Do I ask friend to replace cake pan she ruined

(61 Posts)
jayisagirlsnametoo Wed 08-May-13 05:24:21

Hi, this is my first AIBU so please be kind! smile

I leant my friend my cake pan as she wanted to make a birthday cake for a mutual friend. When it was returned, the cake had clearly been cut in the pan as there were numerous scratches from the edge to the centre. It was non stick, but obviously now ruined by scratches. I know it isn't a huge item but I don't have a great amount of money and I'd only bought it to make a cake for someone else in the past.

Would I be unreasonable to ask for her to replace it, or does that seem petty over a cake pan?

jayisagirlsnametoo Thu 09-May-13 16:15:17

Hi all, sorry for not replying sooner, and thank you for all your input.

I do believe it is ruined, in the same way that a shirt would be if it had an ugly black stain on it that wouldn't wash out. It could still carry out the practical function of a shirt, but it would definitely be ruined.

It wasn't a cheap cake pan, but it wasn't overly expensive either. It is the principal of having something returned to me in a much different condition than I leant it out which bugs me. Whenever I borrow things I always make sure it is returned in the same condition, I forget that others aren't so careful! Next time (if there is a next time!) I will make sure to warn the borrower to treat it nicely!

Anyway, I texted my friend on the same night the pan was returned to me (when I wrote the OP) and she was very apologetic and said she would replace it before I suggested, and asked me where it had been bought so I know she will get me one of the same quality. Result!

EldritchCleavage Thu 09-May-13 16:16:41

Glad it's sorted out. By the way, TK Maxx is a great place for decent, inexpensive cake tins.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Thu 09-May-13 16:21:50

I think your friend is the petty one not to have noticed and offered to replace it. It's tricky - do you say nothing and inwardly seethe or point it out and risk the friendship? I think I'd have to say something - but you'd hope a real friend wouldn't put you in this position in the first place.
I'm not much help, am I?

Wibblypiglikesbananas Thu 09-May-13 16:22:37

X-post - glad to see it's sorted.

fromparistoberlin Thu 09-May-13 16:22:44

PETTY

use greaseproof paper!

jayisagirlsnametoo Thu 09-May-13 17:28:23

I don't really want to be using greaseproof paper, that was the reason to get a non-stick pan in the first place.

Unfortunately we don't live in the UK and there isnt any TK maxx/ Poundland- type shops anywhere near us.

but all sorted now anyway smile I'm very much looking forward to baking in my new pan. I think my friend responded well, she is not a bad or disrespectful person, just very careless and clumsy and i honestly don't think she even realised!

Thanks everyone!

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Thu 09-May-13 18:13:41

That's a good result. I would have texted her to. If I had accidently damaged something that had been lent to me by a friend I would be upset if they DIDNT let me know confused

TheRealFellatio Thu 09-May-13 18:15:27

I have loads of non sitck bakeware that has scratches and knife marks on it and it's all still perfectly usable and non-stick.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Thu 09-May-13 18:25:44

We must all be using different recipes smile. My scratched bakeware DOES stick , I can now only use it with cake cases.

Otherwise I use my 'unscratched' non stick tins

Thumbwitch Thu 09-May-13 23:22:32

Good result, well done.

If your non-stick is too scratched, the teflon starts to release bits into the food - we had a non-stick baking tray that did this, and a non-stick sauté pan - both had to be ditched.

ImagineJL Thu 09-May-13 23:31:36

Good result.

I would let her keep the scratched tin when you get your new one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now