Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have a party a week or so after neighbour has a baby

(118 Posts)
kitsilano Wed 08-May-13 10:40:16

We are planning to have a party for around 30 - 35 friends in a couple of weeks. Saturday night.

Neighbour (in semi-detached house) is due to give birth imminently (first baby) and I am becoming increasingly anxious that they will be really annoyed about the party, having just given birth and being exhausted etc and that it may cause major problems - and I can empathise with that.

Both of us have done building work in the last couple of years (them ongoing) so we've had to put up with a fair amount of noise from each other without major issues.

But we don't get on with them massively well (they were very annoyed about us building an extension and did everything they could to prevent it - before then doing the same and more themselves...). I always try to be cooperative and pleasant and certainly don't want to be in conflict with them.

This will be the first time we've had a party in the evening in the 5 years we have lived in the house.

How do you think I should handle it?

squeakytoy Wed 08-May-13 11:20:59

I wouldnt have thought a 40th party was going to be on the same sort of scale as an 18th or 21st where it is almost guaranteed that there will be a lot of teenage screeching, throwing up in flowerbeds, and general rowdiness.

OP has no obligation to arrange her social life around her neighbours baby.

Bogeyface Netherlands Wed 08-May-13 11:22:29

My 40th is in three weeks and I am having a party at our local pub. You get the room hire free if more than 30 people go, so they make their money on the increased bar take, and I am doing the food. Is that a possibility.

You can control the music etc but you cant control people who have had too much to drink, or are in the garden for a fag talking and singing at the tops of their voices!

DaveMccave Wed 08-May-13 11:24:49

It's your home but I would be worried to. I would let them know now, if she knows you are worried about disturbing her she will probably be a lot more tolerant. And most importantly, if she is exhausted the day before the party she can make arrangements to stay at a relatives or friends on party night or sleep more in the day. Not telling her would just be awful.

Yanbu and its rather thoughtful of you to think of your neighbour. Chances are, she will be up with new baby anyway and as you don't make a habit of parties at your home i wouldn't worry too much, just let her know beforehand.

Taffeta Wed 08-May-13 11:29:56

Let her know ASAP so she can make arrangements to be elsewhere if it really bothers her. But that's it, I def wld not have it elsewhere, you harly ever do it, its a special event etc.

Callisto Wed 08-May-13 11:30:55

I would and I would invite them and the new baby. It wouldn't even cross my mind to not have a party because some random has just had a baby. Though my parties are not loud and raucous ones that upset whole neighbourhoods.

iclaudius Wed 08-May-13 11:32:34

Personally I'd have cried - a lot but maybe I'm a wuss . I wouldn't do it I'd wait

Nanny0gg England Wed 08-May-13 12:02:40

It's your home but I would be worried to. I would let them know now, if she knows you are worried about disturbing her she will probably be a lot more tolerant. And most importantly, if she is exhausted the day before the party she can make arrangements to stay at a relatives or friends on party night or sleep more in the day. Not telling her would just be awful.
Sleep in more during the day? Stay at a relatives? Hahahahaha.
Sorry, but have you ever had a newborn?

I think the OP is in a tricky situation and is being considerate to even pose the question.
I don't think it's unreasonable to have the party, but I agree, warn the neighbours and be thoughtful about the noise and finish time.

Taffeta Wed 08-May-13 12:23:08

Don't get what the problem is staying with relatives with a newborn for a night. And yes have had 2. confused

Fourkisses Wed 08-May-13 12:31:37

It's your home and your husband's 40th. Of course yanbu to have a party. Invite the neighbours well in advance so they are forewarned (highly unlikely to come if they have a newborn and you don't really get on anyway) & can make alternative arrangements of they want. Tell them you will turn the music off at midnight & stick to it.
Hope the party goes well smile

sammysaidso Wed 08-May-13 12:39:11

The world can't stop just because someone has had a baby.
Enjoy your party.

JerseySpud Wed 08-May-13 13:07:01

YABU. It would be horrible with a newborn, people talking outside, music, shouting.

squoosh Wed 08-May-13 13:12:13

YANBU.

It's your home and it's your husband's 40th, go for it. The family with the baby need to adjust to the world around them, not the other way.

It's a good idea to let them know though.

Bunraku Wed 08-May-13 13:38:39

Yanbu as long as it stays under control. The only thing that bothers me is when it starts spilling onto the street and people are rowdy though it's mainly sports,18ths and 21sts that are culprits for this.

TippiShagpile Wed 08-May-13 13:43:20

As others have said, how about having it in a local pub or a hall nearby? That way you don't upset your neighbours (anything would have set me off in the first few days/weeks after I'd given birth). Remember those times when your baby took hours to go to sleep and how stressed you'd be if a party kept the baby awake? I don't think it's worth the aggro.

The added bonus is your house doesn't get messed. smile

Grammaticus Wed 08-May-13 13:47:20

Yes - warn them, tell them music off at midnight and stick to it. If she goes overdue she might still be in hospital anyway.

CoffeeShoppe Wed 08-May-13 13:47:53

have the party, in your own home. It is your home. They decided to have a baby, not you. You cant organise your life around someone who has had a baby. Give them notice, they can go out. A newborn can go anywhere til anytime of the day or night, so if they dont like it, they can go out.We used to take dd out at all times of the day and night . Even a walk on the beach at 4am. Dont let them spoil your party. It is a one off. You will have to listen to their baby scream for years to come!!

Have fun at your party.

KitchenandJumble Wed 08-May-13 13:51:04

YANBU. Presumably it will be a normal party for adults, not a wild free-for-all that goes on all night. Tell your neighbours in advance (or invite them to join in), turn the music down at a decent hour, and enjoy.

kitsilano Wed 08-May-13 14:28:43

Hmm - quite polarised opinions! I can see both sides. The reason we want to do it at home is because we want to provide all food and drink for our friends - affordable at home but gets pricey in pub/hired room.

It won't be mega late, no sound system and we are grown ups not teenagers. But there will be some music and obviously people will be drinking (though we definitely aren't shouting in the street types!) I already said to my DH we should make sure everyone's inside and the music turned down by 11.00. But the houses are semi-detached so I'm sure they'll still be able to hear something.

But then again I know how stressful and knackering it can be with a new baby and I'm generally a do as you would be done by person.

Also my feelings are complicated by how miserable and stressful they made our building project and the fact that I have been determined 100% to not do the same in return with theirs but be supportive and co-operative. I guess if I am honest I dont feel they've ever been thoughtful towards us - maybe that informs my attitude too.

Aargh.

bordellosboheme Wed 08-May-13 14:33:22

Yabu....... She will be tired, sore, wanting space. It's very mean I think ( sorry)

squoosh Wed 08-May-13 14:35:33

Honestly, you sound like a thoughtful and considerate person, more so than your neighbours. Music turned down by 11pm is more than respectful.

ENJOY THE PARTY!

EasilyBored Wed 08-May-13 14:36:55

It's one night. At a weekend. It's not like the OP has said that she's going to let her child have a drum kit next to one of the adjoining walls or anything. To be honest, if one night of a bit of noise from next door causes that much of an issue, they've got bigger problems.

Newborns never bloody sleep in the evening anyway! Just let them know you're having a party, invite them if she's feeling up to it, and keep the noise to a reasonable level after 11.

I didn't especially enjoy having my neighbours set off fireworks when I had a week old baby. But, you know, it was New Years Eve. It's not every night, and you get over it.

Sallyingforth Wed 08-May-13 14:37:41

Surely it's entirely possible to have a party without making unsociable noise?
People usually talk louder when they've had a drink but they don't need to shout unless you have loud music.

dexter73 Wed 08-May-13 14:39:33

Won't they be up all night anyway if they have a newborn?! (remembers sleepless nights!)

squoosh Wed 08-May-13 14:39:49

If people expect to live in complete silence they should go and live in a Trappist monastery, if you live in a semi detached in suburbia however you've got to accept a bit of noise from time to time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now