm a lovely peaceful human being.

HeySoulSister Wed 08-May-13 14:02:26

do you feel the same way about naice wooden archery sets op?

PlasticLentilWeaver Wed 08-May-13 14:02:28

Can't beat a good nerf battle with the kids grin

My DS loves his toy guns.....doesn't mean he is going to grow up and be a gun wielding maniac. It's what little boys like, why shouldn't they play with them? YABU!

HeySoulSister Wed 08-May-13 14:03:28

and just the weather for water guns!!

5madthings Wed 08-May-13 14:03:46

When ds1 was little I tried to have a no toy gun rule...another three boys later it has not worked.

Of they don't have toy guns they use sticks or make them out of Lego etc, they love Nerf guns and have a potato gun.

They know not to point them at people and its just play the same,e as their toy swords' light sabers and bow and arrow.

ElleMcFearsome Wed 08-May-13 14:04:15

I was all anti-guns, then, as Freudian said, mine made them from lego, or as a last resort, out of their fingers (with accompanying 'bang bang' noises)...

ouryve Wed 08-May-13 14:04:28

Mine don't have toy guns and even DS1, who is pretty inventive with anything he finds, doesn't make them.

Then again, he doesn't watch anything with guns in on TV. He knows what they are, of course, but doesn't see any entertainment value in them.

ElleMcFearsome Wed 08-May-13 14:05:01

x-post with LBE smile

DialsMavis Wed 08-May-13 14:06:38

For me personally
Guns that look like guns= not OK (people still gave them to DS though, angry ex mil

Nerfs, space guns, water pistols, bubble guns= OK

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 08-May-13 14:07:08

I loved disc shooters even more than ds did.grin

HeySoulSister Wed 08-May-13 14:07:36

but they are still gun shaped!!!

LowLevelWhinging Wed 08-May-13 14:07:40

yep, we started off as idealistic parents with a no gun policy. 7 years later and we have an armoury cupboard shock hmm

they blummin love it and it doesn't bother me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now